Had a nuclear day out today.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Madam and I had a run out today just for a break and decided to visit the Hack Green Secret Bunker near Nantwich and what a fascinating place it is. Very sobering to think about and actually see what has been happening underground in the face of years of Nuclear Threat. If you are ever close enough, its a very interesting place to visit.

A word to the wise, their website is pretty poor and uninformative. Dont let that put you off. There is a fantastic amount to see. would be excellent for older children too.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed it, and there are 3 sites on the same road. The Willows is a commercial site with a CL, as is Overwater marina. There is a CS called Sunnyside. The bunker in York is a very good visit- owned by English Heritage.

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
We are looking forward to our stay in Keswick in early June this year. In particular we are looking forward to soaking up all the rays which the region is famous for. Historically wise, I was particularly interested in the region, its farming heritage and the other thing.......the goings-on of our nation during the rush to develop nuclear weapons in the 1950's. Incredibly, our scientists lost control of one of the two Plutonium making reactors in Windscale setting it on fire. No joke. So to enthuse readers further, I point out that these reactor cores were air cooled, this is what those huge chimneys are over there, massive air ducts which are completely open right into the center of a Plutonium core!!!!!!!. Brill. Over the course of the weeks it took to bring the fire under control, our government bods managed to belch huge quantities of red hot radio active fissile particles all over Cumbria and north Yorkshire. My understanding is that we will all be soaking up the rays for the next 100,000 years. Fish n chips anyone?

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Ironduke2018 said:
We are looking forward to our stay in Keswick in early June this year. In particular we are looking forward to soaking up all the rays which the region is famous for. Historically wise, I was particularly interested in the region, its farming heritage and the other thing.......the goings-on of our nation during the rush to develop nuclear weapons in the 1950's. Incredibly, our scientists lost control of one of the two Plutonium making reactors in Windscale setting it on fire. No joke. So to enthuse readers further, I point out that these reactor cores were air cooled, this is what those huge chimneys are over there, massive air ducts which are completely open right into the center of a Plutonium core!!!!!!!. Brill. Over the course of the weeks it took to bring the fire under control, our government bods managed to belch huge quantities of red hot radio active fissile particles all over Cumbria and north Yorkshire. My understanding is that we will all be soaking up the rays for the next 100,000 years. Fish n chips anyone?

I was born and bought up in far west of Cornwall and at school did A level Physics. The teacher bought out the radioactivity kit, and had the permitted low power beta source in a lead-lined box with the Geiger counter, and it clicked once or twice a second. He then took the Geiger head out of the box where it promptly hit a high C... Granite building for you... The area was known for people living to a ripe old age...

Jun 15, 2018
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
Ironduke2018 said:

I was born and bought up in far west of Cornwall and at school did A level Physics. The teacher bought out the radioactivity kit, and had the permitted low power beta source in a lead-lined box with the Geiger counter, and it clicked once or twice a second. He then took the Geiger head out of the box where it promptly hit a high C... Granite building for you... The area was known for people living to a ripe old age...

Doesn't surprise me..........I'm 150 years old and glow in the dark. Click click click....... :sick:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The warden at Keswick is a very nice guy. Mind you, i never know which one of his three heads to speak to. :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts