Hi all thanks for allowing me to join we have tent camped for a good few years & as we get older are looking at caravanning

Jan 12, 2023
Visit site
we are going to look at a Avondale 2002 Regent caravan just wondering what to look out for the pros & cons I've seen photos of the van it looks in good condition for its age, they have owned the van for the last 8 years just been serviced last June
we don't want to spend mega money as we don't know if its for us

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Avondale used to make good caravans, but sadly the ceased trading some years ago.
That shouldn't be a problem provided that no panels need to be replaced, because most on board appliances such as the fridge, cooker and heating are generic and spares are usually still available.
The main things to look out for are signs of damp, which is the biggest killer of caravans.
If the caravan was recently serviced there should be paperwork with the results of a damp check, but when you take a look before parting with any money, use your nose to smell damp and use your eyes to have a really good look.
Check inside where the front and back panels are joined, check in the toilet / washroom area and especially inside overhead lockers, under seat storage areas and around windows and skylights.
Look behind any curtains or blinds and gently peel back rubber surrounds to look for moisture or black mould.
After a good damp inspection
( take a torch), make sure that everything works ok.
Caravans usually have 2 electrical systems, 12v for some lighting, toilet flush and water pump, and some 230v sockets for the TV etc.
The stove should ignite ok using lpg and hot water and heating systems use lpg and sometimes electricity.
If everything checks out, have a look at any paperwork, service history and ensure that the vendors actually own the caravan.
If the previous owners include and accessories such as an Aquaroll, waste container etc so much the better.
Don't pay over the odds, the caravan is over 20 years old now.
Good luck and please let us know how you get on. 😊
Good luck,

Reactions: Mel
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi Wardys and welcome to the forum.
Off the top of my head I would most definitely want to see a damp report or have a damp inspection carried out before buying the caravan. Damp can be a very expensive problem to fix if indeed it can be fixed at all.
Find out what accessories are included. The bare essentials would be a food grade fresh water hose, garden hose isn't suitable. Also the fresh water pump and power cable for the electric hook up, otherwise you will have to buy them. Anything else such as fresh water and waste water containers would be a bonus.
Check the date of manufacture of the tyres too as ideally they should be changed after five years.
Finally, don't rush into making the purchase until you are certain it's what you want.
I'm sure others here will be able to advise further.

Jan 12, 2023
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Avondale used to make good caravans, but sadly the ceased trading some years ago.
That shouldn't be a problem provided that no panels need to be replaced, because most on board appliances such as the fridge, cooker and heating are generic and spares are usually still available.
The main things to look out for are signs of damp, which is the biggest killer of caravans.
If the caravan was recently serviced there should be paperwork with the results of a damp check, but when you take a look before parting with any money, use your nose to smell damp and use your eyes to have a really good look.
Check inside where the front and back panels are joined, check in the toilet / washroom area and especially inside overhead lockers, under seat storage areas and around windows and skylights.
Look behind any curtains or blinds and gently peel back rubber surrounds to look for moisture or black mould.
After a good damp inspection
( take a torch), make sure that everything works ok.
Caravans usually have 2 electrical systems, 12v for some lighting, toilet flush and water pump, and some 230v sockets for the TV etc.
The stove should ignite ok using lpg and hot water and heating systems use lpg and sometimes electricity.
If everything checks out, have a look at any paperwork, service history and ensure that the vendors actually own the caravan.
If the previous owners include and accessories such as an Aquaroll, waste container etc so much the better.
Don't pay over the odds, the caravan is over 20 years old now.
Good luck and please let us know how you get on. 😊
Good luck,
the caravan is some distance away from me but we're doing a live video over the weekend thanks for the info I'll ask these questions when I go live with her its on sale for 1600 but they are open to offers I'll purchase a demo meter before we go to see it ourself

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
As on previous threads - the caravan tyres should be replaced around 5 years even if they look OK as they deteriorate when just sat still! On the side wall of the tyre should be found an oval 'lozenge' shape indent with 4 digits, first two are week (01 - 52) and second pair are year of manufacture. So for example 1217 would be march 2017.
It is likely to have two plugs between car and van - black for road light functions and grey for auxiliary. Later caravans have the 13 pin 'twist lock' plug/socket which is much more reliable. You can buy adapters but worth considering changing the caravan to 13 pin - but something to be considered if you intend to tow it home.
If you start to price up the additional bits and pieces it helps to do your sums when you decide on a purchase - Aquaroll and waste are around £100 then add mirrors, electric cable, car number plate, gas, battery and a lot of etc so anything included is to your advantage.
It really is buyer beware as there is very little come-back if the caravan is bought privately and turns out to be a wrong-un!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi wardys welcome to the forum has the Avondale caravan got any service history and do what everyone says give it a good check over with a damp meter and good luck

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Wardsy and welcome to the forum. The advice from Parksy is spot on. The only thing I would add is that you need to check the tow car is up to the job. The MTPLM, maximum weight of the caravan is within the cars towing limit and for a safer tow the cars kerb weight is well over the MTPLM as well. The two large clubs, the magazine and others suggest a towing ratio of 85% with the car the heavier although personally I think this is low for modern cars and 90% is more realistic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts