Hairdryers - girlie question!!

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I want to take a hairdryer on my week away.

I don't want to blow the EHU so would I have to be careful about wattage, or are hairdryers 'low worry' appliances?

Many thanks in advance

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Herself uses a normal hand held hairdryer in the caravan when we're away and also her hot brush.

When she uses the hairdryer we don't use the tv or (low wattage) electric kettle and we've never had problems

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Beej,

I use a normal hair dryer, and have done for a while with no problems. Also used hair straighteners, again no problems. Same as Parksy, i don't use stuff like microwave or kettle at the same time.

Lara.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I have always used a normal hairdryer. It has a high and a low setting. I always use the low setting in the caravan. I have managed to get away with the high setting in his country when we have 16 amp but in France always use low setting as we usually only have between 6 and 10amp. On those occasions either turn off space heating or water heater.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Asuuming that you've got a 16Amp hook up you shoul be able to pull about 3.6kw before you trip out the site supply. So even a big 1600w hairdryer should be OK providing you dont have the space heater or electric kettle on at the same time.

We've only managed to trip the EHU once when the hot water boiler element failed. Just make sure you turn off any other high wattage appliances (space heater, kettle, vacuum cleaner etc)

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Grade 1 !!!!!!!

Works for me.

OH......the wife has a 12v travel hairdryer that does the job for her (and dare I say the dogs if they get wet and muddy!!!)

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
Another great idea for 'vans of the future.

Why don't the manufactures make a simple plug-in fitting from the spaceheater ducts similar to a vacuum cleaner hose that plugs in so ladies have a gas warmed, 12volt blown hair drier. Lack of a hairdrier is the main reason we can't go anywhere without EHU.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Standard products may be marginal on some continental sites with only 6 amp hook up and low mains voltages. The marked ratings sometimes do not allow for the inrush current when switching on ( and thus starting the fan of the hairdrier).

Our favourite winter site requires the switching off of the water heater and any other serious loads before using the drier.

SBS

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
We hhave a 2kw drier and on French sites had to switch off the water and kettle to avoid tripping the EHU. We also have a 500w dryer to use with the inverter.

Mike

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Another great idea for 'vans of the future.

Why don't the manufactures make a simple plug-in fitting from the spaceheater ducts similar to a vacuum cleaner hose that plugs in so ladies have a gas warmed, 12volt blown hair drier. Lack of a hairdrier is the main reason we can't go anywhere without EHU.
Make your own.....

I made just such a hair drier using a flexible plastic hose that just pushfits into the nozle as you suggest.

Its not very powerful even with all the other vents closed but it does the job... just takes longer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts