Help please - Toyota MR2 1.8 WTi SMT 2d 53 reg

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I've just been for a test drive in the above model. I'm not rushing into anything and would just like advice from anyone who might know about that model.

It had ac and a chromed roll bar also steering-wheel sequential gearchange system. I was quite impressed with it, 1.8 engine with 138 bhp (didin't seem much till I drove it). Steering was sharp and it hugged the bends. I liked the low slung seats.

Any idea what the depreation is on this model (approx)?

Anyone aware of any faults to look out for? (The mileage was low by the way).

I haven't rung for an insurance quote yet but I have got points for speeding on my licence so I suppose I'll get hammered.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Lisa.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa

Not an expert on these but my son has an MR2 - we had a lot of trouble finding a good one.

What year is this one?

If it is an import insurance can be expensive

Also imports were tricky for certain spares but this is less of a problem now.

My sons one was not new but the quality of the thing is excellent. Only thing he finds is being mid engined they can be a bit fidly to work on. Also a bit "skittish" in the wet but much better now with new tyres on it.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

Thanks for your reply. I tried an MX5 on Saturday and it was awful, no poke whatsoever.

It's a 53 reg. One previous (male) owner. As far as I am aware, it's not an import.

Regards.

Lisa.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know of them personally, but have read a few tests on them. They are quite the driver's car, returning to the idea of the original MR2 of lightness needing less horsepower. It being a Toyota, should run like clockwork and be reliable in day-to-day use. Try and get as much background on the car as possible, because they wear well it's easy to hide a true higher mileage. Bear in mind that this model has been out and about for a few years and Toyota like to change and update their models frequently, a new style will be just around the corner. This will mean more depreciation than if the model was recently launched. At the end of the day, it's down to you, if it checks out ok (AA or RAC can do this for a price) and the cost is affordable, then why not? Just make sure its got a loud horn, those evil 4x4ers will probably think it's a speed ramp ;o)

Lol

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Lisa,

Try a search or question on of Honest Johns forum (the Daily Telegraphs) motoring correspondent, you more likely to get a wider response than this forum. Other than that WWW.Parkers is a useful guide as it gives trade as well as user feed back and it has a place for owners of the aforementioned to give their opinion good bad and vaguely indifferent, cars that is not owners.

Good luck

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa,

Try a search or question on of Honest Johns forum (the Daily Telegraphs) motoring correspondent, you more likely to get a wider response than this forum. Other than that WWW.Parkers is a useful guide as it gives trade as well as user feed back and it has a place for owners of the aforementioned to give their opinion good bad and vaguely indifferent, cars that is not owners.

Good luck
Thanks, I'll do that.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS