Handbrake fouling on AKS2004 stabiliser

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
I have a safety concern with my Aventura 330 (2004 model). The fitted AKS2004 stabiliser fouls on the handbrake in certain conditions - it has taken chunks out of the brake lever. I reported it to my supplying dealer after receiving the caravan and at 1st service, but they tell me it's OK.

In this month's PC, it says about the 2004/3004 stabiliser, " this model is not suitable for use with any overrun hitch that can revolve beyond 25* or BPW overruns with gas-strut handbrakes on models since 1999, since the 2004 has been known to catch the BPW brake. In this case, the AKS2700 should be fitted rather than the AKS 3004, which might activate the handbrake...during sudden stops."

I've written to Abbey, to ask their opinion.

As my stabiliser fouls on the handbrake, is this a safety risk?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I read somewhere that you can bend the handbrake sideways a litte or maybe it could be put under tension with a strap if no helpful advice comes from the manufacturer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've just found this on the Alko website(date of issue 28/03/02,sheet no 48):

Since mid 1999 BPW have fitted overruns complete with a gas powered hand brake.On investigation we have found that under certain circumstances there is a potential possibility that the stabiliser can touch the handbrake under severe braking or reversing.This could cause the brake to be applied inadvertently.

Although this is a small risk we feel the caravan industry should be aware of the facts.As a precaution AL-KO Kober Ltd recommends that on this type of overrun the AKS2700 should be fitted rather than the AKS2004/3004

Based on our investigations there is no interference on the standard BPW overrun without the gas handbrake,this is therefore compatible with the AKS2004/3004

Hope that is helpful

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jeff, I think you need to be approaching your dealer again,I have a 2004 Adventura 325,with the same chassis and hitch and have no problems at all,something wrong somewhere but without seeing it I can't be much help I'm afraid!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's probably why a number of caravan manufacturers that use BPW chassis come with the Winterhoff stabiliser when fitted as standard.
and they are better to use with rear mounted spare wheels because its a one action movement

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
No response yet from dealer (although, understandably, as they had a fire a few weeks ago) - nor from Abbey. Have written again to Swift Group. Will update if/when they respond.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if you are aware that there are two styles of handbrake lever. One straight and one cranked sideways. Maybe you have the wrong lever fitted,maybe you could try fitting the cranked one.

Steve W

TRENDING THREADS