Ground/Earth wire

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site
Hi
Could anyone help please, just wanting to fit a usb point in the van, decided to wire of the stereo in the cupboard but no black wire on the loom.
Would anyone know which I’d find is the earth wire from the photo?

Many Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• 8378077C-ABBD-4092-AFCA-194BB14A3127.jpeg
    8378077C-ABBD-4092-AFCA-194BB14A3127.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi
Could anyone help please, just wanting to fit a usb point in the van, decided to wire of the stereo in the cupboard but no black wire on the loom.
Would anyone know which I’d find is the earth wire from the photo?

Many Thanks
Chris
What year make and model of caravan?

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Actually, in a caravan the ground (-ve) for general use is normally white.
Google the make and model of unit with the appendage ISO connector and you should get full details.

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site
Actually, in a caravan the ground (-ve) for general use is normally white.
Google the make and model of unit with the appendage ISO connector and you should get full details.
Thanks for your reply. If you see the photo attached to this thread you will see that there actually is no single white wire just the one with a orange stripe on the caravan loom to the stereo… According to the stereo wiring diagram, this connector position (with orange/white wire) is the ground connection…. Not cut into it yet until I get a multi meter.

Thanks
Chris

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Ah, an old saying:
when is a standard not a standard? When it is ISO.
The speaker connector is usually exactly as shown, but the power connector is not.A4 and A7 - if both are present *sometimes they are not) are reversed on some equipments; I have even seen radios with no ground/negative connection, that being provided by the aerial cable screen!
You have a possible starting point above but just don't take it as gospel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Caravans constructed for sale in the UK under the NCC's technical 12V wiring code have to use dedicated wiring for the negative or zero volt wiring. They must not rely on the caravans metalwork as an active conductor.

I'm not aware of any caravan make that connects the chassis to the positive 12V.

That does not mean the metal work is not connected just that it's not necessarily a reliable or current bearing route. This is even more important these days as less metal to metal contact may be made due to the wood content and increased use of composites, and pre coated surfaces.

The same reasons apply to the continuos protective conductor (Comonally known as the Earth) for mains appliances where all exposed metal work must have a wired connection to the CPC.

Reactions: AndyT76 and figbat
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I sense this is becoming a bit of a Heath Robinson job. No offence Ginge. Any extra wiring I have done on the Wyoming is taken direct from the fuse control box adding an extra in line fuse if appropriate. Electric wiring caused fires are not rare. Better safe than sorry. See the Swift wiring diagram I sent earlier.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not in a caravan as for as I know.

I think you are confusing cars with caravans which use the chassis as negative or positive.

I never said it was, just that it can be. Meaning there are circumstances in which it is. Interesting then that in Littlebashers iso #15 example shows the use of ground. Of course the radio would more often be fitted to a car, but nevertheless, demonstrates that the term is understood. I assure you I have no confusion. I was simply atttempting to clear up a possible confusion for the OP.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Caravans constructed for sale in the UK under the NCC's technical 12V wiring code have to use dedicated wiring for the negative or zero volt wiring. They must not rely on the caravans metalwork as an active conductor.

I'm not aware of any caravan make that connects the chassis to the positive 12V.

That does not mean the metal work is not connected just that it's not necessarily a reliable or current bearing route. This is even more important these days as less metal to metal contact may be made due to the wood content and increased use of composites, and pre coated surfaces.

The same reasons apply to the continuos protective conductor (Comonally known as the Earth) for mains appliances where all exposed metal work must have a wired connection to the CPC.

In general you are correct. However, as already demonstrated, the radio if fitted, would most likely be grounded in itself. In my earlier post I was simply trying to move away from the pedantic which I felt distracted from the OP’s question. It could therefore be argued that the OP’s use of the term Earth/ground would be correct in relation to the radio he was connecting to.

It should also be noted that the OP found his answer in post #6 in response to #5.

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
To answer the OP.......
The orange/white wire in your photo is the 12 volt dc negative.

Point of interest: -ve is usually white in a caravan but in a car -ve (these days) is usually brown, so it is possible that said wire is actually black and brown rather than orange.

Also as the radio pins can differ (see my earlier comment about ISO) it is usual form these days for the caravan manufacturer to present the cables in two connectors wired exactly to the ISO standard and then an interface harness peculiar to the radio fitted sits between.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I never said it was, just that it can be. Meaning there are circumstances in which it is. Interesting then that in Littlebashers iso #15 example shows the use of ground. Of course the radio would more often be fitted to a car, but nevertheless, demonstrates that the term is understood. I assure you I have no confusion. I was simply atttempting to clear up a possible confusion for the OP.

John
Not in a caravan as explained above.

Don't forget the radio is primarily designed to fit a car..

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not in a caravan as explained above.

Don't forget the radio is primarily designed to fit a car..

I am not and have not disputed the above. The radio IS of courses, primarily fitted to a car, but caravans use them. Therefore they are grounded. The OP wishes to make the connection at that point. Simple.

John

TRENDING THREADS