Aug 6, 2006
Visit site
Wanting to buy a caravan but i am totally confused over kerbweight, noseweight, MTPLM etc.

I have a 1.8i Vauxhall Astra Sports hatch. Could someone please help and tell me what caravan is suitable for this type of car? The kerbweight is 1222, the gross vehicle weight is 1760 and the maximum towing weight is 13000.

WOuld really appreciate some advice!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
From reading your request for help, I assume that you are new to caravanning. This being the case, the recommendation is that the total all up weight of the caravan, i.e. its MTPLM, should not exceed 85% of the kerbweight of the car. In your case this would be around 1040kg. This is less than the maximum allowable towing weight of 1300kg, so it would be legal.

In other words, any caravan with an MTPLM of up to about 1040kg would be suitable. Anything over that and up to 1300kg would still be legal but not really to be recommended. However, if you passed your driving test after the 1st January 1997 and you do not hold a category B&E licence, your towing limit would be the kerbweight of the car, i.e. 1222kg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts