HitchDrive caravan mover

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone have any comments on the Purple Line Hitchdrive - a replacement jockey wheel which manually moves a caravan without adding too much weight or using a battery?

The videos on the web site all seem a bit too good to be true - and we have to go up a bit of an incline on our driveway.

Many thanks for any answers.

Lynn

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lynn, I too looked at these, but was put off by the many ones for sale in the classifieds of PC & others, as the sellers all said they were ok on the dead level, but not enough traction on any hill, and the Mk II is essential with the tractor tyre & step. Most retailers will lend you a demo to try on a sale or return basis, also some 'van manufactureres don't like them as they say they can put undue strains on the chassis. We bit the bullet & bought a Mr Shifta - great piece of kit, makes getting the 'van out of our 7'9" wide drive easy. Try one first. Found a supplier who sells H/D's for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Concidered Hitch Drive when first advertised,waited till I saw one in use, asked owner about it, he said it was a pre production one that he had to report on, he was not over impressed, said not to bad pushing but poor pulling.

I see that a foot plate ect has now been added and the price increased to c

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lynn,

If you read many of the postings on these forums you will see that many caravanners sing the praises of most makes of movers, so on the whole they are one of the best ideas of recent times. They especially help the less able caravanners who other wise would have had to give up on one of their pleasures and freedoms. You will be aware there are basically two generic types of mover, the tow hitch systems, and the main wheel systems.

All movers can develop enough power to move a caravan, but it is the ability of the mover to grip the ground that is most important. It is a physical fact that hitch mounted devices cannot not grip the ground as well as the main wheel devices, simply because of the force (weight) that pushes them to the ground. The hitch variety only has its own weight plus the nose weight of the caravan, where as the main wheels have half the weight of the caravan on each wheel! On the flat this is not a problem, but on slopes it potentially very dangerous.

My concern in your case is derived from your need to move the caravan on an incline. If you cannot stop and hold the caravan on the slope JUST ON YOUR OWN (without the brakes being applied), then I would be very suspicious about any of the hitch mounted movers being able to control the caravan safely on the slope.

I personally favour the main wheel systems because of their enhanced safety in operation and overall ability in difficult terrain. They are also available when you get to your holiday site so you can just position the caravan for levelling and getting the best view.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lynn; I bought a Mark II version earlier this year from Towsure. Like you, my drive is on a slight incline. Sorry to say, it was bundled up and sent back to Towsure for a refund. I tried everything, lowering the pressure in the tyre, standing on the foot plate. All that happened was the wheel span around but the van would not move. Having said that, I do have a Swift Challenger 520, which is quite a heavy van. My advise, save your money.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mike, Sorry to read of your experience.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 and other relevant legislation states That goods must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. Provided you told the dealer what you wanted it for and he continued to supply it, but subsequently it has failed in its intended purpose then the dealer has breached the Act, and must offer a full refund or offer you an alternative device for teh job.

Go back and demand your money back, if still no response contact Trading Standards, and, or, a soliciter.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I tried a prototype one on my van and in a nut shell, it was useless. We now have a motor mover big foot, much better. Cost 200 quid. Now we can move our van with relative ease.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, bought a h/drive mk II for my van a dealer special based on an Eldiss Avante 505, originally had some problems with the H/drive, but made sure tyres were at correct pressure and was ok. Our drive is block paved and on an incline, and to get on the road there is a small bump to get over and found no problems, seems I am unique

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lynn,

Save your money and buy a Powertouch with 5 years guarantee and they are really good.You have been given some excellent advice on this forum. Good Luck .Jim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts