Hello! Caravan newbies!

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Just thought I'd say hello!

We've recently decided to purchase our first caravan and our in the process of looking for said caravan and taking our B+E test(s)!

We've got a Range Rover Vogue SE and as we want a 6 birth there's no getting away from the B+E with our post 1997 licences!

We'll be looking to purchase something a little older and give it a bit of a cosmetic makeover so I'm sure I'll be trawling the forums for advice on this! :)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Sheri etc!
Welcome. Firstly, as died-in-the-wool RR enthusiast, I need to know if your RR is a classic or P38?
Second, my advice re your van purchase is to buy privately, ideally from an elderly couple who are giving up caravanning.
This way, you are pretty sure of getting a van which has been looked after, and very often, getting all the expensive kit that you will need to buy extra if you buy from a dealer.
Whatever you decide, be lucky, and please keep us informed.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Good luck with finding a van that you like ! If you do get one that needs some TLC you will find lots of inspiration for renovations/makeovers on Pinterest, although many of them are American but there are some good ideas and stunning interiors to aspire to !.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum :)
Click Here for advice on things to look out for when buying a used tourer.
Research now can save you money when you choose your caravan ;)

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for all the advice everyone! Interesting perspective on buying privately from someone giving up caravanning. I'd not thought of that before!

Thankfully my Dad is very knowledgeable on caravans and although he's a motorhome owner himself thesedays I'll certainly be seeking his opinion on any van we are seriously considering!

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
If your car is like our friends then make sure you have a good recovery service membership!
Bought new, broke down at least 3 times in the first 3 years and had to be recovered each time!
£96k! Now worth less than 25% on trade in with 36,000 miles on the clock.

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
GD485 said:
If your car is like our friends then make sure you have a good recovery service membership!
Bought new, broke down at least 3 times in the first 3 years and had to be recovered each time!

And that is why you don't buy a brand new RR unless you have money to burn!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
GD485 said:

I would add to this comments by suggesting you do check carefully your breakdown policy terms and conditions, as some recovery organisation limit the weights of vehicles and size and weight of trailers the will recover. A RR and a large caravan may not be within some companies offer.

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I found my car insurance company won't cover a caravan over 7 metres in length.
As this limitation was a bit vague I contacted them and asked if this was overall (shipping) length or the body length. The underwriters got involved and said it was the overall length.
Watch out for strange insurance clauses that may invalidate third party cover on your towed vehicle.

TRENDING THREADS