Hobbies & Interests

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reading a response from Lord B to a comment I made under the heading "Smoking Ban" it would appear to me that we have a similar interest in steam trains. I am also interested in British classic vehicles. Are there other contributers to the forum with hobbies or interests they would like to share with each other. Keep it clean.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Having been born at a house with a railway line at the bottom of the garden in Hereford and wherever I moved too in my early years had a railway line just yards away, railways were in my blood. Living across the road from the mine at Clipstone, Notts where I moved to when I was 5 and watching LNER 04s and LMS 8Fs shunting the empties in the sidings gave me the longing to become an engine driver. I also travelled all over the place train spotting locally, Old Clipstone, Tuxford, Retford, Mansfield, Nottingham then venturing even further to places like York, Crewe, Nuneaton and Rugby. After leaving school I moved back to Hereford to live with my grandparents because they lived close to the local engine shed and again there was a line at the bottom of their garden. I got a job as a cleaner but they were so short of firemen I was only cleaning for a week. I then spent some years firing until Dr. Beeching came along. It was at this time I got married and again there was a line at the bottom of the garden of our first house. I was made redundant soon after and was successful in getting a transfer to Southall but decided this wasnt the way to start married life living in a hostel miles from my wife so changed my mind and left the railways. I had many happy times doing the job and loved it and the cameraderie amongst the footplate men. I worked on many classes of engine, most of the GWR locos with the exception of the King Class. L.M.S. classes (or Jackos as they were known to Western men) I fired were Black 5s, 8Fs, Crabs and Jubilees. I fired most Standard classes but only one Britannia, 70054 on a christmas parcels to Bristol and back. The most famous loco I fired was the last British steam engine built, 92220 Evening Star, which I worked on a few times whilst it was based at Ebbw Junction at Newport and Cardiff Canton. Those were the days and although I never became a driver I dont regret making the decision I did because those days cant be re-enacted today despite the preserved lines. Coincidentally I met my wife through a friend ( another fireman)who was courting her friend. It turned out my wifes father was an engine driver and her grandfather was a retired engine driver. Her dads cousin was a driver and her cousin was a fireman. Initially I used to dodge her dad if I saw him at work heheheh! but he was one of the nicest people you could wish to meet with a heart of gold to match. He sadly passed away in 1983 and I still miss him. Apologies if this is a bit longwinded.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Classic Cars - Classic Motorcycles.

And for some inexplicable reason two stroke motors!

Anyone who remembers the first Saab two strokes screaming their way to Rally victories may remember the exhilarating sound compared to the other cars.

Tho the Wartburg Knight was a bit of a dog!

Then anyone who rode a Kawasaki or Suzuki triple got off them with a silly grin ( as long as there were not too many corners as their frames seemed to have a hinge in the middle compared to a Norton or Triumph)

I rebuilt a Suzuki GT550 (two stroke triple) a couple of years ago because it was me doing that or it going to the scrappy.

What a laugh! Brought back so many memories.

If I ever got rid of my Land Rover "infatuation" - I would have one or possibly more of the Rover saloons - But only with that superb V8 engine!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having been born at a house with a railway line at the bottom of the garden in Hereford and wherever I moved too in my early years had a railway line just yards away, railways were in my blood. Living across the road from the mine at Clipstone, Notts where I moved to when I was 5 and watching LNER 04s and LMS 8Fs shunting the empties in the sidings gave me the longing to become an engine driver. I also travelled all over the place train spotting locally, Old Clipstone, Tuxford, Retford, Mansfield, Nottingham then venturing even further to places like York, Crewe, Nuneaton and Rugby. After leaving school I moved back to Hereford to live with my grandparents because they lived close to the local engine shed and again there was a line at the bottom of their garden. I got a job as a cleaner but they were so short of firemen I was only cleaning for a week. I then spent some years firing until Dr. Beeching came along. It was at this time I got married and again there was a line at the bottom of the garden of our first house. I was made redundant soon after and was successful in getting a transfer to Southall but decided this wasnt the way to start married life living in a hostel miles from my wife so changed my mind and left the railways. I had many happy times doing the job and loved it and the cameraderie amongst the footplate men. I worked on many classes of engine, most of the GWR locos with the exception of the King Class. L.M.S. classes (or Jackos as they were known to Western men) I fired were Black 5s, 8Fs, Crabs and Jubilees. I fired most Standard classes but only one Britannia, 70054 on a christmas parcels to Bristol and back. The most famous loco I fired was the last British steam engine built, 92220 Evening Star, which I worked on a few times whilst it was based at Ebbw Junction at Newport and Cardiff Canton. Those were the days and although I never became a driver I dont regret making the decision I did because those days cant be re-enacted today despite the preserved lines. Coincidentally I met my wife through a friend ( another fireman)who was courting her friend. It turned out my wifes father was an engine driver and her grandfather was a retired engine driver. Her dads cousin was a driver and her cousin was a fireman. Initially I used to dodge her dad if I saw him at work heheheh! but he was one of the nicest people you could wish to meet with a heart of gold to match. He sadly passed away in 1983 and I still miss him. Apologies if this is a bit longwinded.
Lord B, when were you at Ebbw Junction? My late father-in-law,Harry Doble was an engine driver out of Ebbw for many years. He retired in 1965, and lived until he was 96.One of my fondest memories of him, and there are many, was the look on his face when I was able to arrange for him to drive a preserved loco on the Dean Forest railway.He was the only days from his 95th birthday, and by sheer coincidence,the real driver was one of Dad's old firemen!I could talk of him for hours, but I'll leave it at that for now.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Classic cars. I have a 1955 Hillman Minx convertible (roll on summer)

Yes trains although only to the point that if we are away anywhere near a steam train we will have a ride (I would not stand on a platform all day with a flask and a jotter pad). My degree studies are a hobby as I am doing them for self and not for work advancement. I also consider my (part time) business to be a hobby as I enjoy it so much. Massive Koi pond in the garden and ,like Clive, historic rallying-mainly because what is now considered an historic rally car I was working on and preparing in the late seventies and eighties.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord B, when were you at Ebbw Junction? My late father-in-law,Harry Doble was an engine driver out of Ebbw for many years. He retired in 1965, and lived until he was 96.One of my fondest memories of him, and there are many, was the look on his face when I was able to arrange for him to drive a preserved loco on the Dean Forest railway.He was the only days from his 95th birthday, and by sheer coincidence,the real driver was one of Dad's old firemen!I could talk of him for hours, but I'll leave it at that for now.
Hi emmerson, I wasn't a fireman at Ebbw Junc. I was a fireman at Hereford although we did go onto that shed sometimes to stable our loco if our train was for Newport. After Cardiff Canton shed closed for rebuilding we would have to stable our engine at Cardiff East Dock shed and if we didnt have a return working we'd travel home on the cushions. Walking from East Dock to Cardiff General was a bit scarey along Bute Road in the small hours.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

Yes trains although only to the point that if we are away anywhere near a steam train we will have a ride (I would not stand on a platform all day with a flask and a jotter pad). My degree studies are a hobby as I am doing them for self and not for work advancement. I also consider my (part time) business to be a hobby as I enjoy it so much. Massive Koi pond in the garden and ,like Clive, historic rallying-mainly because what is now considered an historic rally car I was working on and preparing in the late seventies and eighties.
My first car was a Hillman Minx, with front bench seat just made for courting. You had to watch the column change gear lever though. I loved it. SCJ 209.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi All

OH had a Super Minx!!

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Classic Cars - Classic Motorcycles.

And for some inexplicable reason two stroke motors!

Anyone who remembers the first Saab two strokes screaming their way to Rally victories may remember the exhilarating sound compared to the other cars.

Tho the Wartburg Knight was a bit of a dog!

Then anyone who rode a Kawasaki or Suzuki triple got off them with a silly grin ( as long as there were not too many corners as their frames seemed to have a hinge in the middle compared to a Norton or Triumph)

I rebuilt a Suzuki GT550 (two stroke triple) a couple of years ago because it was me doing that or it going to the scrappy.

What a laugh! Brought back so many memories.

If I ever got rid of my Land Rover "infatuation" - I would have one or possibly more of the Rover saloons - But only with that superb V8 engine!
This post brought back a few memories for me Clive, when I was 17 I had a 250 Honda (four stroke) and someone give me a go on a 250 Yamaha and wow what a difference it absolutely flew, I couldn't believe the acceleration so as soon as I passed my test I had to have a two stroke so I went out and bought a brand new Suzuki GT 550

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

This is what mine looks like except its ruby red with beige interior. Never been welded on the underside, still has the original hood (A bit tatty round the edges) and original interior. All that and only 57000 genuine miles. And like yours my lord-bench seats and column change.

http://www.motorbase.com/profiles/vehicle/picture.ehtml?i=733;p=389341303

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
Powerboating, loafing about in the water, skiing, banana boating and sea fishing, hence a seasonal pitch at the seaside, unless its legal for a caravan and boat road train combination. AGGHHHH 50ft combination that would be interesting through some small villages LOL

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Mine are:

The landrover (green laning)

My bikes (and riding as many miles as possible)

Photography

I used to love the garden, then we got Toby. But still, the Photography is fun. http://www.jensanet.hopto.org/Favourites.htm

Steve

Oct 5, 2005
Visit site
Mine are :

Running a kids under 9's football team (lost yesterday - aaaggghhh)

Watching Nottingham Forest (enough said)

Playing golf (most frustrating game in the world)

Roll on Easter - I need a holiday in the van to relax a bit!!

G

I see some similar interests here. I am 57 now, but always been interested in railways, Crewe born and bred, what did you expect. Now have a model railway in the loft that I am building, for the grandchildren of course.

I too like my motorbikes, never miss a round of British Superbikes, wife and I go to all 13 rounds, and all 3 days of each round....thats what the caravan is for. I still own a 1960 Ariel Arrow 250cc two stroke twin, but also have a year 2000 Aprilia 250cc two stroke twin, which I do track days on at plaves like Donington. Dont ride on the road, too dangerous, just do 130mph on a track, with my knee down...far safer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't have time for hobbies. I'm retired, and that's a full time job! Obviously, my caravan is the main hobby and interest, but other than that, just living life to the full is my hobby! I used to collect and exhibit stationary engines,until we (herself, really) decided to use our Royale for what it was built for, rather than as a base for exhibiting.I'm also chair of the Royale Owner's Club, in between fit in Project Officer for the rebuild of our village hall, and find time to assist with the village Lunch Club,and do a bit of charity work too.I also do a little agency driving to top up my PO pension.Other than that, my times my own!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i was a scuba diver for 20 years ,but now i am content to go fishing for Barbel ,also like weight training, and firing my air rifle at targets ,not animals ,also enjoy photography and my PC

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We used to work to Crewe from Hereford. In my time Gresty Lane shed, where Western engines used to go, was closed so we always went to Crewe North MPD. I never did go onto South MPD.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
"Born at a house with railway line at the bottom of the garden"

I'm waiting for the bit where Lord B said,"addy I want a train set" and the hole charade was put into place by his doting father!

When did you catch on that the regular passengers were estate workers and villagers and that you had infact been playing trains in the back garden :)

On a serious point, this train tal has been very interesting

Old beeching has alot to anser for!

TRENDING THREADS