Grand Vitara

Oct 20, 2006
Visit site
I've just brought a 2001 Grand Vitara 2.5 Auto....and now want to buy a caravan. This is my first venture with caravans so I would be grateful for any advice for towing weights or type of van to look for. I think a two berth is big enough up to £2000.

Thanks

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi Bill,

You've got the car now you need the van, well cant help you much on tow weights for your car i would look in the manual that will probably give you all the information you need if not i'm sure someone on the forum will answer your question if they can. As for the van look for what layout would suit you best e.g end bathroom,L shaped lounge. Again people on the forum will tell you what vans they have i have a Bailey Senator end bathroom because we go to some sites with no showers or i just can't be bothered to walk to them, hope you enjoy looking for van and take your time. Oh when we were looking for van i went on the caravan clubs web site that will give you some good pointers.

good luck

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bill,

Can't find much detail about this model other than it is s bit heavy on the fuel especially with the auto box.

I had a Ford Maverick 2.4 petrol ( slightly larger than a Grand Vitara) and the fuel consumption was horrendous (17 mpg on occasions) when towing a van about 1100kg. The Vitara consumption around town solo is much the same as my old Maverick so you may find it expensive to run as a tow car.

You might like to invest in a damp meter to test any caravan you may wish to purchase as

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't remember the figures for the car Bill sorry, but I think it was capable of towing up to 1600kg, as I say, don't quote me though. We had the 2.5 manual and found it to be a great tow car, being quite stable. The country will be able to afford a new hospital on the extra tax you pay for fuel used, but try holding onto a low gear, getting it well past 4500 revs and the noise is worth the extra mortgage!

We towed a large 4 birth with ours, no trouble.

TRENDING THREADS