Hi

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's very good of you.
We live in the North East and we are buying from Ellsemere Port. The main Eldis factory where these are made is close to our home, plus other dealers that sell Eldis are within a short drive. I enquired with Eldis regarding the warranty and they said it could be transferred but did not mention I would have to use the original dealer? I'll check this out.
The issue of "Warranty" is sometime a little cloudy. But what is certain is the caravan manufacturer very rarely gets directly involved with warranty works, so the fact you are close to the manufacturer counts very very little. You can't turn up on their doorstep and get minor problems resolved. They direct you to go to a dealer or to the supplying dealer.

Because the caravan manufacturer has set up dealer network, some warranty issues can be carried out by any authorised dealer, BUT the dealer's are not obliged do carry out work on caravans they have not sold, which is why some issue can only be handled by the supplying dealer.

As you are purchasing privately, it's also worth pointing out that your statutory rights that are associated with your purchase will be with your seller, not the original supplying dealer. Private seller are still obliged to comply with the Consumer Rights Act, but they are not held quite as accountable as a dealer who is assumed to have some expertise in the products they sell.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Private seller are still obliged to comply with the Consumer Rights Act, but they are not held quite as accountable as a dealer who is assumed to have some expertise in the products they sell.
I am not aware that the CRA 2015 covers private sales as can find nothing in the legislation relating to this? Would you please be so kind as to point out the appropriate section in the legislation regarding private sale as as that is of interest to me? Many thanks.

Also managed to clear up the 50th anniversary mystery. All 2019 Buccaneers have a badge or motif on them stating 50th anniversary otherwise totally standard to any other Buccaneer.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hoping you can help.
We are in the process of buying a Buccaneer Cruiser 8ft wide 50th anniversary edition. Anyone else have this size van? Any tips/problems. We are wondering if most sites have space for this?
Thanks
Hi i have two friends both got a Buccaneer Cruiser i think one of them got 2019 he loves it he said if there dealer near to you and you see one you like it, and it suitable at a great price comes with warranty that might be the way to go , They take theres all over uk so i cannot see it been a problem ..
These are there Towcars ..
Land Rover Range Rover
BMW X5

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not aware that the CRA 2015 covers private sales as can find nothing in the legislation relating to this? Would you please be so kind as to point out the appropriate section in the legislation regarding private sale as as that is of interest to me? Many thanks.
The CRA refers to sellers, and does not differentiate between trade or otherwise.

Please do your own research.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The CRA refers to sellers, and does not differentiate between trade or otherwise.

Please do your own research.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 starts with the provision "This Part applies where there is an agreement between a trader and a consumer for the trader to supply goods, digital content or services, if the agreement is a contract"

That seems to contradict your assertion.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Any recommendations for insurers for caravan.
I’ve always used one or other of the two clubs and Saga. There’s also Caravan guard. I use the Clubs as they do have a good reputation for sorting out claims and that’s when you need it most. You will see many reviews of insurers but most of these seem to relate to how easy it is to purchase a policy not how good they are when you need to claim. DEFAQTO stars relate to what the policy contains not how good or bad the insurer is in settling claims.

Reactions: Kerry&Michael
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Any recommendations for insurers for caravan.
The CAMC no longer offer insurance for caravans and offer their own cover, but it is expensive. The only savings is that you do not pay insurance tax as it is not insurance. A few people on the Buccaneer Group have recommended Ripe Insurance or Myinsurance. We are with Towergate so cannot comment on the two companies mentioned, but apparently they are up to a third cheaper so we will be looking at them when our renewal is due. The subject strangely enough came up today on the FB Buccaneer Group.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst the CAMHC don’t offer insurance via another underwriting company the Caravan Cover is what it says. Cover for the risks to your caravan underwritten by the Club soley for members. It won awards in 2019 for customer service and your premium/ policy is backed by a formal insurance back up in the event the Club could not meet its liability. There are also links to the regulator. So it’s a safe option to consider. I move between either club as these days they vary a bit on price but they are good when things go wrong.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whilst the CAMHC don’t offer insurance via another underwriting company the Caravan Cover is what it says. Cover for the risks to your caravan underwritten by the Club soley for members. It won awards in 2019 for customer service and your premium/ policy is backed by a formal insurance back up in the event the Club could not meet its liability. There are also links to the regulator. So it’s a safe option to consider. I move between either club as these days they vary a bit on price but they are good when things go wrong.

Who issued the awards? The CMC? I gather that in the fine print the consumer cannot cannot use the regulator in the event of a dispute?

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I've only ever used Saga which I found reasonable on costs.

Unfortunately, I had my caravan stolen back in May, yes staff working remotely from their homes, did cause a glitch or two during the claim process, which in all took 5 weeks for final payment.

But well, the anticipation that I would have a battle to get what I considered a fair payment for what I had lost, never happened.

I've replaced the caravan, with quite an upgrade to what I had, and updated my policy to reflect the cover, I thought this would cost me an arm and leg, due to having made a claim. But yes the policy cost went up but from what I can see, only in reflection to the new higher amount of coverage!

One bit of advise I will say, doesn't matter how low the value of the item you've brought for your caravan, keep the receipt, has if you ever need to make a claim they do ask for these, and no you can't say well all my cooking utensils cost £50, the want to know how much that individual veg knife etc cost!

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Who issued the awards? The CMC? I gather that in the fine print the consumer cannot cannot use the regulator in the event of a dispute?

The CAMH come under the regulation of the FCA. They have a Group Insurance policy with a regulated insurance company which is regulated and has access to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Their Legal Protection policy is with DAS. The copy below is taken from the CAMH club 2020 Caravan Cover schedule. This is not some fly by night outfit which some seem to make it out to be. The reason the CAMH club are acting as their own insurer is that not being a motorised vehicle the caravan doesn’t need a recognised insurer to underwrite the policy.

“If we cannot settle your complaint with us, or it remains unresolved, you may be entitled to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Further details of the FOS may be obtained by contacting them on 0800 0234 567 or by visiting their website: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.
The existence of this complaints procedure does not prejudice your right to take legal proceedings.”

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The CAMH come under the regulation of the FCA. They have a Group Insurance policy with a regulated insurance company which is regulated and has access to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Their Legal Protection policy is with DAS. The copy below is taken from the CAMH club 2020 Caravan Cover schedule. This is not some fly by night outfit which some seem to make it out to be. The reason the CAMH club are acting as their own insurer is that not being a motorised vehicle the caravan doesn’t need a recognised insurer to underwrite the policy.

“If we cannot settle your complaint with us, or it remains unresolved, you may be entitled to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Further details of the FOS may be obtained by contacting them on 0800 0234 567 or by visiting their website: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.
The existence of this complaints procedure does not prejudice your right to take legal proceedings.”
As a member you cannot approach the FOS yourself as you do not have an insurance contract with any one. Apparently the above is misleading. The CMC however can approach the FOS on your behalf. Check it out or ask the FOS. This was confirmed on another forum.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As a member you cannot approach the FOS yourself as you do not have an insurance contract with any one. Apparently the above is misleading. The CMC however can approach the FOS on your behalf. Check it out or ask the FOS. This was confirmed on another forum.

Is that under the Compulsory or Voluntary Jurisdiction of the FCA's Financial Ombudsman Service? Do you have the link to the other Forum?

I have checked it out, and I have found the answer that a member can go directly to the FoS as a part of the Complaints Escalation Procedure. So in fact it is no different at all to having normal insurance. This copy below was from David Smith of the CAMHC:

Complaint escalation process

The following assumes that the claims negotiation does not provide the outcome that the member is satisfied with: the claimant can, if they wish, “skip” the first line and follow the rest of the process

• The member can appeal to the Clubs Senior Management responsible for Caravan Cover: they provide guidance and oversight, as is common with other areas of operation within The Club and have ultimate control on how we exercise discretion on a claims payment
  • The member can claim under the Group Policy. Builders who are providing this cover for The Club have asked that we provide these services on their behalf, as this will speed up the claims process. The investigation will be undertaken by an appropriate member of The Club’s staff and a Final Response issued. This Final Response is the trigger that enables a member to take the case to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
  • The member can then take the complaint to the FOS as the Builders policy puts the claim in their remit. We use the word ‘may’ because there are some circumstances where the FOS may say the complaint is outside of their remit ie a member can always refer to the FOS but the FOS doesn’t always accept them (although this is unusual). It is established practice for the FOS to accept complaints from the beneficiary of a Group Policy, as they look at who will “gain” financially from the claim.
  • Builders will honour the FOS decision, having followed their normal process

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Is that under the Compulsory or Voluntary Jurisdiction of the FCA's Financial Ombudsman Service? Do you have the link to the other Forum?
We don't link to other caravan forums on the message boards, but links can easily be exchanged via private messaging.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We don't link to other caravan forums on the message boards, but links can easily be exchanged via private messaging.

Apologies Parksy, but I don't now need any more information as I went directly to the "horses mouth" as they say. But it would appear that the other forum advice was wrong. You cannot beat PC Forums. :giggle:

i will have no problem renewing my insurance with whoever when it needs renewing in a couple of months time.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Apologies Parksy, but I don't now need any more information as I went directly to the "horses mouth" as they say. But it would appear that the other forum advice was wrong. You cannot beat PC Forums. :giggle:

i will have no problem renewing my insurance with whoever when it needs renewing in a couple of months time.
The third bullet point raises the issue so it seems what I read on the other forum could be correct? We took what we thought was caravan insurance with CMC last year and when I got the paper copy I realised that it was not insurance. I cancelled immediately and went to Towergate. We will stick with proper insurance companies who can offer the same cover for less money. CMC cover seems to be more expensive than many other leading companies. However it is up to the OP to decide which company to use so the ball is in their court. :)

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
I’ve always used one or other of the two clubs and Saga. There’s also Caravan guard. I use the Clubs as they do have a good reputation for sorting out claims and that’s when you need it most. You will see many reviews of insurers but most of these seem to relate to how easy it is to purchase a policy not how good they are when you need to claim. DEFAQTO stars relate to what the policy contains not how good or bad the insurer is in settling claims.
Who are the two clubs?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Who are the two clubs?
Caravan and Motorhome Club. Camping and Caravan Club. Both have lots of excellent web pages on all aspects of the hobby. Well worth joining one or both or at least looking at what their web sites offer in terms of good advice to inexperienced and experienced alike.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You have the Caravan and Motorhome club (CMC) and the other is the Camping and Caravan Club(C&CC). Both offer fully fledged servcied sites and also 5 caravans sites known as CMC Certified Locations (CLs) and C&CC Certified Sites (CS). Both offer breakdown cover when towing with a caravan however the CMC Mayday is the cheaper option. We have a Buccaneer and use the CMC as no objection to length. RAC Arrival with the C&CC is quite expensive. Many people join both clubs in their first year and then at the end of the year decdie which one is best for them. Cost for each is about £50 per annum.

BTW your Buccaneer comes standard with a Tracker that is as much good as a wet paper bag as it is reactive and you need to notify the tracking company that the caravan has been stolen. Many people who own Buccaneers have the Phantom Tracker fitted as it is Proactive and advises the tracking company if any one interferes with the caravan. The tracking company Phantom then confirm that is not you by the caravan and then notify the police. Some insurance companies insist on an active tracking subscription due to the high value of the caravan.

Reactions: Kerry&Michael

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts