Green Algi on Roof

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
In the 5 years we have had a van, for the first time our roof has had what I can only describe as Green Algi on it. Looking at other vans in our storage there seems to be a fair bit on some other vans. Is this a result of the unusual weather we have had this year, or is there another reason, any ideas ?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is a combination of wetter than usual weather and warmer than usual, allowing algae to grow when it does not, usually.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What you might find is water pooling on the roof, make sure you have a slope on it when in storage to assist with the draining of the water

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I haven't noticed any Algi on ours, but will check next week when we go out next, I tend to wash the roof twice a year, to get rid of road grime, and then leave it to drain off by nose up/ down oof the van. But we have ours in covered storage, but use it all year round , not seasonal..
Maybe the lads and lasses who use the vans for the warmers months only, will let us know what they do about this.
Hutch.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Washed my van last weekend, no algi on roof but a bit of grime, steps inside, up through the Haki roof light and onto the roof, used the car brush for quick clean but is was easier as I only waxed it back in October :)

Foot note; Do not walk on your roof if it is not designed to take weight!!!!!

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
In the Spring when I wash the van I use a product called Rhino Goo for the roof, just spray on and hose off, I have used it for a number of years and found it does a good job without any elbow grease

PS. How can I be offline when I am online, baffling !!

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
when ore 'van is in storage, we keep it covered, so don't have this problem. As we don't have many hols booked for 2016 yet, due to various family 'stuff' going on, when it is on the drive we'll keep it covered, to save too much washing.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on where you store it. We had problems with algae when we had the caravan in the drive alongside a North facing gable of the house. Wit little sunshine on it there was a fair amount.
We had some in the original storage site but have moved it again and this one seems to be less of a problem but not sure why.
It does however brush off fairly easily but do not use a power hose as this could damage the sealant.

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried using some cleaning products to remove it? I've recently found quite a wide array of products here:
[/Moderator Note: External Link removed.color]

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Washed my van last weekend, no algi on roof but a bit of grime, steps inside, up through the Haki roof light and onto the roof, used the car brush for quick clean but is was easier as I only waxed it back in October :)

Foot note; Do not walk on your roof if it is not designed to take weight!!!!!
This is something I've only recently become aware of ,where can you find if you can walk on the roof of your caravan ?.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Check with the manufacturer, some Baileys allow you to, they did have a promotion once with a car on the roof!!
Mine is a Fleetwood built by Adria. I can also stand on the Plastic of the A Frame to reach a bit higher.

Another word of caution though, it can get slippery up there so you do need to be careful.

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks ,ours is a Bailey but thinking about it as she is getting on a bit scaffold boards might be better than walking on the roof even if she could take my weight .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts