Gulf stream scotland

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having been persuaded by him indoors to foresake foreign shores for sunny scotland this year (he's assured me they DO have sunshine and it doesn't rain every day) I have agreed on the basis that we find the warmest place possibl, and he assures me that the gulf stream hits the coast, producing mediterranean type weather (ha - I'll believe that when I have the tan!!!) and that the midgees do not affect the coast. Can anybody recommend a site that will provide something for everyone - everyone being 2 adults who whilst not alcoholics (working on it) like a snifter when on holiday, girls of 16 & 13, boys of 9 & 11 and a very playful labrador. Thanks

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The Scottish coast bathed by the warm Gulf stream has to be the Scottish tourism offices Spin Doctors greatest coup.

We've been a few times and the water in my fridge is warmer I can assure you.

If the Gulf stream does warm the waters of the Scottish Western Coast the rest of the waters must have chilled it even in summer.

It's the only place we've ever dived into the sea and came out faster than we went in on a warm summers day ;-)

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
My daughter and her friend had no problems swimming in the sea loch at the CC site north of Oban in September a good few years ago, so it can be temperate.

Also by that time in the year the midges have had enough, so its pretty much bite-free.

Med-type weather?

Never actually drank THAT much.......

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
On the north west coast, around the Ullapool area, palm trees grow quite happily along the front, due to the gulf stream. doesn't mean the sea is warm enough to swim in though

G

The average sea temperature around Scotland is 10 degrees C. That means that you have a life expectancy of about 30 minutes before hypothermia sets in, unless you have protective clothing such as a wet suit, or otherwise. Yes, you may find warmer bays and sheltered shallow areas where it can be warmer, but only in the shallows. Now do you really expect Mediterranean temperatures at a latitude way way north of that area? Yes, palm trees grow there but do also bear in mind that in the desert there can be frost at night, anmd the palms survive.

Bluntly, if you want Med temps, then go to the Med. If you want some interesting scenery and the frequent day of rain or mist, then come to Scotland. If it was so good, then explain why Glasgow and Edinmburgh airports are chokka each year with people flying to the Med???

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Claire,

You haven't made it clear as to what sort of activites you and your family enjoy.Do you want to explore cities or is it to be beaches,hill-walking??

Scotland is a beautiful country but you have to be prepared for changeable weather as well.

Brighouse Bay in Dumfries & Galloway is a superb site for families ( they have a web site for you to see.)

Edinburgh Caravan Club site might appeal to you for history and shopping and of course the North of Scotland has scenery to die for.....it all depends on what you want!!

Mar 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies I think we may head further south.
Claire we hae been upto the Highlands around Pitlochry a couple of times trailor tenting around the middle of june. we have had a wonderfull time warm weather no midges,which we are told dont become a problem untill after july .

we also toured the most of the area such as fort william Loch ness the whisky trail ect but if your after beaches & sunbathing Scotland though Beutifull is not the place

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Claire,

the gulf stream does work its way up the west coast of

Scotland although by the time it gets there its a good

wee bit cooler than when it left.

I can remember as a lad going to these beaches with my

parents,brothers and sisters and swimming and messing

about in the water for most of the day.

There are loads of great sandy beaches.

When the sun shines you could believe you are in the Med.

Its like almost anywhere in the UK,if the sun is shining

it brilliant,if its raining it can be miserable.

I think the west coast of Scotland is a gem and the

further north you go the better it gets.

regards john.b.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts