Good Mover for Pegasus Single Axel

Guy

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi there, I want to get a mover fitted to my Bailey Pegasus.

Bit of a gradient at home, so looking for one that will handle it.

What's the conventional wisdom on the best mover?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Guy,

There are basically two types of mover, A-frame, and axle movers.

The A frame movers in essence replace the jockey wheel, either by clamping into the jockey wheel bracket or coupling to the hitch. That have just about the same ability of pulling or pushing that an adult can achieve, so if you can't handle the caravan by your self, then there is a major chance that an A frame mover will also fail.

If you do not have any slopes or bumps to negotiate then they are good system, but if you intend to take them with you, you have to be able to clamp/unclam them and finde somewhere to carry them, and of course if the site you want to use has any slopes or bumps, then you are no better off. You must also consider the effect of rain or other loose or slimy surfaces that will decrease their effectiveness further.

Axle movers have a number of clear advantages of over A frame movers. Primarily the amount of grip generated is much more, so they can stop and hold a caravan on a much steeper incline than an A frame mover. Their grip will still be much greater even in poor surface conditions, and this is also aided by the larger diameter wheels being easier to climb small bumps etc.

Axle movers are also permanently available at home or on site. Their major down side is the extra weight they use up from your payload capacity and purchase cost.

Just a note, most axle movers should climb about a 1in 4 slope. If you slope is greater, then you may need to consider a winch to pull the caravan up and let it down in a controlled manner.

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
We have a Powrtouch mover fitted to our Pegasus 524 and the new model is fantastic. The smooth start is fantastic allowing the very accurate positioning of the wheel to allow the axle lock to be fitted. it has handled grass, gravel & our poorly maintained (by us) storage pitch. It moves the van up leving ramps fine too.

I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
I've only had one mover, so can't really comment on the pros and cons of different models. Mine's a Truma SE. The only time its failed to work was when the battery was completly flat.

May 1, 2010
Visit site
We have used a Powertouch on our last 2 vans. We bought a Pegasus 524 in March from a local dealer we have not used before, and I asked them to fit a motor mover. They told me they could fit any make but their preference was Powertouch both on price but also on 5 year warranty and service. We had a new Powertouch fitted and once again are very pleased as we have very tight manoeuvring to do to get our van in at home.

Sep 8, 2004
Visit site
hi guy,just had a royal titan fitted to my ranger,a lighter van than yours,by bolsover caravans in derbyshire came out and fitted it[we live in grimsby]at about

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
We have used a Powertouch on our last 2 vans. We bought a Pegasus 524 in March from a local dealer we have not used before, and I asked them to fit a motor mover. They told me they could fit any make but their preference was Powertouch both on price but also on 5 year warranty and service. We had a new Powertouch fitted and once again are very pleased as we have very tight manoeuvring to do to get our van in at home.
We used our new Powrtouch mover 5 times now the remote is not working ,sent it back to Dorset on Fri. to be repaired or replaced, hope the service is as good as it is reported in several forums.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Had a truma on my senator indiana, now have a powertouch on my coachman. both do the job but prefer powertouch. My dealer recommended having manual engagement as less to go wrong but this does mean you have to keep it oiled.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts