hobby caravan

May 19, 2015
Visit site
we have just seen a Hobby Caravan as it past us on our way home from holiday. on looking it up on the web we found it to be very luxuries in side and very cheap how come we haven't seen anything in your magazine or any magazine come that !. And haven't seen any for sale either are they not made in this country. not that we want to buy one as we are very happy with our little van. we were just wondering

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Hobby caravans are made in Germany and are one of the biggest selling vans in Europe.
Sadly there seems to be an almost boycott by the UK caravan magazines to review them, probably due to past association with "travellers".

The main importer for Hobby vans is Ambergate Caravans in Derby.

In Germany they are a mid market van, but as with most things German, they are very well built and generally cause little in the way of problems as any problem found in production is dealt with and solved to prevent it happening again.

UK makers should take a leaf out of their book and fix the most common place problems in UK built vans.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to say I cannot remember a review of a Hobby caravan in ant magazine including the club ones. Makes me think that they simply are not available to the press for review although it it beats me why.
The CC site lets you look up reviews of everything tested and Hobby are not there.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Phil.Q said:
Hi, and welcome.

Hobbies are a lovely van, but a very niche market.

Question is - why the niche market? German cars and household appliances are hardly niche in the UK. I suspect that, along with other German brands such as Fendt, LMC and Tabbert, they have been associated with certain sections of the community, and there have been occasional stories of people being refused access to sites with these brands. This no doubt suppresses demand, which is a shame as they are very attractive looking vans. I too would like to see these presenting some competition to UK brands to force up the quality

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I'll stand corrected here. I thought the Hobby of old was 8ft wide .Too wide to
be towed by a "conventional " vehicle.Rather they needed a LGV.
Hence the rarity and why they may not have been welcomed at all sites.
A lot of those prejudices have been overcome in recent years so maybe we will gradually see more on our sites in the future.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hobby vans have always come in 2.3mtr and 2.5mtr widths.
The vans up to the 540 range were 2.3,mtrs , the 600 and 700 range were 2.5mtrs.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The scarcity does seem to down more to them not attacking the market but just making their models available here. The most successful foreign manufacturer is probably Adria who recognise the difference in our market from the continent and make UK specific models. They might sell more though if they had a dealer in Scotland.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts