Help ! Newbie van owner needing security advice please !

PCP

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone
I’ve recently purchased a Hobby caravan which is worth about £15k.
We have only been caravan owners for a year having bought an old 2002 Swift previously - which we never had any security for as never thought it would be worth stealing 😂 however we love caravanning now so we’ve upgraded to something a lot smarter we want to make sure we protect as much as we can !
It will just be kept on one site all summer, we won’t be touring around in it.

Could anyone please offer any advice as to what is a good idea to purchase please ? Ideally we don’t want to be spending out £500 on a system if we can avoid it but will take the advice from on here as to what is worth it and what’s not

Thank you in advance for your help !

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Hate to say it but if a low-life REALLY wants your van they will take it. Even the top quality locks can be overcome with an angle grinder or bolt croppers.
On a seasonal pitch I'd go for wheel clamps on all wheels and a decent hitch lock. Make it as difficult as possible for them.
As to which specific ones to use? That has to be your decision.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why have you posted this in two threads. It will cause confusion in those replies.

Best wheel lock is Alko but I don’t know if your caravan has the chassis receiving point. Normally only one is fitted on near side but being German you need to check. If you are not planning to your I’d go for full wheel clamps like the sort DVSA use. Bulldog do some.

Hobbies are desirable caravans and so I hope your site has good security too.

PCP

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
Why have you posted this in two threads. It will cause confusion in those replies.

Best wheel lock is Alko but I don’t know if your caravan has the chassis receiving point. Normally only one is fitted on near side but being German you need to check. If you are not planning to your I’d go for full wheel clamps like the sort DVSA use. Bulldog do some.

Hobbies are desirable caravans and so I hope your site has good security too.
Apologies @otherclive I’m new to this site as well so was also unsure which thread was best to post on !
So with decent wheel clamps a tracker might be an additional unnecessary purchase ? Although I do appreciate if they want to steal it nothing will stop them

Reactions: otherclive

PCP

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
Hate to say it but if a low-life REALLY wants your van they will take it. Even the top quality locks can be overcome with an angle grinder or bolt croppers.
On a seasonal pitch I'd go for wheel clamps on all wheels and a decent hitch lock. Make it as difficult as possible for them.
As to which specific ones to use? That has to be your decision.
Thanks @Mr Grumpy yes I appreciate if they’re ‘experts’ they’ll unfortunately find a way but like you say we can try and make it as unappealing as possible ! Do you think investing in a tracker is worthwhile ?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I posted earlier, but seems to have disappeared

If you are on a seasonal pitch , put a pair of JSB Hublocks on there. They can't be removed without destroying the axles
Sites may not allow them for obvious reasons. Our storage yard will not allow them. We have a Phantom tracker and also an ALKO secure hitchlock plus the wheel locks. As said a Hobby is very desirable and hope it is insured.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You've lost me now, what are the obvious reasons? Aside from aesthetics I can't think of any (if it's just appearance they could be easily covered). :unsure:
The obvious reason is that the site owner cannot remove the caravan in an emergency or for whatever other reason. They may also have other reasons. If they want the caravan JSB wheel locks will not stop them as they will have spare wheels. They would come well prepared and they would have sussed out the location. This applies to any brand and not just Hobby.

PCP

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
Sites may not allow them for obvious reasons. Our storage yard will not allow them. We have a Phantom tracker and also an ALKO secure hitchlock plus the wheel locks. As said a Hobby is very desirable and hope it is insured.
@Buckman Yes I am definitely getting it insured ! I will also Check with our site if they’d allow the JSB locks but will also look into the tracker you’ve suggested ,we do already have a hitchlock

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
@Buckman Yes I am definitely getting it insured ! I will also Check with our site if they’d allow the JSB locks but will also look into the tracker you’ve suggested ,we do already have a hitchlock
Not sure of the chassis, but is it ALKO Secure or the BPW hitchlock. Not many places will insure a Hobby so you may struggle a bit for a quote.

PCP

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
Not sure of the chassis, but is it ALKO Secure or the BPW hitchlock. Not many places will insure a Hobby so you may struggle a bit for a quote.
I’m not sure which it is, my other half will know . That’s not good to read and slightly worrying that Hobby’s are hard to insure 😳 is there a reason why?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m not sure which it is, my other half will know . That’s not good to read and slightly worrying that Hobby’s are hard to insure 😳 is there a reason why?
It is alleged that certain section of the community seem to like them.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Oh fantastic 🤦🏼‍♀️ We bought one as we liked the size inside😩
They are nice caravans and generally well built however some sites will not allow Hobby caravans so be aware of that issue however as you are already on a site that should not be an issue.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
The obvious reason is that the site owner cannot remove the caravan in an emergency or for whatever other reason. They may also have other reasons. If they want the caravan JSB wheel locks will not stop them as they will have spare wheels. They would come well prepared and they would have sussed out the location. This applies to any brand and not just Hobby.
Surely the site owner wouldn't be able to move a caravan in an emergency if it had wheel locks and hitch locks. As for any other reasons, as you point out, JSB wheel locks won't stop it being moved if they want it (I'm sure the site owner could source spare wheels). I'm not disputing that they aren't allowed on some sites, I just don't understand why.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely the site owner wouldn't be able to move a caravan in an emergency if it had wheel locks and hitch locks. As for any other reasons, as you point out, JSB wheel locks won't stop it being moved if they want it (I'm sure the site owner could source spare wheels). I'm not disputing that they aren't allowed on some sites, I just don't understand why.
Not many emergencies allow the removal of hub locks then the fitting of spare wheels....kept where? In the caravan.? The site owner may even be unable to respond by removing wheel locks and hitch locks, and may have to resort to just pulling it away regardless. Of course in a flood the vans may just float away (LOL)

Reactions: Beardy
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Not many emergencies allow the removal of hub locks then the fitting of spare wheels....kept where? In the caravan.? The site owner may even be unable to respond by removing wheel locks and hitch locks, and may have to resort to just pulling it away regardless. Of course in a flood the vans may just float away (LOL)
My point exactly. Any form of security is going to stop the caravan being moved quickly in an emergency and no form of security will stop it being moved if someone has time to defeat it, so why do some sites allow some forms security but not others. If the site owner slings a chain through the A frame and drags it the chassis it likely to be written off regardless of whether it has Alko wheel locks or JSB wheel locks. I can't see the logic behind it. 🤷‍♂️

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why not ask a site owner who does not allow them as they will be able to give a better answer than myself. I did some that some site will not allow them for whatever reason and that seems to have upset you for some reason?

Personally I would never consider fitting them myself even if they are supposed to be very secure. Just to throw a spanner in the works some insurance companies will not accept them either however you can take that up with the insurance company!

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Why not ask a site owner who does not allow them as they will be able to give a better answer than myself. I did some that some site will not allow them for whatever reason and that seems to have upset you for some reason?

Personally I would never consider fitting them myself even if they are supposed to be very secure. Just to throw a spanner in the works some insurance companies will not accept them either however you can take that up with the insurance company!
I'm not upset at all. You stated in #7:
Sites may not allow them for obvious reasons
Now you seem to be getting upset because you can't defend your post and explain what the obvious reasons are.

Reactions: Andy Norfolk

PCP

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site

@Buckman - some insurance companies don’t like the JSB wheel locks ? Gosh this is getting even more complicated - you can tell we had an old van before that no one would have stolen 😂
What other locks do you recommend please that are also a good deterrent?

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
The whole 'some sites will not accept twin axles/hobbies etc. etc. ' is completely overblown in my opinion.

Of course if you turn up with one hitched to the back of a transit truck loaded with scrap you are likely to be turned away but otherwise you are unlikely to have a problem.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
@Buckman - some insurance companies don’t like the JSB wheel locks ? Gosh this is getting even more complicated - you can tell we had an old van before that no one would have stolen 😂
What other locks do you recommend please that are also a good deterrent?

Just get one which has a Thatcham rating.

There is no need for this to get so complicated.

We use one of these.

Along with their hitch lock.

Reactions: PCP and Bluetonic

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts