Help ! Newbie van owner needing security advice please !

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm not upset at all. You stated in #7:

Now you seem to be getting upset because you can't defend your post and explain what the obvious reasons are.
Why not ask the site owner instead of arguing about it as obviously they will have their own reasons? I am truly and really sorry that I may have used the incorrect word and have upset you so please accept my sincere apologies!

• Haha
Reactions: Beardy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you 😊
The advantage of the Nemesis, and similar Milenco Wraith is that neither require receivers on the chassis and are easier to fit, and can go on either side . But the Alko lozenge has a higher security rating and whilst more fiddly to fit it’s only done once when pitching on a seasonal pitch.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The advantage of the Nemesis, and similar Milenco Wraith is that neither require receivers on the chassis and are easier to fit, and can go on either side . But the Alko lozenge has a higher security rating and whilst more fiddly to fit it’s only done once when pitching on a seasonal pitch.
They have a Hobby and don't think it has the receivers? Not sure if the Hobby is on an ALKO or BPW chassis? The Nemesis is a very good choice.

PCP

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
@otherclive - thank you that’s helpful. It will be only staying on one site for the season so will make a note of all of the ones you’ve mentioned . I naively had no idea of the amount of different security required but every days a learning day !

Reactions: otherclive

PCP

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
They have a Hobby and don't think it has the receivers? Not sure if the Hobby is on an ALKO or BPW chassis? The Nemesis is a very good choice.
Sorry I’m not the best person to ask about receivers or chassis ! My OH will know (hopefully! )

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Why not ask the site owner instead of arguing about it as obviously they will have their own reasons?
I'd like to do that. Can you give me a list of sites that don't allow them (for obvious reasons).
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I am truly and really sorry that I may have used the incorrect word and have upset you so please accept my sincere apologies!
I too am truly sorry if I upset you by asking a question about a statement you made in error and were unable to substantiate.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'd like to do that. Can you give me a list of sites that don't allow them (for obvious reasons).
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I too am truly sorry if I upset you by asking a question about a statement you made in error and were unable to substantiate.
Obviously you need to pick up the phone to find out. I am sorry that my command of the English language is not as good as yours as I am from Africa and our understanding of English can be a bit different sometimes.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I am beginning to suspect that we have a troll on the forum? :unsure:
If you are concerned about a troll; please can you send a report to us mods as to your specifics so that we can investigate.
If you are referring to the discussion between you and Beardy; can I strongly suggest to both of you that it stops now; before we need to intervene further.
Thanks
Mel

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you are concerned about a troll; please can you send a report to us mods as to your specifics so that we can investigate.
If you are referring to the discussion between you and Beardy; can I strongly suggest to both of you that it stops now; before we need to intervene further.
Thanks
Mel
The post by borowskiy was already deleted and nothing to do with our discussion.

Reactions: Mel
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Back to the OP's question concerning security. Your insurance company will stipulate what the minimum security measures you need, and when they must be employed. If you fail to follow their direction, the policy won't pay out in the event of a loss. There is no "standard" for what insurers require, so you have to follow your specific insurers guidance.

Similarly storage sites will have their own terms and conditions about immobilisation and each site may be different, so check with your site. And as sites do not insure your property, your insured t&C's trump the sites, and if they don't match then either change insurance or the site until both sets of t&c's do work together.

As for what you want from security, you want it to deter the criminal fraternity from going after your caravan. As others have pointed out, if they really want your caravan, they will have the means of physically taking it, so you need to make it less desirable than someone else's.

Thrives don't like things that will render themselves more likely to detection, so look for ways to slow them down, make it obvious the caravan does have security measures, things that will allert the owner/authorities if the caravan is compromised. Trackers to help locate the caravan if it is stolen. Remove valuables (both fiscal and emotional). Use a storage site that has better than average security, such as keeping the caravan out of the public gaze.

Keep the caravan and it's contents insured, and of course locked.

Reactions: PCP

PCP

Jun 11, 2024
Visit site
Back to the OP's question concerning security. Your insurance company will stipulate what the minimum security measures you need, and when they must be employed. If you fail to follow their direction, the policy won't pay out in the event of a loss. There is no "standard" for what insurers require, so you have to follow your specific insurers guidance.

Similarly storage sites will have their own terms and conditions about immobilisation and each site may be different, so check with your site. And as sites do not insure your property, your insured t&C's trump the sites, and if they don't match then either change insurance or the site until both sets of t&c's do work together.

As for what you want from security, you want it to deter the criminal fraternity from going after your caravan. As others have pointed out, if they really want your caravan, they will have the means of physically taking it, so you need to make it less desirable than someone else's.

Thrives don't like things that will render themselves more likely to detection, so look for ways to slow them down, make it obvious the caravan does have security measures, things that will allert the owner/authorities if the caravan is compromised. Trackers to help locate the caravan if it is stolen. Remove valuables (both fiscal and emotional). Use a storage site that has better than average security, such as keeping the caravan out of the public gaze.

Keep the caravan and it's contents insured, and of course locked.
Thank you that’s really helpful πŸ™‚

TRENDING THREADS