Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have recently been told by other forum posters to

"get of my high horse,

"Get real"

"a triffle presumptuous"

"Take a chill pil"

"Chill out"

and accused of a "holier than though" attitude regarding the Formula 1 topic about speeding.

I can't help but wonder why people get so annoyed when a flagrant breech of the law is pointed out. Is it because they feel I'm highlighting one of their own failings?

The fact cannot be disputed that speeding is an offence, and anyone who exceeds a speed limit is at risk of being found out and prosecuted. Just because others choose to break a limit does not make it safe or wise to follow suite.

I do not claim to be a fault free driver, In fact I do have a speeding incident when a number of years ago I failed to see a 30 mph sign when leaving an unfamiliar island with numerous other signs around. A Gatso caught me. 33 years of clean driving ruined in an instance.

I do try to follow the speed limits and I find cruise control to be a very effective device to keep speed under control.

As for being pedantic about such topics; If an engineer specifies a 10mm nut and bolt fixing for a particular job and the wide boy in purchasing decides he can get a better deal by ordering 11mm bolts (which will not fit or match the specification), who is in danger of a formal reprimand?

The law specifies speed limits and drives should abide by them. The law applies to you as well as the next guy.

It is highly irresponsible for persons to post on the forum with their exploits and offering suggestions that demonstrate breaking the law is acceptable risk or practice.

I will continue to comment on such instances when I spot them and I think a point needs to be made.

My ideal high horse is a rocking or dray horse,

My life is just as real (but different) to yours and no less valid.

Chil pills are available on prescription only!

I'm a comfortable 37C already so no need to chill out.

And God and I have regular board meetings.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi John L,

I can't argue with anything you said there, but I hope there was a smiley hidden away somewhere.

Somebody suggested special parking spaces for dogs.

Somebody else (possibly you?) sent up a howl of protest, pointing out that children are much more important.

Why bother throwing a wobbly, I though, "Parking for dogs" will never happen. Subsequent mail proved me wrong. Two thoughts about that.....

Disabled toilets are toilets that are equiped to be used by people who are disabled. They are not DEDICATED to the sole use of people who are disabled. Courtesy suggests they should not be used by someone who doesn't need them, IF OTHER TOILETS ARE AVAILABLE. The same should apply to parking spaces, etc. Why should anyone drive ten miles into town, then be unable to do their shopping, because there is nowhere to park ..... except in one of several empty disabled bays? Thats a question. Discuss!

Humans are at the top of the Food Chain. This gives us the right to decree that our children have a better right to parking spaces than dogs. But there are some humans who consider themselves higher up the Food Chain than us. I bet you can think of a few professional groups who think like that. Whatever, it is illegal/immoral to leave an animal in distress in a hot car. Solution? "Leave your dog at home!" or "Don't have a dog!". Can't argue with that, but while on the subject, how about "Get a smaller car, or a bike!" Or "Keep campers and caravans out of town ..... or off the road .... or anywhere they can be seen".

Then we can start on the number of children you can have, or euthanasia, or WHY?

Anyway, a problem has been identified, ie, dogs suffer in hot cars. So, think of a solution that doesn't involve banning something. For instance, a big sun-shade that folds out like a pram hood. Or an air conditioning unit that fits inside the car's tailgate, powered by a battery capable of running for an hour with the engine switched off. Er ..... I know nothing about AC systems. Plunka Wallah?

John L, none of the above was aimed specifically at you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Surfer,

I would be interested to know on what grounds practising Christians would be offended by the title or content of my post?

I am a Practising Christian my self, and when ever I attend Mass or any other meeting with a religious thread, we invite God to join us and help with our thoughts and activity.

As several of those meetings are real Board meeting, in our eyes and thoughts God is with us.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Why do christians (and doctors) keep on practicing?

How much practice do they need before they good enough to get on and do it properly??

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
John

You're one of the few people who's postings can be trusted to have balanced and informed answers/views on many of the subjects covered on the forum.

I would hope you will keep 'ploughing your own furrow' for as long as possible and not take some of the more whimsical replies to heart.

As for people contacting their God, i hope it is fruitful for them and they're signed up to good server.

Sedo

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
It's good to see that the UK government 'Speed Kills' propaganda has worked on at least one person but I guess that message was easier than the real 'Inappropriate Speed Kills'.

I freely admit I break speed limits when I think that my speed is appropriate for the situation.

Speed limits are by definition arbitrary, more so when they were lowered on roads, quickly followed by 'Safety Cameras'. That is pure revenue generation, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't understand how I can be a legal & safe driver, driving to a channel port at 130 kph & then become public enemy number one by driving at the same speed, on the same kind of road in the same car when I get off the ferry in the UK.

Before anyone has too much of a heart attack, that's driving solo, even if our tow car could tow at 130 kph, I wouldn't because I feel that it would be inappropriate, not because some faceless bureaucrat told me so.

I've just returned from a couple of weeks in the USA & I noticed that where there were roadworks the signs read 'Fines doubled in road works when workers present' much more sensible that sticking up SPECS cameras but I guess they don't generate the fines to actually pay for the road works.

Your engineer/buyer comment is totally spurious, firstly a 11mm bolt wouldn't fit a 10 mm hole, or shouldn't if the engineer has done his job correctly, secondly, if they are any good, the buyer & engineer should work together at the design stage.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Nick in France

I've worked with people who'd probably get a 11mm bolt in a 10mm hole, given the right sized hammer and pray since when have buyers and engineers worked together.

Imm sure if the buyer got a big enough discount or kick back they'd order 12mm or beyond.

Sedo

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
If the buyer had any sense he would buy 12mm as 11mm is a special non preferred size and probably only made to order. (see Machinery's Handbook for ISO Metric sizes)

And yes you would just about get a 11mm in a clearance hole for a 10mm........ a bit tight!!!

Now come on Prof' you're letting the standards slip.

;-)

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
If the buyer had any sense he would buy 12mm as 11mm is a special non preferred size and probably only made to order. (see Machinery's Handbook for ISO Metric sizes)

And yes you would just about get a 11mm in a clearance hole for a 10mm........ a bit tight!!!

;-)
Blimey this one is deep! : )

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just think along the lines of Dave Allen when he closed his shows with those words "May your God be with you". I took this as meaning there is more than one God and it all depends on your religion and beliefs.

I am a member of a well known gentleman's society where by we are told to worship your idol. When I questioned this the reply was that if your wife is your idol then worship her. It was left to the individual to define the term "idol".

I am also a believer and think that etiquette dictates that politics and religion should not be discussed on an open forum unless it is related to one or both of these topics. Therefore on this belief I will sign off.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John

You're one of the few people who's postings can be trusted to have balanced and informed answers/views on many of the subjects covered on the forum.

I would hope you will keep 'ploughing your own furrow' for as long as possible and not take some of the more whimsical replies to heart.

As for people contacting their God, i hope it is fruitful for them and they're signed up to good server.

Sedo
Thank you for your coments

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Charlie said:

Am I missing something here.............WHATS THIS GOT TO DO WITH CARAVANING ??????

Not a lot . BUT when I am sitting here in an on site internet cafe with pouring rain outside then I find it very amusing and for once think the Prof may have let his guard down.

I know he is a "Roman Candle", as indeed am I.

I suspect he may have been educated by the Jesuits or Christian Brothers; and hence the excellent attention to fine detail.

Worst of all I think he must be taking something because a good sense of humour seems to be emerging.

God I must be a sad dog doing this now! LOL!

I bet Prof uses or used to put AMDG at the top of all his personal letters?

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's good to see that the UK government 'Speed Kills' propaganda has worked on at least one person but I guess that message was easier than the real 'Inappropriate Speed Kills'.

I freely admit I break speed limits when I think that my speed is appropriate for the situation.

Speed limits are by definition arbitrary, more so when they were lowered on roads, quickly followed by 'Safety Cameras'. That is pure revenue generation, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't understand how I can be a legal & safe driver, driving to a channel port at 130 kph & then become public enemy number one by driving at the same speed, on the same kind of road in the same car when I get off the ferry in the UK.

Before anyone has too much of a heart attack, that's driving solo, even if our tow car could tow at 130 kph, I wouldn't because I feel that it would be inappropriate, not because some faceless bureaucrat told me so.

I've just returned from a couple of weeks in the USA & I noticed that where there were roadworks the signs read 'Fines doubled in road works when workers present' much more sensible that sticking up SPECS cameras but I guess they don't generate the fines to actually pay for the road works.

Your engineer/buyer comment is totally spurious, firstly a 11mm bolt wouldn't fit a 10 mm hole, or shouldn't if the engineer has done his job correctly, secondly, if they are any good, the buyer & engineer should work together at the design stage.
Hello Nick,

My thread has not related speed to safety at any point, it has solely been to do with the legal aspect of speed and exceeding speed limits.

I cannot condone your attitude towards disregarding speed limits, but I do agree that some limits have been set lower than necessary.

That however does not give a driver any legal right to speed.

By the same token there are some roads where in my opinion the speed limit is too high for safe travel, so using a speed appropriate to the conditions is right as long as it does not exceed the legal limit.

G

Interesting thread starter there "Prof"

"Chill" Really means don't take things literal, I mean the speeding statement and all.

Why Preach about it, yes its a Traffic offence , but unless a serious breech of the seed limit takes place, it is not a criminal offence,and therefore should not be spoken or viewed as such.

Nor does it break any of the ten commandments either!

"inappropriate speed" Which is not necessarily speeding ie breaking the speed limit,is guilty of far more serious accidents than somebody doing 71/72/73 ect mph down a m/way and as I have yet to see a copy of a speeding ticket issued on the motorway for anything less than 79mph when 70mph was the indicated speed, it seems the police don't regard this in the same vein as you and others do.

Nor does travelling at the speed limit, "make it safe or wise"

Good drivers do that, and plenty of Bad drivers stick to the speed limit and course havoc!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Am I missing something here.............WHATS THIS GOT TO DO WITH CARAVANING ???????
Hello Charlie,

This is to do with caravanning, because the thread was seeded by a contributor criticising a tower whilst probably committing the same offence them selves.

It does seem to be common practice for many caravanner's to disregard legal speed limits, and feel they have nothing to answer for. yet when the error of their ways is pointed out, they are up in arms about it and start to blame the messenger.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Nothing to do with dogs, but seems a good a place as any.....

The story goes that a council official was given the job of deciding what speed limits should go where. He had to be chaufeured around town by a colleague ..... because he couldn't drive.

The local police visited my milkman at home, told him that he must not drive his HGV cattle truck when drunk..... but it was OK to drive his small pick-up. Believe me .... he got rolling drunk every Sunday lunchtime, and drove home afterwards.

Urban myths? I'm not so sure.

Er, Christions are not the only religion to have a god.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

;-)
Hi Reg,

I stated the engineer had specified a 10mm fixing, that implies the engineers had done all the necessary calculation and tests to confirm the required performance of the specified fitting. 11mm was not to specification for what ever reasons, even if it would pass through the prepared hole.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Charlie said:

Am I missing something here.............WHATS THIS GOT TO DO WITH CARAVANING ??????

Not a lot . BUT when I am sitting here in an on site internet cafe with pouring rain outside then I find it very amusing and for once think the Prof may have let his guard down.

I know he is a "Roman Candle", as indeed am I.

I suspect he may have been educated by the Jesuits or Christian Brothers; and hence the excellent attention to fine detail.

Worst of all I think he must be taking something because a good sense of humour seems to be emerging.

God I must be a sad dog doing this now! LOL!

I bet Prof uses or used to put AMDG at the top of all his personal letters?

Cheers

Dustydog
Dusty

Sorry but what you "know" is wrong, and I am not going to explain it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts