Sep 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi
Really hoping you can help us out. We have a Bessacarr Cameo 495sl (2007) and the door handle has virtually broken to pieces. It looks like the door has been prized open at some point as it is a little warped. To close the door from the inside we were having to slam the door shut and the plastic cover of the handle/lock would seem to come away from the door itself. This weekend we couldn't get back into the caravan after unlocking it so used a little more force and the frame of the handle and lock has cracked and is coming away from the door. We daren't try to pull open the door further for fear of destroying the whole lock and then being unable to keep it secure whilst its sat in the storage yard.
Does anyone have any ideas of how to replace the whole lock/handle unit (we've googled to no avail!) or if any of the newer caravan units would fit. The Swift handle looks to be the same size but the inside of the lock looks huge so not sure if it would fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advance
Newbies :rolleyes:

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
The most common locks are Caraloc, followed by Hartal and Vecam. Caraoloc have several different product codes and different designs. I f buying ensure you get right or left handed as appropriate. Have a look on Ebay for one that matches. Or ring swift who may have the answer. (search Caravan exterior door locks for e.g.\)
When removing or refitting take care not to distort the door, you will find there is the plastic (or coated plywood) inner skin), the thin alu outer skin with tyrene type insulation between. - therefore being easy to distort or ding. The lock should have spacers to bridge the gap so the lock can be secure but not overtightened.

If you are concerned that the van remains insecure try searching 'caravan door security products' you could consider one of these
.. you will have seen them on vans on site.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The most common locks are Caraloc, followed by Hartal and Vecam. Caraoloc have several different product codes and different designs. I f buying ensure you get right or left handed as appropriate. Have a look on Ebay for one that matches. Or ring swift who may have the answer. (search Caravan exterior door locks for e.g.\)
When removing or refitting take care not to distort the door, you will find there is the plastic (or coated plywood) inner skin), the thin alu outer skin with tyrene type insulation between. - therefore being easy to distort or ding. The lock should have spacers to bridge the gap so the lock can be secure but not overtightened.

If you are concerned that the van remains insecure try searching 'caravan door security products' you could consider one of these
.. you will have seen them on vans on site.

Why waste money on the product as it is just as easy to get in through a window causing even more damage than forcing a door lock? We were on a site when people arrived with one of these fitted and they had left the keys to the lock behind and could not access the caravan.
Most dealers have a master key that will allow them to open the normal door lock and even though there was a dealer within a mile of the site, they had to travel back home to get the keys.

Sep 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Audiorob. We've managed to get the two pieces apart and found a local company who has said it is a Caraloc and they have a supplier of Swift products but only the front handle side is available. Luckily the interior side isn't damaged. It'll take around 10 weeks though to arrive, so fingers crossed it'll fit the interior side. With regards caravan locks, I've heard many different views Buckman and agree that the unit will not be completely secure and a determined thieve wont be put off however my caravan wont even close never mind lock so I have to secure it somehow. We've gone for the Milenco lock that can be closed and locked from the inside as well as the outside as we still want to get away whilst we wait for the ordered item.
Thanks again for all of your help....as a newbie its been a steep learning curve o_O

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Audiorob. We've managed to get the two pieces apart and found a local company who has said it is a Caraloc and they have a supplier of Swift products but only the front handle side is available. Luckily the interior side isn't damaged. It'll take around 10 weeks though to arrive, so fingers crossed it'll fit the interior side. With regards caravan locks, I've heard many different views Buckman and agree that the unit will not be completely secure and a determined thieve wont be put off however my caravan wont even close never mind lock so I have to secure it somehow. We've gone for the Milenco lock that can be closed and locked from the inside as well as the outside as we still want to get away whilst we wait for the ordered item.
Thanks again for all of your help....as a newbie its been a steep learning curve o_O
Glad that it’s all sorted and parts will be available. We did four weeks touring France with a broken door lock. Had to resort to Duct tape to give a bit more confidence that the door wouldn’t come open whilst travelling.

Jul 9, 2021
Visit site
excuse me. I really need a long barrel for a caraloc2000 or a service hatch. Shipping to Russia is very expensive, so I am looking for a used barrel. possibly a trunk without a key. the trunk should be like a WD key Can you help me?

Attachments

• Z.JPG
    Z.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 8
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Unless it is important for you to keep everything original then perhaps an alternative might be an option, e.g. cam-locks.

I know that some people have used these with sattisfactory results that were also aesthetically pleasing.

CAM-LOCK

Jul 9, 2021
Visit site
Unless it is important for you to keep everything original ...
I have not lost hope yet. I believe that there is a person who has replaced his barrel, but has not yet thrown away the old one. Or I'll find an office that recycles old caravans.​
i don't even need a key

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
excuse me. I really need a long barrel for a caraloc2000 or a service hatch. Shipping to Russia is very expensive, so I am looking for a used barrel. possibly a trunk without a key. the trunk should be like a WD key Can you help me?
Try on Ebay you might be lucky

Jul 9, 2021
Visit site
ebay offers new parts with keys. I'm looking for used and without keys. it is expensive for me to pay for the delivery, so I am looking for worse, so that it is cheaper.

Jul 9, 2021
Visit site

I'll try to ask differently.

Perhaps someone used to have a lock like in the pictures, but then changed the barrel or the lock entirely.
IMG_20201026_141920.jpg
11377077084.0ec1755269ec478b914512f48765fdfa[1].jpg

I'm looking for this man

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts