Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We would love to visit holland,Would April be a good time to go?has any one else been?What was your holiday like and does anyone have any recommendations. Thanks Catherine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Catherine

We have done Holland a couple of times at Easter. We went especially for the bulb fields. Even if you are not into plants and gardens you really should go to Keukenhof Bulb Fields, it is a lovely day out and a wonderful spectacle. Delft is a special place with all its canals and bridges. Do take bikes if you have them, but take care on the roads as pushbikes take priority in places. We went with the Caravan Club using one of their inclusive packages. It worked out really good value for money and much cheaper than going solo. Several coach trips and meals were included in the price and we could choose which crossing to take. On the second trip we took the package and then extended the trip at the simple cost of the extra nights. I think the Club have just offered a similar deal at the moment and if you are not members it may well be worth while joining.

Happy Travels BarryB

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Catherine,

I work in Schiedam (near Rotterdam) and it's a great country, filled with friendly, open people, so I'd hope and expect you would have a great time.

Holland is small country, so I'd be tempted to stay in one place and travel around from there.

As Barry already posted, Delftse Hout (www.delftsehout.nl) is a good central location for Amsterdam, Leiden, and Rotterdam. Of course the centre of Delft is only 10 - 15 minutes walk away - or you can take a bus from the campsite to Delft train station.

We've stayed at Delftse Hout several times, very popular with local people for the weekends, good site with good facilities.

Visiting the "Randstad" - the area encompassing Amsterdam, Leiden, Delft and Rotterdam - don't drive - take the train - the train is fast, clean, and cheap.

Note: If you park your car in a town centre, or buying a train ticket, you will need cash. Credit cards are not accepted - the Dutch have a special PIN card that only works in Holland - it's a card that you charge with money and then empty as you use it.

Nearly everywhere else, except car parking meters and train stations readily accept UK credit cards.

Shopping:

Unlike the UK and France, the Dutch don't have large out of food shops like Tesco - these are still in the city centres. Albert Heijn (pronounced Hine) is the largest supermarket chain and they are everywhere - good value and quality.

You have a caravan so you must visit "Camping Sport De-Wit" in Schijndel, near the city of 's-Hertogenbosch. http://www.de-wit.nl/ Why? It's the largest camping and caravan shop in Europe - about 70,000 sq metres (7 football pitches?) - it has everything and the prices are good.

If you need to buy anything, even toilet chemicals, find the best price in the UK - convert into Euro - and it should be cheaper at De-Wit. About a 2 hour drive from Delft or Brugge, about 1 hour from Renesse.

Other places to visit:

If the weather is good I'd recommend the coast between Middelburg and Renesse - lots of good camp sites around the town of Renesse (popular with Dutch and German families - especially Bank Holidays).

Renesse is about a 1 hour drive south of Delft - lots of Avocets and Eider ducks if you like birds.

Visit Middelburg and Goes (pronounced "Goose" but you won't get the G sound right) both are pretty towns, and since you are outside the "Randstad" parking in towns is cheap and easy.

Any further South and you are in Belgium, and I recommend finding a campsite near Gent or Brugge (or Bruges - but note this is the Dutch speaking part of Belgium and you won't be popular trying out your knowledge of French on the locals)

Brugge is outstanding and definitely worth a visit - and a good stop over if you are crossing the Channel from Dover. There is a really large "Park and Walk" - just south of the city centre.

Crossing the North Sea, Norfolk Lines from Dover to Dunkerque is really good value, or Harwich to Europoort on the HSS is also good value.

Web-sites:

Take a look at http://www.holland.com/uk/ for what's on in Holland

Anything specific you want to know, just leave a message.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Barry.thank you for your reply,Keukenhof is one of the places I am keen to visit having seen the pictures,I was worried that at Easter I would not see it at its best but am now reassured that I can enjoy the gardens in April.We are members of the CC and I noticed the package,however I haven't ridden a bike since I was at

school! perhaps Holland can convert us into a cycling family. Can you hire bikes when you get there do you know and how is the journey from calais.Thanks again for your reply. Catherine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Catherine,

I work in Schiedam (near Rotterdam) and it's a great country, filled with friendly, open people, so I'd hope and expect you would have a great time.

Holland is small country, so I'd be tempted to stay in one place and travel around from there.

As Barry already posted, Delftse Hout (www.delftsehout.nl) is a good central location for Amsterdam, Leiden, and Rotterdam. Of course the centre of Delft is only 10 - 15 minutes walk away - or you can take a bus from the campsite to Delft train station.

We've stayed at Delftse Hout several times, very popular with local people for the weekends, good site with good facilities.

Visiting the "Randstad" - the area encompassing Amsterdam, Leiden, Delft and Rotterdam - don't drive - take the train - the train is fast, clean, and cheap.

Note: If you park your car in a town centre, or buying a train ticket, you will need cash. Credit cards are not accepted - the Dutch have a special PIN card that only works in Holland - it's a card that you charge with money and then empty as you use it.

Nearly everywhere else, except car parking meters and train stations readily accept UK credit cards.

Shopping:

Unlike the UK and France, the Dutch don't have large out of food shops like Tesco - these are still in the city centres. Albert Heijn (pronounced Hine) is the largest supermarket chain and they are everywhere - good value and quality.

You have a caravan so you must visit "Camping Sport De-Wit" in Schijndel, near the city of 's-Hertogenbosch. http://www.de-wit.nl/ Why? It's the largest camping and caravan shop in Europe - about 70,000 sq metres (7 football pitches?) - it has everything and the prices are good.

If you need to buy anything, even toilet chemicals, find the best price in the UK - convert into Euro - and it should be cheaper at De-Wit. About a 2 hour drive from Delft or Brugge, about 1 hour from Renesse.

Other places to visit:

If the weather is good I'd recommend the coast between Middelburg and Renesse - lots of good camp sites around the town of Renesse (popular with Dutch and German families - especially Bank Holidays).

Renesse is about a 1 hour drive south of Delft - lots of Avocets and Eider ducks if you like birds.

Visit Middelburg and Goes (pronounced "Goose" but you won't get the G sound right) both are pretty towns, and since you are outside the "Randstad" parking in towns is cheap and easy.

Any further South and you are in Belgium, and I recommend finding a campsite near Gent or Brugge (or Bruges - but note this is the Dutch speaking part of Belgium and you won't be popular trying out your knowledge of French on the locals)

Brugge is outstanding and definitely worth a visit - and a good stop over if you are crossing the Channel from Dover. There is a really large "Park and Walk" - just south of the city centre.

Crossing the North Sea, Norfolk Lines from Dover to Dunkerque is really good value, or Harwich to Europoort on the HSS is also good value.

Web-sites:

Robert
Hello Rob,Thank you for all the information ,it is all really useful, I am thinking of booking at Camping Koningshof or camping Duinrell,however that has a big water park attached to it and I would like to see lots of Holland and I'm not sure I will be able to drag the children away!What is it like for eating out as a family at restaurents?Is it quite expensive?Also how is the journey from calais is it quite straightforward?This is only our second year

of caravanning so still getting used to it!I will be booking on Monday. Thanks again for your reply.Catherine

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
My Wife & I went first week in May last year (05) staying at Camping Koningshof just outside Rijnsburg,just over an hour from Europort and less from the "Hook" a very good site, being central for most "attractions" & on the southern tip of the bulb fields. The best time I reckon to see the fields at their best would be about 3rd week in April, when we were their, the growers had already started "deadheading" the bulbs in the fields, although there was still a good show in "Keukenhof Gardens" There is also a big fesival with decorated floats held in a small town just north of the campsite, I think its on the 3rd weekend of April.

There is also the European Space Agency Site, 10 minuets drive from the caravan site, well worth a visit on a rainy day, you can see satellites being built for the "Arian" programmes & the museum has hundreds of exibits & models.

Check out the Campsite website at www.koningshofholland.nl

Tankie

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Catherine,

Shopping:

Other places to visit:

Web-sites:

Robert
Hi Catherine

The HSS ferry from Harwich goes to Hook of Holland which is much closer to Camping Koningshof, only about 30 mins depending on traffic,its a very good ferry too, you could also use the normal ferry on the same route but takes a feww hours longer, but you can choose a night or day sailing.When you arrive in the Hook you only have a straight forward run on mostly dual carriageways or motorways.

The Europort boat sails from Hull but that puts you straight into the Rotterdam morning rushhour!!!

Tankie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Rob,Thank you for all the information ,it is all really useful, I am thinking of booking at Camping Koningshof or camping Duinrell,however that has a big water park attached to it and I would like to see lots of Holland and I'm not sure I will be able to drag the children away!What is it like for eating out as a family at restaurents?Is it quite expensive?Also how is the journey from calais is it quite straightforward?This is only our second year

of caravanning so still getting used to it!I will be booking on Monday. Thanks again for your reply.Catherine
Hi Tankie,

Thanks for your reply,just has to get the map out to see where Harwich is! We live in Portsmouth so I think the journey to Dover would be shorter this side. Hopefully it will not be more than a four hour journey the other side.

Thanks again Catherine.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies they were really helpfull,will hopefully be booking tomorrow.Catherine
Have now booked this holiday,but was a bit peeved to see that we could have made all the same arrangements for the ferry,and stayed

at the same site in a static caravan cheaper!!makes you wonder!

Catherine

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Have now booked this holiday,but was a bit peeved to see that we could have made all the same arrangements for the ferry,and stayed

at the same site in a static caravan cheaper!!makes you wonder!

Catherine
Hi Catherine,

Have you looked at camping cheques .co.uk

It can save lots out of seacon.

regards

oldwinegum

TRENDING THREADS