Going to France,the best way to do it

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
We're taking the van to France next year for the first time(can't wait),and I'm undecided what is the best way to do this.I've got 220 miles to the Eurotunnel(Tesco vouchers),then 340 in France,and have one overnight stop somewhere.
Would it be better to stop in the Folkstone area overnight, catch a really early crossing say 5am,and do the second leg in one go or get a midday crossing and stop approx. 80 miles in France overnight?
Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers Richard et merci beaucoup
smiley-smile.gif
smiley-smile.gif

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Richard
I would strongly recommend that you do an overnight en route in France rather than chasing for 340 miles in one go, especially if it is your first time caravanning in France. If you let us know your origin and destination, I am sure forum members can recommend some possible overnight stops.
Sante
Paul

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'd agree with Paul - stop overnight in France. Apart from anything else you don't have to book overnight stops in France - you can just find a nearby site when you want to stop - rather than have to make a destination by a particular time! It's so much easier! Generally any town and village of any size has a municipal (or other) campsite where you can just pull in and find a pitch. Roads are quieter too, so you may find you can drive much further in France than you imagine. We've done 350 miles in one go, so it is possible but I wouldn't suggest it for a first time.
Suggestions of timing will also vary depending on the day and date you're travelling. A weekend ferry/Eurotunnel is best because traffic is (generally) less on the M25 - but some weekends in France are really busy - the start and end of French holidays for example. Give us a few more details of dates/routes etc and you'll get some more comprehensive answers.

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello Val and Paul,
Thanks for replying.We are travelling on a Saturday/Sunday in June next year to the CCC site Vallee des Vignes which is at Concourson-sur-Layon about 28 miles south of Angers in the Western Loire area.
I quite agree,I think 340 miles in one day is too much.In the past I've done 280 but was absolutely shattered,and just glad to get home.
Cheers Richard
smiley-smile.gif
smiley-smile.gif

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Then I would definitely do the overnight in France - if you're able to catch a lunch time Eurotunnel, you could perhaps think of stopping of at the St Claire campsite at Neufchatel en Bray - which is a little more than your 80 miles, but on good quick roads, and a good place to stop overnight.
Have a great time!

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi again Richard
You should have no problems travelling through France or finding an overnight site for a weekend in June.
The most direct route would be A16 and then A28 to Rouen and the A28/A11 to Le Mans and Angers. I recommend the A16/A28 to Rouen - it is quite a pleasant route and the only tolls are on the A16 from Boulogne to the junction with the A28 near Abbeville. I haven't done the A28 south of Rouen, but others have commented that the tolls are particularly heavy on this stretch. A good alternative, which I have used, is to take the N154 south to Nonancourt (near Dreux) and then the N12 west to Alencon. The N154 is dualled (and initially a toll free A154) throughout this stretch. Do not be concerned about the traverse of the outskirts of Rouen. It is well signposted and avoids the city centre.
As regards overnight campsites, as Val has said, there will be no problem finding a site and a pitch, especially in June. The Caravan Club guide to Europe (Volume 1) is very useful as it lists lots of sites in France, with comments and descriptions from individual members. Otherwise, the Michelin Camping guide is very reliable.
The only site near to your potential route, which I know personally, is at St Leonard Les Bois, which is southwest of Alencon. It is a lovely little site (in the CC guide) in an interesting area, but it might be a little out of the way for an overnight stop.
Look forward to your trip. Camping and caravanning in France is great, especially outside the peak season from 14 July to 15 August.
Bonne Vacances
Paul

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi Richard
I couldn't help but notice that you are using your Tesco Vouchers for the Eurotunnel. Have you exchanged the vouchers yet?
The only reason I ask is that, at the beginning of December all Tesco vouchers are only going to be worth 3 times their value, not 4 times like there are now. So for example £2.50 worth of Clubcard vouchers would get you £10.00 worth of Clubcard deals. The £2.50 will not only be £7.50. If you haven't exchanged them yet, then I would before the beginning of December to get your monies worth
smiley-wink.gif

Sam

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi Richard
Have camped at Vallee des Vignes numerous times it is one of our favourites well looked after site run by helpful Brits.We do the same journey as suggested by Val A we break the journey ay Neufchatel en Bray,its just off the motorway nice site then on to Val de Vignes.We travel from Yorkshire usually book 2.39PM train always turn up early they have always put us on an earlier train it just gives you a bigger buffer time should get any holdups on journey.
Cheers Rambler

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello Sam,
We exchanged them last night so that we would still get the 4 for 1 offer.
smiley-wink.gif
Exchanged £55 worth to get £220 against the ferry cost.I think it's a bit of a con really for them to suddenly devalue them,but anyway we're getting across the water next year for effectively nothing.
Cheers Richard

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello Rambler,
We're travelling down from Yorkshire(born and bred)as well,so I'm going to do exactly the same as yourself and Val A have suggested, which seems the best way to do the journey.
smiley-wink.gif

The site at Neufchatel looks to be just about halfway there,and as you say it's just a stones throw from the motorway.Looks ideal.
We're going to Vallee des Vignes because the CCC do a holiday rally there,which we thought would be something different to try.Really looking forward to it,only 8 months of work to get through.
Thanks for the info
Cheers Richard
smiley-smile.gif

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Hi Richard,
As you are stopping at Neufchatel a bit more info there is a supermarket about 500 yards away from the campsite fuel is a lot cheaper than using the motorway you will have to go solo though as as with most supermarket filling stations in France it is really tight and you will not get in with the van attached
Cheers Rambler

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
My apologies if this is a duplication - I think I timed out.

Having done it several times, Angers is viable in a day with an early (and well slept) start if you can split the driving.

Ask www.autoroutes.fr to do you a route for non-toll and towing a caravan - it is in French but Google does a good translation.

For a stop-over try Camping St Nicholas at Le Bec Hellouin north of Brionne. Autoroutes charts it as 165 miles from Calais. It is a cracking municipal site with resident wardens (who speak essentially no English,) has supeb facilities and they sell local (cloudy) cider which takes some beating. A tip: don't walk into Brionne unless you are very fit and mad: the path is steep and stoney, and you have to walk back UP it!
Look at
http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31225-camping-st-nicolas-le-bec-hellouin/
for more info.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts