Heater

Jul 1, 2019
Visit site
Hi wonder if anyone can help please my son has a sterling ruby 2009 and when we run the heater on gas the fan is very noisy it’s ok until the heater starts to warm up the the fan sounds like it is rubbing on metal as though it is acting on something don’t want to take the front off in case I break something any help would be great please thank you Darren

Jul 1, 2019
Visit site
Managed to get front off seems to be quite a bit of dirt on the fan blades and fan catching on the casing could it be that unbalancing the fan please

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, that is a common problem.
If you have access to the rear of the fire the fan unit sits there, held in place with 3 screws which need loosening but NOT removing and the fan unit twists 1/4 turn and is released and can be removed for cleaning.
Disconnect the 12v supply though before trying to pull the fan unit out !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When cleaning the fan, be careful as the manufacturer often puts little metal clips on blades to balance the rotor. Do not remove or move them. It also should go without saying don't bend of the the impeller blades as that will definitely unbalance the unit.

In the worst cases, the motor bearings may have worn, and that does require a new motor. Though whether Truma will sell you just a motor these days I'm not sure.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
You can buy new replacement 12 volt fan motors at what seems to be eye watering prices :eek:hmy:
I recently scrapped my 1995 caravan that I had owned from new.
I had no difficulty selling the original Carver heater fan motor for £25.

Jul 1, 2019
Visit site
Hi all can’t see how to get to the motor from the back any way managed to blow it out and a lot of dust came off seems to be quite now it sounds like it is catching on the casing it’s like a metal clicking as it goes around pushed the blade bit back and now it’s quite.i could maybe get to it if I remove the cutlery draw but can’t see how that comes out pulls out so far then stops

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The motor bearings carry the rotor fan. They wear and problems arise. New motors are NOT cheap but it’s the built in bearings that seem to be the cost.
Also in addition to Damian’s advice the motor is fastened to the main frame by a big spring clip and rubber insulator thing. You can position the motor for and aft . Play around with it to ensure the rotor isn’t touching anything. It does get hot and as it expands it may touch the housing etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the fan has been touching the casing you may be able to see some shiny metal edges or some scratches where ontact has occured. If so you may be able to refit the cover taking this into account - the fastening screws are not exactly precision fixings and by moving the casing such that the contact point is left more open before final tightening of the screws, this may be sufficient of over come the touching problem.

Sorry if this sounds complicated - easy to do once you know but quite difficult to explain. A good principle when dealing with anything where one part is attached to another with several screws or bolts is to get them all started or engaged before you tighten any one of them. You will find that there will probably be quite a choice of final position particularly with sheet metal components. I remember this approach worked for me many years ago with some of the early Carver/Truma space heaters..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts