Grinding Sreaching Noise when towing - Help

May 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

Just bought my first van (2004 Lunar clubman) with an Al-Ko stabaliser, I have had fitted a detachable (swan neck) towsure tow bar fitted. First two times towing fine, no noise/problem. Had a three week break, then went away for log weekend. From starting off, a worring creak/grinding/sreaching noise from coming from the back (when I went round any type of corner. I stopped several times and ascertained it was the towhitch and towball juddering. There are balck marks on the tow ball but I cannot see (if I knew what I was looking at) anything wrong with the pads or hitch. - Can anybody help due to go to cornwall in July.

Jan 6, 2007
Visit site
Adrian,

Try cleaning the tow ball & pads with brake cleaner. If you tow with a diesal car the pads can get dirty a lot quicker. I clean the tow ball before each trip & it works for me.

May 23, 2008
Visit site
Seen the subject Horrible Grinding Noise posted on the 17th May 2008. Dust/dirt on the twoball and or Al-ko pads. Will try the break cleaner and emery cloth approach to try to fix it.

May 23, 2008
Visit site
Seen the subject Horrible Grinding Noise posted on the 17th May 2008. Dust/dirt on the twoball and or Al-ko pads. Will try the break cleaner and emery cloth approach to try to fix it.
Thanks Steve for a prompt reply, will be off to B&Q directly

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Adrian, if we all had a quid for every time this problem was raised on the Forum we'd all be very rich!

Yes, it's the Alko hitch syndrome which tends to hit most of us at one time or another - I know I found it very disconcerting.

But it's nothing that a good clean up with brake cleaner won't solve (or at least ease). Chances are though, you'll end up needing new pads (which you will, of course, be very particular about keeping clean!)

Stick around and wait for the next person to sound the alarm. The tricky bit, you'll notice, is how to describe it.

You went for: worrying creak/grinding/sreaching noise.

Then there's: Horrible Grinding Noise

Once there was awful graunching sound.

I think it's time someone came up with a definite description to add to the English dictionary.

One word for: Horrible and disconcerting sound that comes from a caravan trailer hitch when either the ball or the pads of a built in Alko-manufactured stabiliser, or both, are contaminated with dirt or grease or diesel, usually occurring at low speeds when the outfit is turning and causing serious alarm and embarrassment to the driver/owner.

At least then we'd know what people were talking about...any suggestions?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Adrian, if we all had a quid for every time this problem was raised on the Forum we'd all be very rich!

Yes, it's the Alko hitch syndrome which tends to hit most of us at one time or another - I know I found it very disconcerting.

But it's nothing that a good clean up with brake cleaner won't solve (or at least ease). Chances are though, you'll end up needing new pads (which you will, of course, be very particular about keeping clean!)

Stick around and wait for the next person to sound the alarm. The tricky bit, you'll notice, is how to describe it.

You went for: worrying creak/grinding/sreaching noise.

Then there's: Horrible Grinding Noise

Once there was awful graunching sound.

I think it's time someone came up with a definite description to add to the English dictionary.

One word for: Horrible and disconcerting sound that comes from a caravan trailer hitch when either the ball or the pads of a built in Alko-manufactured stabiliser, or both, are contaminated with dirt or grease or diesel, usually occurring at low speeds when the outfit is turning and causing serious alarm and embarrassment to the driver/owner.

At least then we'd know what people were talking about...any suggestions?
How about 'grumblehitch'?

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
is there some kind of para-normal goings-on here on the forum. I was going to post something similar this morning

Juat got back yesterday from Devon and on leaving the m-way we heard similar noises as described.

It was predominiatnly on turning left.

When I got home (only live a couple of miles from Mway) I noticed that the tow ball had some (verticle) marks on it.

This journey was the first outing with new car / tow ball and we didn't have any problem on the outbound journey and only noticed the problems at the very end of the home jouney.

Off to get some brake cleaner now!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts