Hi everyone, new Elddis Tornado XL owner

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Ive just bought my first caravan yesterday. Its a 1993 Elddis Tornado XL, I know its prety old but its in realy good shape, been well looked after and everything works so for a first caravan im pretty happy.

We had actualy been thinking about building a teardrop for doing weekends round Scotland but the lack of amenities would have been something my other half probably wouldn't have dealt with too well so we started looking at buying a cheap small caravan. We were just doing a bit of reserch, looking on the internet and on gumtree when I saw the Elddis for sale for £1000 in the next village. We decided to go and have a look but to be honest I wasnt expecting much but once we got in it, it was obvious it had been someones little pride and joy. The floor has been recovered in cushion vinyl and its had a nice set of new curtains made for it but other than that its all original and not realy showing its age at all inside. On the outside its had a little ding on the back which has been repaired a bit roughly but otherwise its good.

The owner said the water heater wasn't working on gas but it actualy works fine, just needed a few tries to get the air out of the system.

We left saying we had another caravan to look at which we did intend to but couldent get to see, then after a quick discussion we both decided we weren't going to get anything better, so I phoned back and offered £800 due to the faulty water heater which he accepted and here we are.

We had no idea if we got a good deal or paid to much but we are happy with what we got for our money so I suppose thats what matters and at £800 its not like we are going to lose much anyway. And its got a brand new leasure battery in it which the owner said cost over £100.

We are hopeing to do a bit of wild camping around Scotland starting next month using the maps at wildcamping.moonfruit, has anyone got any experience of wild camping in scotland in a caravan?

Im probably going to have a few questions to ask as I get used to the Elddis but im already thinking of a few modifications to make it a a bit more practical for the wilde namely a solar panel, inboard water tank and better pump, an inverter and a webasto diesel powered heater for heating and hot water.

Ive had a good look underneath as well before I bought it and there is some signs of rott just starting in the corners but it is stil solid and im confident I can epoxy the whole floor to put a stop to any progression, there was no sign of leaks or any dampness inside and I have washed it and rinsed it off with the jet wash without any water getting in.

Sorry if ive rambled a bit, I keep thinking of more things to say and im sure ive missed quite a lot too.

Thanks everyone

Ian

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Ian.
There are some very clever technical people on here so ask away.
Enjoy Scotland. So much to see.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Welcome, Ian, to the forum, It's not a ramble, just an insite as to what you have bought and how you want to use it, have fun.
Hutch.

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome

sorry for taking a while to get back on, I had a minor disaster with my car, I was replacing the discs and pads ready for going away next week and when I took the car of the ramp the air suspension wouldn't go back up.

managed to get a 2nd hand compressor last night, got it fitted this afternoon and all ok now thankfully.

Cheers guys
ian

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ha Ha, always some thing, just replaced the front Pads on my Santafe (27000, miles) before going off to FR. Easiest pads I heve ever replaced, just wondering about the rears, as they have electronic hand brake, and don't know the procedure..
Have fun though.
Hutch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts