Hand held remotes.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Although not really in our caravan, we have two remote controls for our adjustable bed, now these controls are Matt black and after 5 year have turned "sticky" to the touch. We also have 2 digital radios, (Roberts )maybe 10 years old, one has gone the same the other has not. One we have in the caravan the other in the kitchen. So nothing to link the 4 units.
Has anyone else experienced this.
Next question if you have what to clean them with. meths doesn't seem to touch them.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Although not really in our caravan, we have two remote controls for our adjustable bed, now these controls are Matt black and after 5 year have turned "sticky" to the touch. We also have 2 digital radios, (Roberts )maybe 10 years old, one has gone the same the other has not. One we have in the caravan the other in the kitchen. So nothing to link the 4 units.
Next question if you have what to clean them with. meths doesn't seem to touch them.
We did have this some years ago. It is to do with the type of plastic used. I cannot remember how we fixed it, except it was not a complete fix. But I remember I found advice on YouTube. Give that a go.

John8EBC80ED-2BD8-4CDA-990E-A9ABCB15F64A.jpeg

John

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have had this issue with a chair and had to cover it over with gorilla tape. I recall it happening with some plastic units that are used daily. Not sure what causes it as our torch is in the glove box in the car so not exposed to anything.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a lever type wine bottle opener bought as a birthday present and its rubber grips went sticky. Not through spillage I might add. I just used warm soapy water to ” unsticky “ it. But to be honest I prefer wine in bottles with screw caps so I can line a few up and open them without moving out of my chair 😱

IMG_0957.jpeg

Bottle opener

• Haha
Reactions: Gagakev and Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have a lever type wine bottle opener bought as a birthday present and its rubber grips went sticky. Not through spillage I might add. I just used warm soapy water to ” unsticky “ it. But to be honest I prefer wine in bottles with screw caps so I can line a few up and open them without moving out of my chair 😱

Bottle opener

Why buy bottles when you can buy a 5ltr box. Saves even more effort. 😂😂 😂

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 4736

Bottle opener
My wife bought me one of those, but I took it apart after a week to find out how the clutch mechanism worked. .

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have a hand held blender thing. Had it for years. The black plastic casing has gone sticky. No amount of cleaning has solved it. Must be due to the type of plastic.
Mel

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I guess I’m just addicted to recycling.
When finished with the box of wine, pulled out the foil bag and open it. Place a potato or two in it and throw it onto the BBQ. Lovely wine flavoured potato. As for the cardboard box that is used to get the BBQ going. All recycled for your benefit. LOL! 😂

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
A very common issue with cameras especially SLRs. I have Nikon D70s and D80 bodies that have both gone sticky as has my wife's D50 and my daughter's D60.
Camera web sites suggest wiping them over with alcohol (I would use Isopropol rather than meths) and/or wiping them gently with baby powder (not talc) first. Cleaning the debris off carefully even with something as small as a cotton bud may help the situation.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When finished with the box of wine, pulled out the foil bag and open it. Place a potato or two in it and throw it onto the BBQ. Lovely wine flavoured potato. As for the cardboard box that is used to get the BBQ going. All recycled for your benefit. LOL! 😂
I’m confused as only earlier this afternoon you said you couldn’t drink wine, or spirits, only beer.

“I can only drink beer as do not like sugar flavoured vinegar that is passed off as wine and dont like spirits”

But I like your approach to recycling though. 👍

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A very common issue with cameras especially SLRs. I have Nikon D70s and D80 bodies that have both gone sticky as has my wife's D50 and my daughter's D60.
Camera web sites suggest wiping them over with alcohol (I would use Isopropol rather than meths) and/or wiping them gently with baby powder (not talc) first. Cleaning the debris off carefully even with something as small as a cotton bud may help the situation.
I think I tried glasses cleaners WD5 brand which has ISPA, and that worked best on a radio, at one time I was blaming the wife's hairspray, then found something plastic in one of my toolboxes going sticky.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’m confused as only earlier this afternoon you said you couldn’t drink wine, or spirits, only beer.

“I can only drink beer as do not like sugar flavoured vinegar that is passed off as wine and dont like spirits”

But I like your approach to recycling though. 👍
I am from the Cape the biggest wine making region in Africa and most of my friends drank wine by the box. I did try it once, and once was more than enough and coudl only go back to work 2 days later. LOL! Now stick to the odd beer now and then.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am from the Cape the biggest wine making region in Africa and most of my friends drank wine by the box. I did try it once, and once was more than enough and coudl only go back to work 2 days later. LOL! Now stick to the odd beer now and then.
Cape wines are really good, pity you could not enjoy them. But the rugby and cricket make up for that in some ways. 😃

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
yep, sorry it's used a lot on some forums I frequent.
Basically it worked for me, but may not work for you
I will get some IPA, and give the controllers a wipe down, At least when I am in bed and adjust the bed, the controller doesn't slip out of my hand.
If SWMBO gets up first and let's the dog upstairs, it's a shock when he sniffs one of the vibrate buttons.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I really dislike this type of finish, On everything I've had that uses it, it has over time become unpleasantly stickier and ultimately slimy.

I've tried IPA (Not Indian Pale Ale ) and it just seemed to make it become even more slipier . Ultimately I've use neat washing up liquid to soften it then carefully scraped it off.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I really dislike this type of finish, On everything I've had that uses it, it has over time become unpleasantly stickier and ultimately slimy.

I've tried IPA (Not Indian Pale Ale ) and it just seemed to make it become even more slipier . Ultimately I've use neat washing up liquid to soften it then carefully scraped it off.
I vaguely remember doing the same, and the stickiness, sort of rolling off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts