Heater issues

May 24, 2014
Visit site
OK, Im posting this not as a moan but in the hope it may save somebody else the hassle I had in future.

Swift Challenger Hi Style and its variants and cousins.

We have just returned from what turned out to be 5 weeks in Cornwall, the first week utterly ruined by a caravan issue. We had only had the van two weeks and this was our first trip. Have to say also, everything was working perfectly prior to the journey. Our situation made worse as we were in what appears to be the worlds worst communication backspot.

Arriving on side, and attempting to get some hot water, our panel informed me of a communication error. The following day,and a half mile walk for a signal, I rang my dealer, told them the problem and asked if there was any sort of connection along the cable and was told no. Describing my issue, it was decided that the 12v pcb had either blown or needed a reset. They told us to find a local engineer and send them the bill. This was Thursday. We couldnt find a single engineer locally who could come within three weeks, and then the weekend is looming. Many more half mile walks later, the dealer decides I need to have a go myself. So, following all their instructions to the letter, I still had zilch. Back up the field for the phone and they found an engineer who will come on the Friday, who duly arrives, does everything that I did, scratches his head and some other bits, rings Truma and goes home. Back onto the dealer and they are arranging for a 24 hour courier to send doen a new data cable, a new LCD panel and a new 12v pcb. Guarranteed delivery Monday, when the engineer will be back. Late Monday, no sign of him so back up the field and he talls me the parts havent arrived. I take it on myself to ring Truma and got a real cant be bothered character who told me Royal Mail hadnt turned up to collect the parcel. Now I know this is bull, Truma will be sending out parts by the ton and will have scheduled daily collections, let alone the fact that its meant to be a courier. Ashamed to say I lost my wrag with Truma and gave em both barrels. Much later I find out thay they simply forgot. On Thursday, the parts arrive, exactly one week after the issue, and so too does the engineer. He has the three parts promised, and changes both the PCB and the LCD panel. Guess what, zilch. Out comes the cable and even Stevie Wonder could have told you it wasnt long enough, which of course I duly said. Oh says the venerable fitter, there must be a joint or hub. At this point, I remind him I asked him that last week, also asked the dealer, Swift and Truma and all said no joint. Well, of course there is a joint.

So, 2013 models onwards, those without a space heater on the Truma 2E4E boilers, there is a mini hub in the cupboard where the space heater used to stand. Always check that first, the actual repair took less than ten seconds and simply required the connector to be pushed home properly.

Apart from that, cracking holiday and well, maybe just a little moan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts