Help with an old rambler possibly deanline?

Apr 11, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I recently sort of inherited a rambler 380-5 I would estimate it is late 70's early 80's. Still with original gas lamps ( although I think you might have to be suicidal to want to try them out).
I know nothing about caravans, but I'm pretty sure this one is going to work out an expensive "project". It is at least dry on the inside.
Anyway. I had a chap out to service it and the brakes were so knackered he has had to strip the lot out, he then said he couldn't get parts to replace any of it but assured me it's legal to tow it without brakes as it's only a small van.
I'm a bit dubious about the legality of this and as I can't find any information on this van at all let alone a confirmed weight I was wondering if anyone could help me out with advice on whether it's actually legal to tow. I can only seem to find information about trailers rather than caravans or are they the same thing?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Annie, welcome to the forum.
Taken from the You Gov website:
'A trailer with a GVW of 750kg or lower, is not required to have brakes, but if brakes are fitted they must be in full working order.
A trailer with a GVW from 751kg up to 3,500kg is required to have brakes, normally over-run (inertia) brakes that operate automatically are fitted.'
Have you still got the brake parts?
The old shoes can be relined and the brakes restored.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure who came out but the parts should be available if you know where to look. There are several clubs for vintage caravans and if you google them they may be able to help. I take it the chassis is an old B&B trailer. Do be aware that these have a different hitch, which while it generally works with the current metric towball, it can come adrift if the hitch is badly worn. Personally I would change it to the newer one but provided you can source the correct towball there should be no problem.
If it has gas lamps then I would say it is pre 1980. We did have a caravan with one, and apart from the mantles being fragile in the extreme they do work. You get a nice soft glow which many would prefer to the harsher lighting but do make sure the pipe is safe before using.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts