Help with new tow car choice...it's doing my head in

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any suggestions please. I am looking for a large estate or 4x4. I currently run a 2.0 Rover 75 V6 which I am disappointed with. However I do like very much the V6 petrol engine so am not too keen on going to diesal, BUT the biggest problem we have with the Rover is pulling away, pulling away at speed, climbing hills etc. As you don't tend to try your new car until you have actually bought it and put a van on the back I am a little paranoid at making a good choice. My initial thoughts are Hyunda Santa Fe or Mitsubishi Outlander but I am open to suggestions. I am looking at spending 8-9K and hoping for a 2003 model. Caravan is a 2004 Abbey Expression 500L (Michael Jordon) I think the same as a standard Abbey Aventura 316). MIRO (1119Kg) MTPLM 1350Kg). ALL HELP & IDEAS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED tHANKS

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
In the perol vs turbo diesel debate, whilst a 2.0 petrol typically produces the same maximum power as a 2.0 turbo diesel ~140bhp, the petrol needs to be screaming away at 6500rpm to get this power wheras the diesel does it at 4000 rpm. At the typical driving rev range of 2-3000rpm the diesel can produce up to double the power of the petrol, put another way, a 2.0 turbo diesel will equal a 3.5 petrol between 2-3000rpm.

Now for a simple physics lesson, power is produced by moving a force over a distance at a speed.ie power =forcexdistancexspeed, the engine's torque is force x distance, multiply this by the engine's speed (rpm) and you get power in bhp / kW. A petrol produces a low force at high speed wheras a turbo diesel produces a very high force at low speed to give the same power. Ford's 2.0 petrol produces about 40 kW at 2000 rpm and 107 at 6000rpm, the 2.0 turbo diesel produces 71kW at 2000rpm and 105 kW at 4000rpm.

If you do a low annual mileage which is mostly towing, go for a larger 2.5 - 3.0 diesel possibly in a 4x4 but if you do a high mileage mostly solo then fuel economy is more relevant so opt for a 2.0 diesel such as a VW Passat estate or better still go for the Passat 4motion, 4 wheel drive, the traction of a 4x4 with the roadholding and economy of a saloon.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I used a Rover 75 diesel for a few weeks two years ago, no way was it lacking in the power dept. I never towed with it but I've seen others that do and everyone has been a diesel as I remeber it.

Gary's post explains very well and a modern diesel would be the all round best option if you are caravanning.

Sep 29, 2006
Visit site
Gary and Cris are both spot on. You would find the 75 diesel a totally different car. I hope I wont upset you by suggesting that if you are spending 8-9k then the best bargains will be with Rover in view of what has happened to the company.

Also in my view it still looks a cracking car, is reliable (diesel)and has still probably the best nose weight limit of any saloon car out there (BMW didn't get it all wrong)

Good luck what ever you decide

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with the comments that diesel is the way to go.

The Hyundai Sante Fe diesel would make a reasonable tow car and you will get the remainder of the 5 year warranty if you buy a late enough model. Just check that it has been serviced to Hyundai's specification.

I have no knowledge of the Mitsubishi.

One thing I would not recommend is to buy a Rover.

They went bust because they couldn't sell their cars and you can draw your own conclusions as to why that was.

While common parts will be available for a good while yet, at some point in the future the more obscure parts will have run out.

Tough luck if you need that obscure part to make the vehicle run. No one will want to know and you're left with an ornament on your front drive.

Buy from a manufacturer still in business.

Jun 28, 2006
Visit site
Hi I use to own a Landrover Discovery but dont get taken in with the 4x4 gangs you dont have to own a big tractor to get results . I recently brought a saab 95 30tdi v6 estate wow what a car performance like a petrol with deisel ecom. My nought to 60 with caravan on the back is faster than the diso solo. Seats are like a leather sofa, and stabilty is better than my diso which at times was a beast to keep straight. So my vote is for a good estate car like mine or maybe Volvo V70 both carrs can be picked up around the

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I am now seriously looking at diesel and also being open minded on 4x4 or large car.

I will be sad to see the Rover go though...

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Well Homer, I toyed with the idea of a 4x4 when as a first timer

I bought a Bailey Senator Indiana (MTPLM 1500kg), came to my senses and now have a BMW 530d Touring. 195bhp, 26 mpg when towing goes like the vans not there. Has all the right bits including self levelling suspension, a great tow car. Oh and by the way, without the van does 48mpg at 70 mph.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Well Homer, I toyed with the idea of a 4x4 when as a first timer

I bought a Bailey Senator Indiana (MTPLM 1500kg), came to my senses and now have a BMW 530d Touring. 195bhp, 26 mpg when towing goes like the vans not there. Has all the right bits including self levelling suspension, a great tow car. Oh and by the way, without the van does 48mpg at 70 mph.
Main problem with the BMW is the rear wheel drive. I used to drive a Mercedes E280 and really liked it but when there was snow on the roads, it was all over the place! Absolutely no problems on dry or wet roads but if they were slippery, hopeless.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I suggest you look at what the caravan club says as regards "best tow car".

Meanwhile I will just sit back and do what I regularly do and tow people of wet sites.

Oh and I drive a politivcally incorrect Land Rover Discovery and really do not give a ****

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
If you do nothing but towing, then buying the "best tow car" is fine but most of us tow for less than 10% of our annual mileage hence a good solo car that is capable of towing is the best car. As for driving a disco, going by what most of my freinds & collegues that have had them have said and my experience of towing a boat with one "Slow, thirsty, unstable, unreliable, noisy" is the recurrent theme. perhaps the new model is better but the most amazing thing about the old model is why people buy them!

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Main problem with the BMW is the rear wheel drive. I used to drive a Mercedes E280 and really liked it but when there was snow on the roads, it was all over the place! Absolutely no problems on dry or wet roads but if they were slippery, hopeless.
I had a 1989 BMW 530 and it was no problem in the snow and it pulled my boat up the slipway better than any front wheel drive

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
I had a 1989 BMW 530 and it was no problem in the snow and it pulled my boat up the slipway better than any front wheel drive
Thanks for the support Gary, traction control should take care of the slippery bits and a 90kg nose weight for a car I feel is a good thing

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts