Good service results but what are Alko 32mm One Shot Nuts?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I had my Xplore 304 serviced yesterday and it sailed through except the toilet cistern pump didn't work. Fuses were checked and ok but no pump running. It was running last time we used it so maybe the wonderful roads have done something to it. Ideas of what to check would be welcome.

No damp anywhere - maybe our good summer dried it out.

One point I note is that the Alko 32mm One Shot Nuts where replaced. This was done on our first service, not the second, but now on this the third.

What are Alko 32mm One Shot Nuts?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
They should be replaced every time they are removed to fully check the brakes as they should not be reused. ( But some people do by distorting them first).

Therefore they should be done at each service.

Some service places include the cost in with the service. Others see it as a chance to boost their income by charging as an extra. A bit like a garage doing a car service and then charging separately for the oil.

Not a bad idea to ask if they are included in the price before the service.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's a myth that brake drums need to be removed EVERY service - cars drum brakes aren't removed that often so why should caravan brakes - it's just a nice money earner for AWS techicians and dealers.

The brakes can only be adjusted with the drum in place anyway.

Reactions: Jaydug
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Alko recommend, the brake shoes are inspected every 10,000 km. Or 12 months through the inspection hole on the back plate. They only state to remove the brake hubs if renewing the shoes.
As Roger L states a money maker, my AWS engineer asks me if I want them removed or not. Saves £25.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Alko recommend, the brake shoes are inspected every 10,000 km. Or 12 months through the inspection hole on the back plate. They only state to remove the brake hubs if renewing the shoes.
As Roger L states a money maker, my AWS engineer asks me if I want them removed or not. Saves £25.
I fully accept what yourself and Roger are saying. But I think I would rather have them done with each 12 month service. They do manage to remove a fair bit of dust. And it is an opportunity to apply copper ease as necessary. And better check the operating cables. Small price to pay imho.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks but still not sure what their function is and why they need replacing. Something to do with the brakes from what you folks say.

Mine was included in the quoted price. Listed separately as £4.50 each.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Thanks but still not sure what their function is and why they need replacing.
In times past, bearings were fitted on revolving parts which required greasing every so often and then the preload adjusting when the wheel was put back together. If a bearing was treated right, it would last the life of the vehicle. In the late 1990's, Alko came up with the sealed for life-bearing. The bearing is fitted into the drum. The drum fitted to the axle and the whole thing held by a nut - which has been deformed so that there's less chance of it coming loose. Because it loses some of its deformity when fitted, it needs to be replaced each time it's removed.. Engineering at its worst. IMHO!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In times past, bearings were fitted on revolving parts which required greasing every so often and then the preload adjusting when the wheel was put back together. If a bearing was treated right, it would last the life of the vehicle. In the late 1990's, Alko came up with the sealed for life-bearing. The bearing is fitted into the drum. The drum fitted to the axle and the whole thing held by a nut - which has been deformed so that there's less chance of it coming loose. Because it loses some of its deformity when fitted, it needs to be replaced each time it's removed.. Engineering at its worst. IMHO!
Thanks for the post as I never knew why they changed them at every service. Our dealer used to include them in the cost of the service which is £250, but now it is an extra like some other things and they add an additional £25 to the service. To service our Corolla costs us £125 including oil etc!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It is difficult to see in the picture, but quite easy in real life. The centre of the nut is deliberately slightly oval.

1500_1_610x400.jpg

John

Reactions: Sam Vimes
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Just to add to the mystery my AWS tells me the BPW are 3 use and marks mine with a red spot for each use - but the ALKO are single use. Although I think are 2x the price of the ALKO variety!

Reactions: otherclive

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Fixed the toilet water pump. Just clogged up. Coaxed it with a small screwdriver and it burst into life.

I think in future we'll avoid the additives.

Reactions: WayneS
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
yep, we havn't used the pink stuff for years now since my pump cot clogged with the black goop.
Don't miss it
Very weird!
Been using Pink in the cistern , or Green organic, no black stuff twenty years on. Prior to that using plain water we had the black stuff!!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Sort of kinda is. 😉

The service picked up the failure of the cistern pump so I mentioned it. Then after we went 'nuts' I mentioned I'd fixed it and it was 'cos it was gummed up with something. Freed up the motor and it works. Noticeable black stuff on pipes but not pump.

Been using green stuff but not overly scientific about how much I pour in. Won't bother in future.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Had a problem with Black bit many years ago, but for over 8 years now using double Pink, never had a problem.
And get the brakes done every second service, with new Alko one shot nuts.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I never had a problem with black bits when I used pink in the flush. Perhaps it’s because I had my nuts replaced at each annual service. 😂

TRENDING THREADS