Sep 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, just joined and looking for advice for a first caravan.
Been camping for a few years with the kids but enough is enough and it’s time for some comfort, we love the experience but I’m getting too old for air beds!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
There's a lotta choice out there , all depends on what you want layout wise bunk beds single beds fixed beds single axle twin axle how big is your family regarding space !?

What towcar do you have to pull a / the caravan you seek , and when did you pass your test ; - before or after 97 will make a difference ,

You need to go round some caravan yards and test out some caravans take the family along , lie on the beds , stand in the space as if your way in the caravan to see what you think of it for space , it's not a 2 minute job so take your time and ask away for questions .

P.s , welcome to the forum Moor and there is a lot of help on here for you getting started , lots of knowledgeable people !! :eek:hmy:

Craig .

Sep 10, 2019
Visit site
Thanks. I’m looking at a 6 berth single axle for a family of 4 with fixed bunks, twin axle might be tricky to manoeuvre onto the driveway unless I get 4 motor movers. I have had a look online and the 2 that appeal the most are the Swift challenger sport 586 and the Bailey Ancona GT65.
I passed in 96 so I’m good to tow anything, not that I’ve ever towed before! I have a BMW 530D touring which apparently will pull most things.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Moor. Welcome to the forum. Look on the caravan finder website and you can search by layout. It will give you an idea what is out there. If you do decide on bunks, then take the children with you to browse the vans at your local sales place. Get the kids to lie down and sit up in the bunks as some bunks are rather small and bigger kids object to this. If your children are at a size where they still do fit in bunks, factor in how soon they might outgrow them.
Good luck with your search.
Mel

Sep 10, 2019
Visit site
Thanks. I did have a look on there, that’s where I narrowed my search down to what I’m looking at at the moment, I need to physically look at both models, (and others) though.
My kids are 9 and nearly 7, both pretty small and as my wife and I are far from giants they are likely to stay pretty small but they will be lying down on whatever we look at to see if they are suitable. Bunks are preferred though as we would like a table that’s a table all the time and doesn’t need to be converted from a bed before the kids can have breakfast, if they outgrown the bunks I can address that then.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes Welcome, don't worry about asking question that you might think are daft, good folk here to help.
Hutch.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Moor said:
Thanks. I’m looking at a 6 berth single axle for a family of 4 with fixed bunks, twin axle might be tricky to manoeuvre onto the driveway unless I get 4 motor movers. I have had a look online and the 2 that appeal the most are the Swift challenger sport 586 and the Bailey Ancona GT65.
I passed in 96 so I’m good to tow anything, not that I’ve ever towed before! I have a BMW 530D touring which apparently will pull most things.

The challenger is a similar layout to what we have , got the two bunks at the rear and table for the kids when they get up and our pull out bed at the front with the centre shower room , my kids 9 and 12 and manage no problems when sleeping in the bunks .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Moor. I would not say one or other is the better as it all comes down to personal preference on things like the colour scheme and other details although the one that looks in the best condition might be the better buy.
With all used caravans it is essential to make sure that there is a recent clear damp check and that everything fitted works. A dealer should be able to do this and give some guarantee if the makers has run out. If there is any guarantee left make sure you know how to transfer this and that the servicing records are there as without them the guarantee is worthless.
If buying privately make sure you get clear reports from HPI and CRIS to make sure that it is not on HP or stolen.
Good luck.

Sep 10, 2019
Visit site
I will be buying from a dealer, ideally my local dealer, I want some comeback and they have a very good reputation.
I’m not in any hurry to buy, hopefully before the spring, so I will have a good look around to find the right one for me. The Pegasus Ancona and the swift challenger sport both seem good, are there any others that are recommended?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Haggle as much as you can when you go to the dealer as you will be a first time buyer , you could also look at used Sprite Major 6's ,I don't know what your budget is but they are a good and spacious van .

Sep 10, 2019
Visit site
Thanks, the major 6 looked identical to the challenger sport, the only difference I could see were a slightly lower spec.
Probably looking to spend around the £12k mark

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi Moor, and welcome :) :)

I have the GT65 Ancona, have never used it as a 6 berth yet and only once did I use it to sleep 5, but it is used as a 4 berth fairly regularly, the two fixed bunks are spacious.

Overall I am pleased with the GT65 Ancona, you are right to look at as many options as possible to find that special layout that suits your needs, happy shopping.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Moor, welcome to the forum.
The caravan show season is almost upon us, so dealers will want to clear part ex's from their forecourts and people who have purchased new caravans will be advertising their used model in the hope of obtaining a better price than offered by their dealer.
Set your budget and sè what's available, there will be plenty of good advice on this forum before you take the plunge

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Moor said:
Thanks, the major 6 looked identical to the challenger sport, the only difference I could see were a slightly lower spec.

Hi welcome to the forum :)

I purchased a one owner Swift Challenger 586 Sport 2012 in very good condition last autumn.
I bought privately from a careful owner and it came with a full inventory of kit.
It came with an Isabella awning which I have since sold making a net cost of the caravan of £10750.
I decided on the year and model I wanted and then just kept looking reasonably locally.
I was only ever going to buy a caravan in excellent condition and was prepared to wait till one came along.
The 2012 model Challenger has a higher specification than the current Challenger 590 equivalent and would make a very good caravan for your needs as would a Sprite Major 6

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Moor said:

Hi welcome to the forum :)

I purchased a one owner Swift Challenger 586 Sport 2012 in very good condition last autumn.
I bought privately from a careful owner and it came with a full inventory of kit.
It came with an Isabella awning which I have since sold making a net cost of the caravan of £10750.
I decided on the year and model I wanted and then just kept looking reasonably locally.
I was only ever going to buy a caravan in excellent condition and was prepared to wait till one came along.
The 2012 model Challenger has a higher specification than the current Challenger 590 equivalent and would make a very good caravan for your needs as would a Sprite Major 6

This is quintessential Gafferbill. The very epitome of Measured. B) Fantastic. :cheer:
Mel

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Our major 6 has a massive walk-in shower and bathroom , loads off space , plugs , 2 TV outltessockets ,sockets all over the place, couldn't ask for much more so I don't know how much off a spec you need , we have had ours for 2 years and happy as owt with it .

Good luck .

Sep 10, 2019
Visit site
Just to update, I just bought a 2017 Bailey Pursuit 560-5. Different to what I had initially intended but ticks all the boxes and reasonably priced for the year. Thanks to all for the input

Reactions: Parksy
B

Beachball2

Belated Welcome Moor to the forum hope you enjoy your caravan and plenty of holidays

Reactions: Moor
Sep 10, 2019
Visit site
Uk trips are fine, can always rebook any time. My trip to the south of France with 2 other friends and their family will be harder to replicate. Fingers crossed we are on the road to recovery by August, I’m doubtful though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts