Help for newbees

May 30, 2017
Visit site
Hi,we are starting to research caravans as this is something we would like to start next year. We are looking to buy a caravan but spend most of out time touring Europe,then do the Uk later in life when we dont want to drive as far. We are so confused as what brands to look at. We defiantly want a fixed bed that you can get in and out from both sides. My husband loves the large Hobby brand. They seem so much more up market with fixtures and fittings than any UK ones we have looked at. The down side im reading is that people say its hard to get insurance, some uk sites wont let you on with them. We would love some advice any help appreciated.
Thanks
Julie & Colin

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The Hobby vans are very good value and generally have a good reputation for build quality and durability. The main problem with the UK is that they are extensively used by the traveller community and this is where the issues lie with insurance, sites etc. Also of course they tend to be wider and as a result until a fairly recent change in the law you had to have a commercial vehicle to tow them. This did more harm than good for people's opinions when running a site. Many commercial sites won't accept commercial vehicles either. I would also say that with many lovely sites tucked away off the main road, length and width are another consideration for touring the UK.

There are of course many other foreign vans available with a less tainted reputation but these can be rather more expensive and often made to a more UK specification, such as door on the right side for UK but not so for european touring. Having said that, the position of the door is rarely a problem either side of the channel.

Only you can weigh up the pro's and con's of all this.

As far as recommending a caravan made in the UK, where does anyone start? All brands have a really good positive reputation when things go right. (what we might call a Wednesday morning 'van) The problem is there are also many rest of the week 'vans produced. (can't call it Friday afternoon as there are so many of them)

Most 'vans will have a warranty of 10 years or extendable to ten years for water ingress, provided it's annually serviced by a NCC workshop. With this being the biggest problem with caravans it's the most important consideration.

For all the vans by layout look in the back of Practical Caravan which will also indicate price and level in the market. It's worth pencilling in a large caravan show such as October and February at the NEC to get a real feel for things and be able to compare without trudging around all the dealers.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum and the caravan community as a whole. Ask away as much as you need to as this is a big investment and can be a minefield. Good luck.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Julie and Colin, and welcome to the Practical Caravan forum. Thanks for posting.

You've received some sound advice there.

It would also be worth checking out the results of our most recent Owner Satisfaction Survey – you can read these online, here, or grab a copy of our March issue. We carry out this survey every year and it's a chance for owners to have their say on their own new and used caravans, so you can get an idea of which brands and dealers perform best, according to the experiences of real caravanners.

Hope that helps!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Julie and Colin, during my touring, in France over the last 5 years, I have noticed that many sites do not allow, twin axle caravans, our Dutch friends also call our Uk caravans "Dolls Houses" as we tend to have everything , cookers fridges, toilets and showers,, and A Battery, the newer European caravans, are becoming more to the UK ways.
Depends on what type of sites you would like to go to.
Hutch.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hibbyx2, I am sure there will be others popping onto the forum, that tour with twin axle vans, and can help with advise, when I first started caravanning, I wanted a twin axle as well, for the same reason, and after going to many smaller sites , I have realised that a twin axle might scrub the tyres in some of the tighter sights, but if your going to larger sites, then it might not be a problem.
Good luck.
Hutch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts