help clutch smells

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I got a c,max ford focus was reversing caravan on to pitch it was up a slight incline onto hardstanding less than 10 yards got a burning smell from clutch also smell lasted for a day then it had gone. is this problem common with ford car's thank's mark.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Mark, I did a similar thing when we first started caravanning. I had a Volvo V70 at the time, reversed up a long slope 'on the clutch', loads of smoke, smelt for a day but no problems thereafter. Went on to do 80,000 miles before we changed it. Ken.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Difficult one this. I imagine this is one of those questions that will get a multitude of answers depending on the experience and the type of car people drive. There is no reason that any vehicle should not reverse in the same way as it drives foward in first gear. The difference being that most peoples driving characteristics change when they reverse. You need to be sure that the van brakes are not applying themselves when you reverse other than this its practice mainly. I for one am pretty confident at reversing but if I can avoid it I will. I would much rather unhitch and manouver the van by hand if posible. Speaking as an ex motor-sport technician I can tell you that once a clutch starts to slip it gets very very hot very quickly and most will not take the punishment.when it reaches a certain point it will just disintergrate in seconds. Normally when reversing your foot never comes of the clutch you tend to hold the drive at the point of engagement and so control the amount of drive or speed of drive using the clutch, obviously when driving foward your foot is either on or of the clutch other than the split second between. In short if you are slipping your clutch you are not doing it any good and its best to stop and either push the van or re-think a better way to acheive your aim.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree completely with Martyn, it is because you are slipping your clutch that it is burning and smelling, and WILL be doing it absolutely no good whatsoever.

If you think about it, the flywheel is rotating at engine speed,say 1500 revs per min, and you are sliding a composite disc against a spinning metal ring, rubbing the two together, just like rubbing two sticks together,eventually you will get fire.

Perhaps the cost of a motor mover of some kind would be offset by the cost of having a breakdown away from home, and having to have a new clutch fitted, at not inconsiderable cost.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mark, I too have a C-Max. I have used it on a club towing course and twice with my caravan (1380kgs max. weight) and have not experienced any problems with reversing and slipping clutch. One of the instructors on the towing course told me that with the diesel engine I could actually move the 'van in reverse without even using the accelerator pedal if on the flat! I wonder if you are 'riding' the clutch instead of letting it out whilst reversing? Just a thought.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark, Well I don't know about revs, but we bought a Mondeo 2.0 turbo diesel last year. Arrived at campsite, reversed van on pitch, wondered what the foul stench was that smelled liked a sewer !!! No, no,no it was our car. When we lifted the bonnet I think everyone on the site could smell it, we got a few funny looks. Before anyone says slipping cluth etc. We had a Vectra for four years before, never a problem. See what its like soon, haven't been out in the van since last year.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
not to be funy i whent on a caravan & camping caravan manouver corses last mounth. i all some found out that car wound move there van . on flat ground on trubul at all. I all so have a moto mover on the van as well. It as let me down one time and i whent on the corse becase i was new to towing. only been caravaning for 11 mounth now. but i did nots that the van did stop moveing has i lifted my foot off so i put some pawer on bot my foot was of the cluch at the time. i mite triy again at a later time. the van is only 1300. thanks mark

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark, Well I don't know about revs, but we bought a Mondeo 2.0 turbo diesel last year. Arrived at campsite, reversed van on pitch, wondered what the foul stench was that smelled liked a sewer !!! No, no,no it was our car. When we lifted the bonnet I think everyone on the site could smell it, we got a few funny looks. Before anyone says slipping cluth etc. We had a Vectra for four years before, never a problem. See what its like soon, haven't been out in the van since last year.
Marie, Just read your comments about your Mondeo. We have just started towing with a 2.0 Tdi estate. Reversed onto the pitch over the weekend, and the smell was so bad we thought that we had pitched over a dead sheep!! I've been so neurotic about it, think that I may have a motor mover fitted (more expense, does it ever stop?). It's a company car that I am using and somehow I don't think the leasing company is going to be too chuffed if I burn the clutch out at 4,000 miles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts