HID Adaptive Headlights

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
There's been several postings regarding confusion with High Intensity Discharge Headlamps along with the Adaptive system which turns the beam towards the direction of travel and whether beam delectors are needed or not (or indeed will damage the plastic headlight cover).

I certainly was confused. There's no mention in my 2012 Cr-V's handbook (although I believe there is in the 2013 model's), while waiting for a response from my main dealer Honda's technical service informed me to use the adhesive deflectors available from the likes of Halfords and then my main dealer came up with the answer that I had euro lights and no stickers were needed!

I decided to take a cautious approach. Cautious that I didn't damage my headlamp covers! I bought stickers and carried them with me, working on the basis that if drivers started flashing me I would stop and fit them.

Well, having just returned from driving 3600 miles across Spain, France, Italy, Austria, Germany and Belgium on motorways, dual carriage ways, A roads, B roads and any other type of road you can think of in sun, rain and darkness with headlights on I'm pleased to be able to report that I didn't get flashed once. I got no questioning glances from policemen either. Until I got back to Blighty! Day after I returned, I got flashed on an A road. I've previously had the dealer check the alignment and it's spot on so it seems my headlights aren't only euro lights but they prefer Europe!

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I'm very surprised at the response that you got from Honda. You shouldn't stick anything on HID headlamps, because the light is so powerful that some could be reflected as heat from the back of what is stuck on and actually damage the light unit itself. That's why HID units MUST have washers too.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
That's exactly how I understand it as well. Apparently not by Honda Technical assist though - unless I got the office cleaner! I did email them, perhaps they didn't log off and shut down at the end of day. I've still got the reply though, I kept it in case I was stopped and made to fit the deflectors and damage did occur. Would have been down to Honda then.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Nigel Hutson said:
I'm very surprised at the response that you got from Honda. You shouldn't stick anything on HID headlamps, because the light is so powerful that some could be reflected as heat from the back of what is stuck on and actually damage the light unit itself. That's why HID units MUST have washers too.

I have used deflectors on my HIDs with no problem. HIDs run very much cooler than conventional headlights. I don't see how there is any heat in reflected light (as opposed to reflected heat). I belive HIDs have washers to try to avoid scattered light from dirt.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
ChrisUK,
You're quite right. Having done some research since posting several months ago (based upon what various organisations were saying!), it's the infra-red light in halogen bulbs that causes the heat. The reason that self-levelling and washers are fitted to HID systems is purely for anti-dazzle purposes.
However, it still seems that most manufacturers don't recommend sticking anything on HID light units (presumably for the same anti-dazzle reasons as the light in HID units is far stronger (brighter) than in other bulbs).

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Because of their high intensity, sticking anything on the lenses can actually defeat the whole object of preventing dazzle. The stickers reflect light back into the headlamp unit, causing scatter of the beam pattern, which may actually cause dazzle rather than reduce it.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I know it is a different vehicle but the following might add to this thread.
Last year I forgot to reset my Disco 3 adaptive HID lights from the continental setting before it had the MOT;
It passed without comment.
This morning with UK settings it passed without comment.
Fired at the garage door I cant see any difference between the settings, both simple horizontal cut off.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
ChrisUK said:
I have used deflectors on my HIDs with no problem. HIDs run very much cooler than conventional headlights. I don't see how there is any heat in reflected light (as opposed to reflected heat). I belive HIDs have washers to try to avoid scattered light from dirt.
Einstein explains it with E=MC2.
All light energy eventually dissipates to heat energy.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
With regards to all these cars having HID and rear led lights, a couple of my friends have just had bad experiences, 1 has a 2 1/2 year old VW passat CC , the bulb exploded damaging the light unit, the cost was £1000 to replace , VW only offer 6 months warranty on bulbs and are refusing to cough up!!
2nd car Mercedes ML with led rear lights, indicator bulb failure , replace the bulb? no the whole rear unit has to be replaced, cost £350 plus labour. luckly he got it under warranty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts