hitch drive

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i have unfortunately recently became single, sob sob. I do not want to give up caravanning especially as just recently purchsed a new van. Seen the hitch drive advertised any one know of it or have one fitted? I dont expect miracles just extra help at where i store my van which is flat concrete and also on sites, any comments gratefully received.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Good for you to keep on caravanning, hope things sort out for you.

I've always had to manoeuvre the caravan on my own (to avoid arguments) even though I suffer with arthritis in the legs and back.

On site I always use the car to move the caravan, even without 4-wheel drive, this has never been a problem. It means getting in and out quite a lot and sometimes needs a second attempt.

At home, where there isn't room to turn and reverse in, I have to manhandle on my own. This is now becoming too demanding as it's up a slight (drainage angle) slope, so I'll have to consider motorisation soon.

It seems to me that hitch drives have too many restrictions (slope, surface grip) to justify the cost so I'm saving up for a motor mover.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
ian, is the one you are lookin at the purple hand wound gadget?

if so my neighbour has one, b----y useless, it says stand on to give extra grip, you need to be an acrobat. splash out and get a mover fitted. good luck mate.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Ian,

Just have a look in the for sale ads! Say no more.

I'm in the same boat as you with arthritis in the spine, knees,ankle, shoulder ( should I go on)? No OK! I'm saving for a decent motor mover that fits to the van. Only problem may be the extra weight?

I'll just have to go on a diet LOL.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ian,

If you only intended to use an 'A' frame mounted mover at home where you say you have a flat hard surface, then I believe it would be fine. Your last note about using it on sites does raise concern; Most of the other respondents have hinted that their experience with this type of mover leaves a lot to be desired, simply because they become ineffective on uneven, slopping or slippy surfaces.

It is down to basic physics, that the maximum push or pulling force (drawbar) one of these devises can produce is only equal to the force (or weight) pushing the driving wheel to the ground. In most cases that will be the nose weight of the caravan plus the weight of the mover circa a maximum of about 125Kg, and could be a lot less. That would be about equal 1.5 adults.

Now consider; How much of a slope could two adults hold your caravan on without the brake? Not very much, and the a frame drivers suffer exactly the same force so that is a major limiting factor.

From a safety point of view. If you were manoeuvring your caravan on the flat, and you moved it onto a slope, the 'A' frame mover would quickly loose the ability to control the caravan, and it would start to move down the hill out of control. You would need to reach the brake to stop it, quite a juggling act.

The second major factor over which you have no control, it the condition of the surface on which the hitch drive is operating. As soon as it rains, the coefficient of friction between the wheel and the surface is reduced, add in wet leaves, grass or icy condition, and the situation is made so much worse. Similarly the relatively small diameter of wheel used on these devices does not cope well with gravel or other loose surfaces.

This is where the chassis mounted movers that drive the caravans main wheels score. The same law applies that the draw bar is only equal to the down force on the driven wheels, so you now have the bulk of the caravan on the driven wheel so the drawbar force will be roughly equal to the weight of the caravan. A much more secure situation, and the larger diameter wheels and increased contact area improves performance on loose surfaces.

Caution still has to be used, but there is a much better margin of safety.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts