Help with a leak

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Hi I’m new to caravans would love a little bit of help I’ve bought a 2 birth Colchester caravan n I have no idea what the guy before me has done but it’s started raining and this has happened any help would be much appreciated thanks

Attachments

• D5CC0B32-E7DC-4EB9-AFAC-85BBCF453297.jpeg
    D5CC0B32-E7DC-4EB9-AFAC-85BBCF453297.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • DC555346-000E-4C98-8202-50DBB97BBFC8.jpeg
    DC555346-000E-4C98-8202-50DBB97BBFC8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum, sorry to hear you have damp, unfortunately it’s a fact of life in many caravans and not only older models. If it’s around the rooflight it will need removing, all old sealant removing and resealed and replaced. Hopefully the “damaged” area will dry out and not look too bad afterwards. Otherwise it becomes a much bigger job if you have to remove damaged roof materials and replace them.

If you are not up to replacing the rooflight get an Approved Workshop Scheme technician to do the job. Google to get the details of AWS in your area. A mobile tech could do the job. In the meantime you can use some duct tape to reduce water ingress. There are very effective sealing tapes that are designed for a more permanent result but I wouldn’t recommend using them unless you decided not to have the rooflight removed and resealed. Two good ones are Eternabond and Rooflock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for your reply I take it the guy has just covered the roof light with the plywood? And the soft spot next to the ply is leaking down to that also? I’m not very good with diy never come across this before th ask again

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would dread to think what is under the plywood which should be removed for further examination. Water ingress doesn’t always appear at the point it enters it can travel via the structure.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I would dread to think what is under the plywood which should be removed for further examination. Water ingress doesn’t always appear at the point it enters it can travel via the structure.
Ah yes I didn't see the plywood on the ceiling of the caravan, looking closer at the photo. A photo of the outside of the roof could be helpful.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Looking at the roof, I
There’s also a little dip where I’ve circled, I’ve bought a right mess haven’t I 🤦🏽‍♀️
Well, don't get too disheartened, the aerial base could be leaking, that can be resealed, as OC states roofing tape such as Roof lock, along the side seams, could seal that area,
What is the grey section on the edge. ?

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
I’m unsure I thought the grey section was supposed to be there ahha

Attachments

• 0C0C923B-FB21-4564-BD37-2D073A035337.jpeg
    0C0C923B-FB21-4564-BD37-2D073A035337.jpeg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 22
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Sorry to say it would seem that the damp is very long term and likely affects the whole of this roof panel across the rear including through the corner washroom. Maybe the original ceiling board was wet and had sagged and was covered up with the sheet ply, but unless the source of ingress is corrected it will continue to deteriorate and spread along timber struts horizontally and vertically.
I wondered what the grey patch was - maybe at some time hit by a tree branch and caused a split and the dent you describe - so a good place to start - maybe you can effect a tidy job with some suitable automotive filler.
Reinstating the inside could be a very big job and not cheap - getting rid of the wet damaged board and timber structure and making good replacement.
Don't know how it was bought or described by the seller, but presumably you were aware of possibly gross problems when you bought it. In it's current state it is not really habitable or fit for purpose so you could try to lean on the sellers integrity.
Good luck anyway!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As said with damp like that there will probably be mould. Mould spores can attack the human respiratory system and this makes the caravan inhabitable.

Get the AWS technician to give it a once over as there may be other areas that you cannot see at present. Hopefully you did not pay too much for the caravan?

Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
Hi I'm a bit late to this thread but as we have a 1993 Sprite I know only too well the issues you are facing. Firstly mould spores are bad as Buckman said so proceed with caution and wear a respirator.

I tackled our van over a period of time using a damp meter to find out where the leak(s) are coming from. Start at the point where the board is wet and work upwards until the readings start to peak and then stop. Somewhere between it peaking and stopping is where the leak is coming in. Using some Sikaflex sealant you can plug each leak and reseal around the area.

In the end, I removed some boards and replaced them inside, took all the railing rubbers off and replaced a bunch of rivets, changed windows and door seals and generally overhauled the entire outside of the van as best as I could, before sorting the inside out. It's dry and cosy now.

You can crack this in time, but it takes persistence and an understanding that just when you think you have won you'll find another leak.

Leaks are part of the territory when it comes to caravans no matter how old or young they are, so if you are up to learning a load of stuff and applying your DIY skills you can I'm sure beat it. Yes, you could go to an AWS Technician (Approved Workshop Scheme) but I suppose it depends on your budget and skills, plus how much you have to lose in the value of the van. In my experience, I've gained more from the experience and the good dozen holidays we've had in our old van, plus a few people have also mentioned how tidy and well kept it looks whilst we've been out & you can't buy that when you've done it yourself. :)

Good luck with it all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts