Hard standing issue

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We have noticed over the past year that erecting an awning on a club hard standing is no longer a simple task due to the ground being that hard that good quality rock pegs are bending. It seems that the club have compacted the hardstanding with stone first and then layered it on top which is what makes it so hard. This effectively stops us using the sites in winter as we cannot erect windbreaks either for the dogs.
Are we the only ones to have noticed this on CC sites? Can't comment on CC as never used ahard standing on any of their sites.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
If you are using screw pegs on a well compacted hard standing, use a long 6mm masonry drill in a battery drill to start the hole, & it then makes it easy to screw them in..........
I carry a variation of pegs battery drill & a lump hammer for such cases & a big bar to help pull them out ........
Have you thought about getting something like this so it can be sort of free standing for the dog's ?
They do a stand alone system, were all sides are the same height

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Surfer

I have been on CC sites and privately owned and to be honest I do not find the hardstanding pitches on CC sites any harder than any others. I have tried inserting the pegs with a socket and electric drill but find it easier with a claw hammer. I take them out with a socket and electric drill in no time.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Taff said:
Hi Surfer

I have been on CC sites and privately owned and to be honest I do not find the hardstanding pitches on CC sites any harder than any others. I have tried inserting the pegs with a socket and electric drill but find it easier with a claw hammer. I take them out with a socket and electric drill in no time.
I would assume that it does not apply to all CC sites as yet, but certainly to those within an hour's drive of where we live.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I guess it's all their hardstandings done to their latest specification - we've had no trouble pegging the satellite dish down at Bunree, Culloden, Edinburgh or Kinlochewe - we haven't used any of their recently developed "carpark" sites!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
RogerL said:
I guess it's all their hardstandings done to their latest specification - we've had no trouble pegging the satellite dish down at Bunree, Culloden, Edinburgh or Kinlochewe - we haven't used any of their recently developed "carpark" sites!

CC have one of these at Chapel Lane South of Birmingham . Primarily for those big American RVs which have those masive hydraulic jacks to keep it stable when parked. The ground is fully tarmaced. Only a nutter would try erecting an awning on one of these.

TRENDING THREADS