Habitation battery concerns

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
We bought a 2009 A-S Symbol earlier this year (we're relative newbies to this game!) and recently seem to be having problems with the battery. It is either not getting fully charged as quickly as we expect, not holding its charge well, or there is something putting an unexpected drain on the battery. The control panel is unhelpful, simply indicating "fully charged" apparently long before it really is, and then rapidly changing to "OK", and then "Low" when in use!
Having been on mains hook-up at home for a couple of weeks, the voltage seems to be 13.6. I assume this is about right? Does this prove that the battery condition is OK?
Can anyone advise how to check if anything is putting a drain on the battery? If I disconnect and put a meter in series with it, the whole system automatically switches off because it detects the lack of power - so no measurement is possible!
And a general battery question... is there an accepted "best way" of treating batteries when the van is not in use? Is it OK to leave permanently connected to the mains, or should it be connected on an intermittent basis, Or what? All I've been told is that it's very bad to let them run flat.
Thanks for any comments.

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Disconnect the hook up ,and battery leave for 24 hours re test your battery voltage , and it should read around 13 to 13.5 volts .If it is around 12v or lower it indicates battery is not holding it's charge .Make sure when you are testing in series as you say that your meter is in amps and that you have a very good conection this will then indicate the current being drawn .

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
If the battery turns out to be defective you'll need to fit a new one. Situated under the drivers seat the task is not particularly easy.

The seat needs to be removed to gain access. But take heart, I managed to do it. The downside was that the job took a long time, and the drivers seat was heavy.

I added some extra terminal clips with red - black wires to which I connected a two pin connector plug. The idea was to keep the charge topped up with a battery charger. I bought a new leisure battery and the charger from http://www.tayna.co.uk tel 01745 823399

Disclaimer: I am an amateur DIY'er of many years standing. Not knowing your level of competency I am not advising that you should do it yourself

TRENDING THREADS