Hel needed for La Rochelle/Royan area

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I may be a bit later than some of you early birds but looking for a campsite in the above area arrving second week in July for 2 weeks.Our criteria is minimal as all we want is a campsite with pool for our grand children,close to the beach and within walking distance of a village/town. I have trawled web pages but I always believe that first hand experiences and word of mouth is far better than glossy sites........I will be wating in anticipation ...thks in advance

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You could try Camping Bois Soleil at St Georges de Didonne - swimming pool, walking distance into town, superb beach etc. 5? miles from Royan. Could be busy tho' at the time you have in mind, and the pitches are not the biggest we have seen on our travels.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Taffy
I would check sites as soon as they are recommended - you are going in peak weeks for French campsites, and many sites in some places of France are fully booked already.

I can't help with recommendations, however, as La Rochelle/Royan area is not one we have visited.

Jan 17, 2005
Visit site
If the mods don't mind me advertising another forum
smiley-embarassed.gif
, try http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk and especially the 'site search' option (top-left of the page).
This allows you to select a point on a map, select some options down the side and then displays all matching sites within a certain radius of wherever you highlighted. You can then click on a site to see pages of reviews from forum members who have been to that site. I use it every time and have never been disappointed with our choice...

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Taffy, we stayed at a lovely site more or less midway between where you mention. Pitches were extremely generous in size and it was very quiet. Lots of wild life in the area, there's even a stork that nests just outside the site. only thing is I cannot remember if it has a pool. It's a short car ride to the beach plus it's very close to I'le d'Oleron which has some great resorts on the southern side and loads of shellfishing on the northern side.
We visited in the last week of July and it although they were busy it wasn't at all crowded. It's certainly on our list to visit again. I cannot find a website for it but it's in the C&CC carefree brochure if you're a member or you can get some info here:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/19224842
Almost forgot to mention the name! Le Valerick, just on the edge of a lovely little village, St Sornin

Hope this helps
Tony H

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
We can highly recommend Camping Le Pin Parasol in the Vendee. Owners and staff are excellent as are the site facilities.
http://www.campingpinparasol.fr/situ.php?lg=en
Where ever you decide to stay in the Vendee, try and make a visit to Puy de Fou... This is a theme park you'll never have seen before. If you able to book the evening cineshow, do it. Note this gets booked up in advance very quickly by tour operators.
http://www.puydufou.com/en
Have fun.
Kev & Max...

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi Taffy,
There is a site at la Marans nice site in a village next door to a municipal swimming pool ten minutes outside La Rochelle, passed it only last week on way to Fill up at the cheapest fuel station in France in La Rochelle,
Stopped on it a couple of times I am a bit hazy as to the details as cannot now find it in my book it is opposite the Super U lovely village with a river could spend a week there, nearest beach would be La Rochelle.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I have stayed on both Pin Parasol and Le Valerick. They are really good sites but I don't think they would meet your criteria for being close to beach or town. Like the previous contributor I can't remember a pool at Le Valerick. St Sornin is very quiet. the sort of village only open on summer Saturdays and the first Wednesday in August. There is a fantastic pool at Pin Parasol but the nearest village is several miles away and the beach about a 20-30 minute drive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts