Good deals at NEC Show???

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I are new to caravaning and have a budget of £12,000 for a Caravan. We know the layout we want and have seen quite a few vans that we like the look of.

What we are unsure of is whether to buy new or used, and with the NEC show coming up in a couple of weeks, we wondered would we be able to get a much better deal at the show and if so what sort of discounts would we be looking at?

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Andrew

I'm prejudiced. A good reliable dealer is worth his weight in gold.

Price isn't everything.

Cheers

Dustydog

May 2, 2006
Visit site
I wholeheartedly agree with Dusty, but you don't necessarily abandon that premise by buying at a show. The way most of the manufacturer's stands operate at a big show is that the manufacturer provides the stand and caravans; and host several of their dealers on it to do the selling.

I understand that in some circumstances the manufacturer will support the dealers with subsidies so that they can offer a more aggressive show price.

We had a buying experience at one show where, having chosen the van we wanted, we asked three of the dealers on the stand to quote. We selected dealers that were the closest to our home. There was very little difference in the price of the new van, but there was a

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
A few years ago we got a fantastic deal on our Sterling at the Lawns show in Hull. We knew the dealer already as they are one of our local ones but he said they like to give good deals at their local show (which was also the Lawns) So if you can find your local dealer at a local show you stand a good chance of a great deal.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
andrew, firstly Dont pay the asking price haggle haggle haggle and knock them down. get them to write the price down for you. get them to throw in a battery, aqua roll, wastemaster, hitch cover, i cant think what else if you can. if you want a motor mover haggle with that aswll and also haggle with the price of the awnings. The best awning in my opinion are isabella then next is ventura made by the same company really.

once you have got a price from a dealer go to the next dealer and do the same tell him the guy next door has said you can have it at x amount etc etc.

just remember that most caravans you buy you will have to be taken back to the dealer you bought it from for warrenty and servicing apart from Bailey. With Bailey you can go to most dealer and service centres to get servicing and/or warrenty work done. You dont have to go back to the Bailey dealer you bought it from.

hope this helps, good luck and haggle haggle haggle.

keep us posted

jo-anne

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
nice one jo-anne, now all the dealers/traders who are reading these posts know about all our secret ways of grabbing a deal, they will now be saying "hold out on that original price".

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
If you havent got a trade in then you should get a better cash deal,at the moment demand out strips supply so they can get the price they want to really.

People who purchased at the November show were taking delivery of their new vans in May this year!

Most dealers know you play them off against others so when you give them a price from another dealers 9 times out 10 they say cant match that snap their hand off and call your bluff.

Also dont forget at the show the vans are marked up at full price whereas on their forecourts they are often cheaper so you think you get

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't think Jo-Ann is giving away any secrets. A lot of people will haggle with several dealers. I'm not convinced that the best place to buy is at a show. Probably better to try and get a dealer when sales are slow and that usually isn't at show time.

When we bought our last van we used the NEC show to work out eactly what we wanted in terms of caravan. mover and awning. We then approached several local dealers to see who could offer us the best package deal and went for the cheapest.

One word of caution though, you buy from the sales department but then for ever after you deal with the service department. Our dealers sales dept and shop were excellent but the service department were absolutely useless. So it might be worth trying to suss out the service department as well when considering which dealer to go for. Our dealer was also bought and and sunbsequently closed. Wonder if its the same one? Now using Golden Castle for servicing who so far have been very good.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Tim

Spot on. A dealer should be viewed as a whole entity , not just a sales room.

We know all our dealer's service staff, first name terms. I've had to phone them from Ullapool when the fridge wouldn't work. Turned out to be the hidden mains plug had been knocked loose by the cans of beer! Fixed in 2 seconds. It's their knowledge that matters.

I say again we are lucky to have Mr Read posting here. Clearly he and his team have a wealth of knowledge useful to us members.

Also some dealers do collect the caravans from the manufacturer and can forgo the delivery charge. That's nearly

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Jo-anne has blown anything MacHighlander as different dealers sell different makes. Surely a Bailey dealer would rather have your money than let you buy a Swift say?

cmon lads, it was jesting, buy yerselfs some wit.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Not always the case as you may have a local service centre (which a lots of dealers are promoting) or use an approved mobile guy.The later i fully endorse as they are much much cheaper ,you dont have to tow your van to the dealer etc saving time and money and you can see what he is doing.

I have bought my last 4 vans from the show from dealers up to 200 miles away.You are talking about a few thousand difference in price in my case.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
As I was in the position of having no part exchange, and having visited many dealers, both local and a distance away. I picked four and e-mailed them with my detailed requirement. I selected much the best offer, and placed my order. They have a engineer located not too far away, so no problem there.

Whilst I would agree with Dustydog that if you can build up a relationship with a dealer, it can only be for the better. However I think this only happens if you are local and can pop in and out on a regular basis and regularly change your van. I think you also have to have an outgoing manner and be able to chat to people, and in that way they get to know you.

I personally find that it is very difficult to build up a relationship such as Dustdog has with his dealer, as until you have been dealing with them for a number of years, you are anonymous.

Best regards,

George

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There are usually favourable deals to be had at shows like the NEC but as other members have said it's no good saving a few hundred pounds then having to travel long distances for servicing or warranty work.

It might make sense to check with local dealers on discounts etc before going to the NEC because not every dealership attends the show.

Used caravans are not on sale at the NEC so if you are considering buying a used model it might be better to wait until the part exchanges from the NEC reach the local dealers to find out what is available.

Dealers often run sales drives during the summer to move used stock, look out for 'spring sales extravaganza' or 'summer barbecue' adverts and go and have a look then. There are often some very good deals available on used caravans in mint condition at these events.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
I don't think Jo-Ann is giving away any secrets. A lot of people will haggle with several dealers. I'm not convinced that the best place to buy is at a show. Probably better to try and get a dealer when sales are slow and that usually isn't at show time.

When we bought our last van we used the NEC show to work out eactly what we wanted in terms of caravan. mover and awning. We then approached several local dealers to see who could offer us the best package deal and went for the cheapest.

One word of caution though, you buy from the sales department but then for ever after you deal with the service department. Our dealers sales dept and shop were excellent but the service department were absolutely useless. So it might be worth trying to suss out the service department as well when considering which dealer to go for. Our dealer was also bought and and sunbsequently closed. Wonder if its the same one? Now using Golden Castle for servicing who so far have been very good.
thanks tim

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i got a huge chunk knocked off a brandnew bailey senator wyoming and a motor mover in 2008. i rang every bailey dealer in the country and no one could touch chipping sodbury caravans. also they dont charge a delivery charge because they go to the manu and pick the van up for you so theres a 500 saving to start with.

good luck and keep us posted

jo-anne

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jo-anne,I reckon you must have sold one hell of a lot of caravans for Chipping Sodbury Caravan people .Are you on some sort of commission?.Putting that aside its really good to hear of a company that one can reccommend and feel confident in.Jo-anne you are leaning away somewhat from your Coventry grammar.I did enjoy the way you spelt some words and the way you actually write your posts.Iam an ex-Stratfordian myself.Loking forward to reading your posts.Jim

TRENDING THREADS