HELP please from Admin or The Moderators.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
TOPIC: E'mail notifications and signing - in issue!!!

Hi to Admin and The Moderators.

2weeks and 5 days ago I posted about an issue that I am experiencing when following alerts to items that I have subscribed to. As yet- I have not had any feedback can someone please HELP me?

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Go to each thread and click on 'Unsubscribe' (at the bottom) where applicable. ;)

Hi WoodlandsCamper. Thank you for your reply BUT now I am even more confused as to what was causing the issue and why. After posting HELP ........................................................................ I signed out of the site.

After receiving your reply I clicked onto the link/alert and it went straight into the forum page just as the old site did before the Total Make-over.
The business of having to search again or leave the incoming alert E'mail open for the purpose of clicking on the alert again is a faff.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When you subscribe to an email alert and follow the link the software opens the link at the relevant topic but it won't take you to the latest post.
You could click on the last page number to see the most recent but only you know which post you read on your previous visit.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Parksy said:
When you subscribe to an email alert and follow the link the software opens the link at the relevant topic but it won't take you to the latest post.
You could click on the last page number to see the most recent but only you know which post you read on your previous visit.

Hi Parksy. Thank you for your reply BUT actually it did take me straight to the relevant page and indeed to the very last post - YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I signed in to send this reply it did not take me back to the relevant page it took me to the page to change my Password - I then had to click on the link in the incoming E'mail to send me back to your post.

That was the whole purpose of my original post on this issue - the one that never received a reply in 2wks 5days - The one that prompted my HELP post.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It looks as though we initially missed your plea for help. If you sign out every time you would need to enter your email address and password to sign back in again. If you were directed to the password re-set you may have inadvertently clicked on the url to change your password, otherwise the system couldn't generate the email containing the change password link. It requires an email address in the dialogue box for it to operate.
When you sign in click on 'sign in' (top right of the forum page), and enter your email address and your password to sign in.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Parksy said:
It looks as though we initially missed your plea for help. If you sign out every time you would need to enter your email address and password to sign back in again. If you were directed to the password re-set you may have inadvertently clicked on the url to change your password, otherwise the system couldn't generate the email containing the change password link. It requires an email address in the dialogue box for it to operate.
When you sign in click on 'sign in' (top right of the forum page), and enter your email address and your password to sign in.

Hi Parksy. This is what arrived with my E'mail Alert :-
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/our-website/50071-help-please-from-admin-or-the-moderators/390534
Clicking on this took me straight to the post and indeed to your last comment.

I do believe that you have drawn my attention to a line that I had previously missed,the one at the top right-hand side of the page - the one that directs you back to the page that you were on - before signing in.

The differences between the Old & the New are still taking some getting used to.
Perhaps I should sign in more often!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There are various items of text which, when clicked on, navigate around the website but unfortunately these are not immediately apparent or readily noticed.
On the Blue 'header' which contains Practical Caravan in yellow text are three horizontal lines, one above the other on the right. If you left click on the lines this opens another navigation tool for various sections of the website.
Similarly the text on the 'footer', at the bottom of the forum page, can be clicked to explore the Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, etc.
Is there any particular reason for you to sign out when you are not using the forum TR?
You could simply leave yourself signed in, create a tab or a screen shortcut to click on and be straight back with no signing in every time.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Parksy said:
There are various items of text which, when clicked on, navigate around the website but unfortunately these are not immediately apparent or readily noticed.
On the Blue 'header' which contains Practical Caravan in yellow text are three horizontal lines, one above the other on the right. If you left click on the lines this opens another navigation tool for various sections of the website.
Similarly the text on the 'footer', at the bottom of the forum page, can be clicked to explore the Privacy Policy, Terms & Conditions, etc.
Is there any particular reason for you to sign out when you are not using the forum TR?
You could simply leave yourself signed in, create a tab or a screen shortcut to click on and be straight back with no signing in every time.

Hi again Parksy. Thank you for the 'Crash Course' in site management/explorations ;.
I have been signing out because of having far to many sites open at one time :- between my cycle forums/interests,E'bay,CaravanTalk and several others. As I have not used PCM Forum on a regular basis I have tended to dip-in and out.
I was a bit concerned about appearing to be signed in but actually miles away and having fellow posters wondering why I had not responded to a particular reply.
I already have a Desktop Short-cut to the site,I will not sign out later and try the Desk-top Short-cut.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
TheTravellingRooster said:
[

Hi again Parksy. Thank you for the 'Crash Course' in site management/explorations ;.
I have been signing out because of having far to many sites open at one time :- between my cycle forums/interests,E'bay,CaravanTalk and several others. As I have not used PCM Forum on a regular basis I have tended to dip-in and out.
I was a bit concerned about appearing to be signed in but actually miles away and having fellow posters wondering why I had not responded to a particular reply.
I already have a Desktop Short-cut to the site,I will not sign out later and try the Desk-top Short-cut.

When you are signed in you are not shown as being online unless you are actually using the forum so your concern about fellow forumites wondering why you didn't reply are groundless because they wouldn't know whether you are signed in or not.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Parksy said:
TheTravellingRooster said:
[

When you are signed in you are not shown as being online unless you are actually using the forum so your concern about fellow forumites wondering why you didn't reply are groundless because they wouldn't know whether you are signed in or not.

Hi again & again & again Parksy. Well,one learns a little more of something new every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it then when I come out of the post that I have just contributed to and opened up/click on 'Forum' I am shown at the bottom of the page as On-line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????? Along with the following :-
AbbeyOwner, Bid, C6CMV, CyberCynth, Damian-Moderator, DeliDave_, Dustydog, EnfieldBoy, Gagakev, GrahamE, Len_Cuff, MichaelE, Oldsalt49, Parksy, PaulT, Phillipcharnwoodforest, Royston, Sproket, SteveW77, Supertractorman, SwingLowJim, TheTravellingRooster, WoodlandsCamper, brian_c, carper2, casey12, christine_374397535, crazyguider, earlyriser, gooner677, intransient1, maxinedallas, meath1978, monicabusdriver1215, seth1, sueandkeithfromnorwich, woodsieboy, yorkycol, yorkykev
Read more at http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/index#Mh2vhMq7BGA0v7wr.99

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Parksy, thanks so much for all your help with this – I really appreciate that as does TheTravellingRooster.

In answer to your question, TheTravellingRooster, the display at the foot of the forum's homepage tells you which users are online and logged in at that moment. If you've only *just* logged off, the system may take a few moments (or perhaps a force refresh) to update. I hope that helps!

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to Lizzie & Parksy. My point about appearing to be ignoring anyone that might have replied and are expecting a return reply or further input from me is exactly as I have stated.
If I just shut the PCM site down but not sign-out,I am still showing as 'On Line' on another/any other computer.

I have had a friend that is not a registered member of the forum open up the site from her laptop and a Google search produced the names that are on line include ME but I had shut the site down several hours earlier.

Back to the drawing-board - "As they say" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS