Hello from a Europa 520 owner

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
Hello everyone

We are long time hikers and campers, having had camper vans before both in the UK (current location) and in NZ for many years. But we've just picked up our first caravan in the shape of a 2003 Sterling Europa 520.

It's generally in amazing condition for its age so we are pleased as punch. I paid for a damp check / service by John Rhodes before committing to it and it has a few things in need of attention. But it is dry :) The previous owners had it stored under cover for the last 7 years, only using it (very locally to storage) for weekends away.

First job will be a new leisure battery and I assume that the Plug In Systems 12A charger is not suited for modern battery types e.g. AGM. But we will probably stick to lead-acid since we will mostly be fairly static with it for now. I also want to put motor movers on it, so will go for 100Ah + if possible.

So I'll be searching in here. Any links to good threads on batteries and single axle movers would be much appreciated! Thanks again for now.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Welcome. If caravan is going to be staying static and connected to EHU then LA is good. If going off grid then AGM is better. Ultimately for off grid lithium is best, but expensive!

Reactions: Chasio
Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
Thanks both. Yes, she'll be mostly static for now so will go for LA. I have seen good things about Numax so am looking at a
Numax CXV30HMF, which will fit.

Is there any pattern to offers occasionally coming up on things like new motor movers e.g. around shows? Not that I'm planning on going to one, but some places will do matching online deals. I'm reasonably handy so could fit myself with good destructions :)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks both. Yes, she'll be mostly static for now so will go for LA. I have seen good things about Numax so am looking at a
Numax CXV30HMF, which will fit.

Is there any pattern to offers occasionally coming up on things like new motor movers e.g. around shows? Not that I'm planning on going to one, but some places will do matching online deals. I'm reasonably handy so could fit myself with good destructions :)
Fitting a mover is reasonably easy for a practical person. But you need a good level of fitness unless you have a four-poster lift.

I would not think of doing it now. Simply passed it.

John

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
Fitting a mover is reasonably easy for a practical person. But you need a good level of fitness unless you have a four-poster lift.

I would not think of doing it now. Simply passed it.

John
True, I'd expecting to be wriggling around under it. Could be worth the 100 quid...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Crikey. I have seen things like this, which is 100 quid extra on a Powrtouch Freedom 699 delivered or 799 fitted with a free Powrbar. I have no idea what they are like as an organisation, mind you!
The company has been going for some goodly time. When I bought a Reich mover from the Reich stand at an NEC exhibition it was a third party company that came and fitted it but the warranty was with Reich.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Crikey. I have seen things like this, which is 100 quid extra on a Powrtouch Freedom 699 delivered or 799 fitted with a free Powrbar. I have no idea what they are like as an organisation, mind you!
I had a Powrtouch very many years ago, but it worked OK. Some years ago, Powrtouuch was taken over by Truma. In my opinion, Truma are poor and the customer service also. My dealer refused to work with them which meant I had to go to the factory 80 miles away. But with the Powrtouch warranty, they came to the home. That might not be the case anymore. However, Powrtouch seems to be popular.

John

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, noted.

I see on eBay there are lots second hand with a seller called Caravan Bits in Nuneaton, plus others of course. If I go that way and fit myself I'll halve the price (with a degree of risk, of course). Anyone gone second-hand on them or had experience with that seller? Thanks again

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have had three different makes of mover on our various caravans and frankly apart from how the activate we have found no real difference in them. There are three methods of doing this lever, wind on and auto. We have currently a lever type but this can be very stiff and if you are at all unfit might be a problem. The wind on ones are far easier but you do have to be very sure you have it fully on for it to work. The auto ones are the easiest but far more pricey.
Instalation should be near enough the same for all makes though.

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
Thanks again. I'm starting to lean to second hand - partly because I've just spent quite a few quid on a new musical instrument that I wasn't planning to get! And I quite enjoy the practical aspect of fitting and fixing things.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We only had one from Leisurewize E-move EM203 motor mover featuring the easy wind and it cost to fit £595 so if you handy with your hands good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts