Hi and Help :)

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
tentmonster said:
Have you joined either the Camping and Caravan Club or the Caravan Club (or both)? Well worth doing. Both also offer a car / caravan matching service and a towing course.

Before I towed a caravan, I had towed boat and camping trailers without a problem but towing the 'van was an education - it felt so heavy on the car. And my outfit is an 87% match.

I would start with visiting 'Club' run sites first of all... I've noticed that Camping and Caravan Club wardens will usually help you put your van on your pitch and will make sure you are all OK. On other sites they tend you leave you to it.

You will need all sorts of bits and pieces besides the basic kit: chairs and table for your awning, a bucket and watering can,

Silly question, but what do you need a watering can for ???

a spirit level and chocks, electric cable, TV cable (if needed) and a torch or two is handy. I also have a nose weight gauge and check it before setting off every time now. I wondered why the car was creaking when we first towed it - had almost 100kg nose weight when limit was 75kg. Oooops. :S

Learn by your mistakes and other people will help you - usually.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Some folk use them for topping up the toilet water supply I use an old Lenor 5 liter bottle that I can mix the pink and the water in.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And also a belated welcome from me Clueless.
How did you driving test go?
I believe you may be the first to have admitted that on here.
Good luck and keep asking.

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi Dusty, thanks for the welcome. The driving part went well - 5 minors, :) , the manoeuvre went really well! Perfectly positioned and manoeuvred without any shunting.

Unfortunately, the hooking and un hooking (apparently the easiest part!) didn't go so well!

So im back again in 2.5 weeks to do it again!

This time, i will remember the hanbreak on the trailer lol! Such a stupid mistake i know!!

Car has been swapped now as well, so im in something more suitable - courtesy of the practical caravaning tow car awards!

ive got a few more weeks before the new van arrives so hopefully plenty of time to ensure this test is passed!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Congratulations, you're not so 'clueless' now, in fact you know more about taking the test than most of us because our license entitlement came through grandfather's rights

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Congratulations!
You put your money where your mouth is :cheer:
I wonder how many of us on here would pass the test today.

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
It was a really insightful thing to do actually. Glad I did it. The manoeuvring is pretty easy once you get your head around the reverse steering. The difficulty was actually learning to drive 'a manual car after years of sitting back cruising in an automatic! I had to re-discover the clutch and the hand break :)

2 weeks and the new van should be here... we are almost prepared now! Need to get some steel wool for the new tow Bar! And join one of the clubs.... ;0)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts