Gone

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Have I missed something here, Why or who is persecuting a 4x4 owner over and above any other motoring group ?

After reading Lols post I'm I a tad worried that there are all these 4x4 drivers driving around - all of which sound really depressed.

Monkeys Husband

May 12, 2006
Visit site
I can assure everyone that I'm not depressed, Global Warming bring it on Brother.I am doing all I can to assist it with my bloody big caravan and likewise with my bloody big 4x4.

Why did we have an Ice Age ?? oh and why was the UK like a Rain Forrest when all that Coal was laid down 1000s of year ago?? Something to do with changing weather patterns ??? just asking.

Oh and why did we just record the Hottest day since 1911 ??? I know it must have been the Trams or the Railways back then, that's what the tree huggers want us to go back to 1911.

Frank

May 21, 2008
Visit site
How very "sad" !! ??

We are led to believe that just because a few "greenies" have moaned, LOL is giving up the chelsea tractor.

What a load of tosh.

I couldn't give a monkies what folk think, I'll drive what I like and tuff nuts. Even if it is a Renault Laguna.

I realy get fedup of people debating my sanity when I burn past their Impretsa's and hot Astra's on the way to work in my little Renault 5 "campus". That's the real problem the "campus" badge. Folk think that just because it is a bottom end range so called shopping car, you should potter around at 40Mph and not be doing 100Mph.

Yes I've mocked the chelsea tractor. (whoops there I go again). But every car has purposs in life.

Don't let people dictate what you do, just listen to advice,and then make "your mind" up.

Finally. Don't run guilt trips to others to justify choice.

Steve.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Have your early fears about the Sorento's MPG subsided, John?
They were verey real issues but, since fitting a TUNUT box, my mpg's improved to 30mpg solo and a very real and impressive increase in performance !

mpg when towing will be known next month !!

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
How very "sad" !! ??

We are led to believe that just because a few "greenies" have moaned, LOL is giving up the chelsea tractor.

What a load of tosh.

I couldn't give a monkies what folk think, I'll drive what I like and tuff nuts. Even if it is a Renault Laguna.

I realy get fedup of people debating my sanity when I burn past their Impretsa's and hot Astra's on the way to work in my little Renault 5 "campus". That's the real problem the "campus" badge. Folk think that just because it is a bottom end range so called shopping car, you should potter around at 40Mph and not be doing 100Mph.

Yes I've mocked the chelsea tractor. (whoops there I go again). But every car has purposs in life.

Don't let people dictate what you do, just listen to advice,and then make "your mind" up.

Finally. Don't run guilt trips to others to justify choice.

Steve.
this country is doing whot the rest of the world is stoping its becoming a communist state the guverment is telling us what we can and carnt do i thought it was a free country and that means freedem of chose pluss my new 4x4 is a lot more efficient than my mpv and it tows better

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The truth is, we have sold the Sorento and Wyoming. We are sick and tired of the constant badgering, an example of which is the way the BBC deals with the subject at the moment. Both on radio and television, they seem to report on 4x4s in a negative way. The recent Lib Dem proposal for gas guzzlers and parking effects all cars but the BBC felt fit to single out 4X4s. On Radio One, it was recently reported that 4x4s were dangerous because they had large blind spots and a driver may miss seeing a group of kids near the road. What utter drivel, what a malicious and downright untruthful thing to report on, but the BBC broadcast it anyway. These are just couple of examples of the way this country is going. Gavin hit the message on the head, tongue in cheek, maybe, but as sure as eggs are eggs, ten years down the line, there will be a lot less 4x4s of the type you drive, on our roads. Unless you are quite rich, but like smoking, it will be frowned upon. I hated selling the Sorento, I really did, but the greens didn't win, not by a long chalk. We do now have the 106, which my wife will have to learn to love, for a couple of years at least, but we have looked for other ways to continue with our leisure time. Have you noticed the price of gazebos on EBay recently, you can get a decent popup gazebo with four walls, for less than a

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What a lot of drivle. Are we expected to believe that diue to a lot of "anti" coverage by the media it would encoutrage us to give up our green holidays by selling our van and 4x4 at a loss. We contribute a lot less emisions than the average package tour participent.

Dont be fooled by the antis changing their coats.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What a lot of drivle. Are we expected to believe that diue to a lot of "anti" coverage by the media it would encoutrage us to give up our green holidays by selling our van and 4x4 at a loss. We contribute a lot less emisions than the average package tour participent.

Dont be fooled by the antis changing their coats.
Who said anything about making a loss?

Who said anything about encouraging?

You won't be encouraged, you'll be priced off the roads.

It's time that 4x4 owners got together and turned the tide, how I don't know, but something needs to be done, even if you start with this "Drivel"!

Our intension is to go back to 4x4 ownership in a couple of years. I just hope that's going to be financially viable.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
hi Lol,i think you,ve been a bit hasty.this is unreal,we are now at a point were internal combustion engines have never been so efficent.most diesels now come automatically with an rpc and were now on euro 4.in other words zero particulates out the exhaust.motor vehicles add up to 1% of total global warming.holes are now heeling up in the ozone.look at a 747 gallons of unburnt fuel pour out of them turbines ,they are so inefficent its untrue.dont be put off,whats the difference between a 4x4 and say a transit?get another van .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So very true, Seth. Perhaps I was a little hasty, but the motorhome I bought has been an itch that needed scratching for a long time. The latest engines both diesel and petrol are fantastic where emissions are concerned. The problem arises when multi media companies jump on the band wagon (witness tonights news report) and select a few observations to suit their own needs. Ask CliveV, he knows the arguments as much as anyone else.

For myself, this is probably the last throw of the dice where my particular grievance on the way 4x4 owners are treated. I have other fish to fry, starting with the problems faced by motorhomers, that of massively increased tax.

Make you want to go out and vote.....

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Well Lol think it looks gait and I bet you get a lot of fun out of it. I love to go for a fifth wheeler but we do not like the seats in the back part of the pick up and we have not seen one with buck beds in it for the kids.

Mark

May 4, 2005
Visit site
So Lol, you finaly went over to the dark side ;O)

A few of points....

6.2 chevy ? WHAT a towcar that will make !!! nice big Hobby , twin slideouts. tempted ?

When we go greenlaning at Easter can I follow you this time ? After all I did try and clear a path for your Sorento last year.

Did the new owner see the scratches by the way ?

Put the party tent on ebay as there will be ample room for all in the Chevy.

If everyone in this country stopped driving tomorrow so we had ZERO emmisions it would take China's growing economy only around 80 days to bring worldwide emmisions up to the same level.

Blair saving the world by pi$$ing in the ocean.

Enjoy the RV, quite tempted myself and of course you will be welcome to join us at Easter...thats assuming we pick a site with a wide enough entrance and not too far from a petrol station ;O)

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know a bout "dark Side", heavy side would be more appropriate. I'm sure I will be able to get studded tyres for the RV, in which case a little greenlaning might not be out of the question. The good thing is that if we do get stuck, who cares, fire up the genny, and put the kettle on.....

I managed to polish out most of the scratches, who would have thought that tears would be so abrasive?

It's nice to know we can still come to the Easter meet, missing that would be like missing our anniversary (whenever that is) and I'll try not to take up too much room.

Party at my place?

Have contacted Shell, and have fuel bowsers places along the way every 500 yards, I will probably have to free wheel it a bit though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Lol, just bought shares in Shell and await your first outing ;O)

With apologies to Darcy Dog on another forum

I thought the following just about sums up this whole thread.

Subject: The Squirrel and the Grasshopper

REST OF THE WORLD VERSION:

The squirrel works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building

and improving his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks he's a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter, the squirrel is warm and well fed. The

shivering grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies - out in the

cold.

THE END

THE BRITISH VERSION:

his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks

he's a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come

winter, the squirrel is warm and well fed.

A social worker finds the shivering grasshopper, calls a press

conference and demands to know why the squirrel should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others less fortunate, like the grasshopper,

are cold and starving. The BBC shows up to provide live coverage of the

shivering grasshopper; with cuts to a video of the squirrel in his

comfortable warm home with a table laden with food.

The British press inform people that they should be ashamed that in a

country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so

while others have plenty. The Labour Party, Greenpeace, Animal Rights

and The Grasshopper Council of GB demonstrate in front of the

squirrel's house. The BBC, interrupting a cultural festival special

from Notting Hill with breaking news, broadcasts a multi cultural choir

singing "We Shall Overcome". Ken Livingstone rants in an interview with

Trevor McDonald that the squirrel has gotten rich off the backs of

grasshoppers, and calls for an immediate tax hike on the squirrel to

make him pay his "fair share" and increases the charge for squirrels to

enter inner London .

In response to pressure from the media, the Government drafts the

Economic Equity and Grasshopper Anti Discrimination Act, retroactive to

the beginning of the summer. The squirrel's taxes are reassessed. He is

taken to court and fined for failing to hire grasshoppers as builders for the work he was doing on his home and an additional fine for contempt when he told the court he grasshopper did not want to work.

The grasshopper is provided with a council house, financial aid to

furnish it and an account with a local taxi firm to ensure he can be

socially mobile. The squirrels food is seized and re distributed to the

more needy members of society, in this case the grasshopper.

Without enough money to buy more food, to pay the fine and his newly

Imposed retroactive taxes, the squirrel has to downsize and start building a new home. The local authority takes over his old home and utilises it as a temporary home for asylum seeking cats who had hijacked a plane to get to Britain as they had to share their country of origin with mice. On arrival they tried to blow up the airport because of Britain's apparent love of dogs.

The cats had been arrested for the international offence of hijacking and attempted bombing but were immediately released because the police fed them pilchards instead of salmon whilst in custody. Initial moves to then return them to their own country were abandoned because it was feared they would face death by the mice. The cats devise and start a scam to obtain money from peoples credit cards.

A Panorama special shows the grasshopper finishing up the last of the

squirrel's food, though Spring is still months away, while the council

house he is in, crumbles around him because he hasn't bothered to

maintain the house. He is shown to be taking drugs.

Inadequate government funding is blamed for the grasshoppers drug

illness'. The cats seek recompense in the British courts for their

treatment since arrival in UK .

The grasshopper gets arrested for stabbing an old dog during a burglary

to get money for his drugs habit. He is imprisoned but released

immediately because he has been in custody for a few weeks. He is

placed in the care of the probation service to monitor and supervise

him. Within a few weeks he has killed a guinea pig in a botched

robbery. A commission of enquiry, that will eventually cost

GBP10,000,000 and state the obvious, is set up.

Additional money is put into funding a drug rehabilitation scheme for

grasshoppers and legal aid for lawyers representing asylum seekers is

increased. The asylum seeking cats are praised by the government for

enriching Britain's multicultural diversity and dogs are criticised by

the government for failing to befriend the cats. The grasshopper dies

of a drug overdose. The usual sections of the press blame it on the

obvious failure of government to address the root causes of despair

arising from social inequity and his traumatic experience of prison.

They call for the resignation of a minister.

The cats are paid a million pounds each because their rights were

infringed when the government failed to inform them there were mice in

the United Kingdom .

The squirrel, the dogs and the victims of the hijacking, the bombing,

the burglaries and robberies have to pay an additional tax on their pension funds, their extra taxes being required to pay for law and order and they are told that they will have to work beyond 65 whilst all government employees negotiate to keep their normal retirement age at 60 thus allowing those that make the decisions to retire earlier than the average whilst the rest of us work longer to pay for it.

The reason given is because of a shortfall in government funds.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With apologies to Darcy Dog on another forum... I couldnt put it any better

Subject: The Squirrel and the Grasshopper

REST OF THE WORLD VERSION:

and improving his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks he's a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter, the squirrel is warm and well fed. The

shivering grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies - out in the

cold.

THE END

THE BRITISH VERSION:

his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks

he's a fool, and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come

winter, the squirrel is warm and well fed.

A social worker finds the shivering grasshopper, calls a press

conference and demands to know why the squirrel should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others less fortunate, like the grasshopper,

are cold and starving. The BBC shows up to provide live coverage of the

shivering grasshopper; with cuts to a video of the squirrel in his

comfortable warm home with a table laden with food.

The British press inform people that they should be ashamed that in a

country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so

while others have plenty. The Labour Party, Greenpeace, Animal Rights

and The Grasshopper Council of GB demonstrate in front of the

squirrel's house. The BBC, interrupting a cultural festival special

from Notting Hill with breaking news, broadcasts a multi cultural choir

singing "We Shall Overcome". Ken Livingstone rants in an interview with

Trevor McDonald that the squirrel has gotten rich off the backs of

grasshoppers, and calls for an immediate tax hike on the squirrel to

make him pay his "fair share" and increases the charge for squirrels to

enter inner London .

In response to pressure from the media, the Government drafts the

Economic Equity and Grasshopper Anti Discrimination Act, retroactive to

the beginning of the summer. The squirrel's taxes are reassessed. He is

taken to court and fined for failing to hire grasshoppers as builders for the work he was doing on his home and an additional fine for contempt when he told the court he grasshopper did not want to work.

The grasshopper is provided with a council house, financial aid to

furnish it and an account with a local taxi firm to ensure he can be

socially mobile. The squirrels food is seized and re distributed to the

more needy members of society, in this case the grasshopper.

Without enough money to buy more food, to pay the fine and his newly

Imposed retroactive taxes, the squirrel has to downsize and start building a new home. The local authority takes over his old home and utilises it as a temporary home for asylum seeking cats who had hijacked a plane to get to Britain as they had to share their country of origin with mice. On arrival they tried to blow up the airport because of Britain's apparent love of dogs.

The cats had been arrested for the international offence of hijacking and attempted bombing but were immediately released because the police fed them pilchards instead of salmon whilst in custody. Initial moves to then return them to their own country were abandoned because it was feared they would face death by the mice. The cats devise and start a scam to obtain money from peoples credit cards.

A Panorama special shows the grasshopper finishing up the last of the

squirrel's food, though Spring is still months away, while the council

house he is in, crumbles around him because he hasn't bothered to

maintain the house. He is shown to be taking drugs.

Inadequate government funding is blamed for the grasshoppers drug

illness'. The cats seek recompense in the British courts for their

treatment since arrival in UK .

The grasshopper gets arrested for stabbing an old dog during a burglary

to get money for his drugs habit. He is imprisoned but released

immediately because he has been in custody for a few weeks. He is

placed in the care of the probation service to monitor and supervise

him. Within a few weeks he has killed a guinea pig in a botched

robbery. A commission of enquiry, that will eventually cost

GBP10,000,000 and state the obvious, is set up.

Additional money is put into funding a drug rehabilitation scheme for

grasshoppers and legal aid for lawyers representing asylum seekers is

increased. The asylum seeking cats are praised by the government for

enriching Britain's multicultural diversity and dogs are criticised by

the government for failing to befriend the cats. The grasshopper dies

of a drug overdose. The usual sections of the press blame it on the

obvious failure of government to address the root causes of despair

arising from social inequity and his traumatic experience of prison.

They call for the resignation of a minister.

The cats are paid a million pounds each because their rights were

infringed when the government failed to inform them there were mice in

the United Kingdom .

The squirrel, the dogs and the victims of the hijacking, the bombing,

the burglaries and robberies have to pay an additional tax on their pension funds, their extra taxes being required to pay for law and order and they are told that they will have to work beyond 65 whilst all government employees negotiate to keep their normal retirement age at 60 thus allowing those that make the decisions to retire earlier than the average whilst the rest of us work longer to pay for it.

The reason given is because of a shortfall in government funds.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Lol, just bought shares in Shell and await your first outing ;O)
You'll know it's me arriving, Brian. I'll be traveling with my own micro climate.

At least it will be warm.......

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So Lol, you finaly went over to the dark side ;O)

A few of points....

6.2 chevy ? WHAT a towcar that will make !!! nice big Hobby , twin slideouts. tempted ?

When we go greenlaning at Easter can I follow you this time ? After all I did try and clear a path for your Sorento last year.

Did the new owner see the scratches by the way ?

Put the party tent on ebay as there will be ample room for all in the Chevy.

If everyone in this country stopped driving tomorrow so we had ZERO emmisions it would take China's growing economy only around 80 days to bring worldwide emmisions up to the same level.

Blair saving the world by pi$$ing in the ocean.

Enjoy the RV, quite tempted myself and of course you will be welcome to join us at Easter...thats assuming we pick a site with a wide enough entrance and not too far from a petrol station ;O)

Brian
Someone said to me yesterday, " So you've bought a caravan that tows a car have you"?

TRENDING THREADS