going to croatia via austria (opinions needed please)

Sep 3, 2005
Visit site
hi guys

going to croatia in may via saltzburg & vienna.

any info on sites around would be most welcome especially any info of sites around Novigrad, Krk & Zadar,anything to especially look out for in croatia?

bobby

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

We are going to Porec this summer. Can you recommend any MUST SEE areas for tourists. I have printed much info off the internet, but I do not want to miss out on the MUSTs, also we are planning on a week in Austria on our return near Zell-a-See. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
To be honest, I can't really remember a real jaw-dropping MUST-SEE in the area. Don't get me wrong, the Istrian peninsula is not unpleasant in any way but there's nothing really spectacular - the sort of area I would describe as nice to have visited but not really worth going to a second time.

Porec itself is a picturesque town, as is Rovini a bit further south. It's certainly worth taking a day cruise along the coast from Porec to Rovini and back as it takes you up the Limski Fjord which is pretty. Pula right a the end of the Istrian peninsula probably has the most to offer for sightseeing with its many Roman remains, including the amphitheatre.

I can't really comment on Austria because we only passed through in transit and only stayed there one night and then only on the way back.

Nevertheless, if I can be of any more assistance, you can write me an email. You can find the address on my website: www.schelisch.de

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Manda,

Sue and I went to a large site near Porec in August 2004. Have to say I totally agree with Lutz's comments. Very glad we went, had a good time, but difficult to identify MUST SEE things. A lot of the Istrian Peninsula looks just like the rest of the Istrian Peninsula.

What made it a good holiday? Well, the welcome was very good, people very friendly - (all desperate to try out their english so my rather poor German had almost no outings - all menus in multiple languages inc english. Actually it is a little disapointing how much english is spoken on the continent these days.) The sea is really nice for swimming and snorkling. Almost no beaches, but the whole coast has loads of flat rocks which are fine for sunbathing and then you just drop off the "shelf" into the water. The highlight of the holiday was definitely the fish supper cruise which took in Limski Fjord.

Have a good time,

Mike A

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No info on sites but bear in mind Croatia is not in the EU so worth checking your insurance and green card are valid.
Tell me about it. Clarifying Car insurance was a nightmare. Most would not insure us, some only third party. Eventually sorted with Cornhill. What surprised us most, both the clubs would send you there and provide you a pitch etc, but where unable to offer car insurance ??? (van is covered though)

Thanks for the above comments.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bobby

We wnt to Croatia last year and had a fantastic holiday. Like everybody else says there are no absoloute must sees but the whole Istrian peninsula is very scenic. We stayed at Lanterna camp just outside of Porec which is a very big site, but it was very well run with plenty of restaurants, play areas for the kids, shops and excellent toilet/shower blocks. The pool was noce and as the site is on the sea front the pool doesn't get too crowded (even in August). If you are desperate to do some sightseeing I recommend Lake Bled in Slovenia, it is quite a drive and don't attempt it at the weekend - but it's well worth it when you get there. The best thing for us about Croatia is the people they are very friendly and welcoming and as others have said they are mostly fluent in English (not to mention German, Italian and Croatian) they put us to shame.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Bobby

We wnt to Croatia last year and had a fantastic holiday. Like everybody else says there are no absoloute must sees but the whole Istrian peninsula is very scenic. We stayed at Lanterna camp just outside of Porec which is a very big site, but it was very well run with plenty of restaurants, play areas for the kids, shops and excellent toilet/shower blocks. The pool was noce and as the site is on the sea front the pool doesn't get too crowded (even in August). If you are desperate to do some sightseeing I recommend Lake Bled in Slovenia, it is quite a drive and don't attempt it at the weekend - but it's well worth it when you get there. The best thing for us about Croatia is the people they are very friendly and welcoming and as others have said they are mostly fluent in English (not to mention German, Italian and Croatian) they put us to shame.
Claire

Please don't forget by carrying out the conversation in English you are helping them along , so please don't feel sorry you can't speak Croat or German,or French etc, If the British had not travelled, albeit with an army, what would tourism be like today, no one speaking to each other ??

In 30/40 years the only way to communicate across the world will be in English/Spanish/Arabic/Chinese. Aren't we glad English will be the swing i.e an Arab wishing to converse with a Chinese will do it in English. A Spaniard wishing to speak to a Chinese will also do it in English etc. A bit off topic I know sorry for that

regards

Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts