Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Well being a seasonal camper and walker for many years, I've decided to upgrade into caravanning, Sept 2008 was the turning point when I had camped at Crantock Bay for a weeks holiday, and the torential rain and gales started, as I layed in my tent at 3am watching the dome curve in to the floor with the wind and wondering if I slept in the car if the tent would still be there in the morning, I struggled to 5am and packed up 3 days early for a 6 hour drive home. I don't think I dried out till Bristol:)

I'm single and 34 years old so I'm sure I don't fit into the caravanning norm, infact I've seen many a surprised face at the fact I'm doing this alone, I will occasionally have family or friends with me, but for me this is a step up luxury and safety wise, to be able to have holidays when I want, and not have to wait to fit in with friends who can accomodate me in their travel plans to find we are doing the same old package holiday abroad and me paying double the price for single supplements.

I pick up my new caravan on Monday, its a Compass Corona 4 berth 2009, (with motor mover) which allows family to use it when I'm not. I did a 4 hour towing course today and I'm feeling much more confident at the prospect of towing, but nervous about tight corners.

My first trip I'm sure will be a short drive, and I hope my confidence builds up quickly, I have ambitions of seeing Ireland, Scotland and eventually over to France, but all in good time. I've booked my first weeks holiday from work at the end of April and I'm hoping this will be spent in either Northumberalnd or the Lake district, so I'll be getting my first weekend away in on the 13th/14th March.

I'm sure there is loads I don't know and that I'll get stuck with on site but I do know from years of camping on sites that we Campers/Caravanners are a friendly bunch and help each other out, so I'm sure someone will help me.

so hello to everyone, I'm sure I'll be asking questions soon!

I'm also keen to know if there are any other solo caravanners out there that can give me tips, I can't be the only one....

Lynn

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi lynn. welcome to the forum and to caravanning. I'm not a solo vanner myself (although there have been holidays with OH when i wished I was!!). I'm sure you will find plenty of help on this forum and on caravan sites. There are, I believe, clubs for solo vanners; which is good, although perhaps not everyones cup of tea.

mel

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Mel, there has been many a holiday that I wished for peace and quiet and now I have it:) I'll look out for the solo vanners clubs, though I'm not sure it will be my cup of tea, I'm more of a explore, appreciate peace, quiet and scenery and find things out for myself. I'll have plenty of time to indulge my hobby of painting.

MacHighlander, I'm sure Scotland will be on my travels!!

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lynn

Congrats on the move from canvas to hard roof multi purpose mobile dwelling

Was in the same boat as you got fed up of being washed out and finding my boots sailing in the other half of the tent

Many you have many dry days in and out the van good luck with towing

Paul & Shell (Hull)

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lynn,

I too have a 2009 model Compass Corona Club. It's a cracking 'van and will do you well. Haven't got a motor mover though. It would make life easier too as mine's a twin axle jobbie.

Enjoy your hols and if you're stuck, just ask. Most people are willing to help if you need it

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Lynn,

Welcome to the world of caravanning and to the forum. I hope your first weekend goes well. Don't be afraid to ask questions. we're a friendly bunch. I'm sure Lord Brakewynde wouldn't mind you stopping at screwham hall..He He He

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts