hobby caravans

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I've spent the weekend looking at hobbys and I'm liking what I'm seeing. The models I'm looking at are 23-24ft. I've been told by a few people (who I know have no experience of these vans) that some sites turn them away. On the other hand I've spoken to folk with hobbys of that size who say they've never had a problem. I'm aware of the association with travellers etc, I wondered if anyone could shed a bit more light on the (apparently taboo) subject of large foreign vans?

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Craig.

We have a German Fendt, a twin axle at the moment and before that we have had Hobbys. We have never had a problem on any of the sites we have visited and up to now we personally have not met anyone else who had a Hobby or Fendt who had had a problem.

The only thing that happened to us was that one of our Fendts was stolen from the garden and so now we have our van in secure storage. We have our own thoughts on who stole it!

We like German vans and would not go back to English, but everyone to their own taste.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for that Joyce. I believe that for the money the Hobby can't be beaten. Well, perhaps only by the Tabbert, but they mostly don't have washrooms. The extra body width make them feel like a palace. Mine will be in secure storage too, as I think the neighbours would object to 24ft of caravan outside my house. I think the Fendt is just a Hobby in a different body isn't it?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Possibly, Craig. Fendt belongs to the Hobby Group. Hymer and Knaus are the other two big players in Germany. Eriba, Buerstner, Dethleffs, T.E.C. and LMC belong to Hymer. Tabbert and Wilk are part of Knaus.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
I do believe that the Fendt is looked upon as the deluxe model to the Hobby. Although I have seen some very nice interiors in the Hobby. Yes the width is great and the build in exceptional. We do not seem to have encounted the problems with things going wrong that others have been talking about on the forum.

By the way hi Lutz hope you are ok. We will not be attending the easter rally so will not be seeing you before Dusseldorf as we have a rally in Holland. Pity it sounds good...enjoy yourselves.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I do believe that the Fendt is looked upon as the deluxe model to the Hobby. Although I have seen some very nice interiors in the Hobby. Yes the width is great and the build in exceptional. We do not seem to have encounted the problems with things going wrong that others have been talking about on the forum.

By the way hi Lutz hope you are ok. We will not be attending the easter rally so will not be seeing you before Dusseldorf as we have a rally in Holland. Pity it sounds good...enjoy yourselves.
Yes, thank you, Joyce. Everything is fine. We'll be leaving home for the UK on Wednesday and will be touring until the Easter meet except for an interruption at the end of March where I have to fly back to Germany on business.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Having owned a Hobby there are several problems which should be thought about before purchase.

Firstly, make sure that the Hobby you are thinking of buying is no more than 7'6" wide. Otherwise it would be illegal to tow in this country unless you have a 3.5 tonne truck.

Insurance companies fight shy of these caravans for obvious reasons. Many sites will not accept Hobby's for the same reason.

There are no 12v batteries fitted to the large Hobby's so there is no backup electrical system, unless mains.

Finally, the work surface is poor.

The construction, on the other hand, is second to none which is a great shame as they are a great 'van.

Sorry to be so negative, but hope this is helpful.

Apr 27, 2006
Visit site
i to have a hobby and i do worry about the reg on how wide it is but, mine is a 650 uk spec so i don't thing it is over wide, can any one reasure me on this matter please? i also want to know where i can get the plastic covering that the seats are coverd in as i'm having mine recoverd and would like to keep my kids from distructing them as soon as we go out touring.....

ps i never have a prob with getting on sites,the only thing that does happen is people come to see it and admire it which is not a neg thing that most think when wning a hobby.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
To my knowledge, all Hobby's up to the 540 are alright to tow in the UK. Over that, and that includes the 650, are wider than 2.3m and can therefore only be towed by an over 3.5 tonne commercial vehicle or a foreign-registered car.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
You are right Lutz, all Hobbys 560 and upwards are 2.5mtrs (8ft) wide regardless of whether they are UK spec. Uk spec simply means they are fitted 12n&12s plugs rather than the 13 pin jaeger plug. I have owned a Hobby 635 for a few months now and have had no problems towing or entering sites. Apparently, Garry, the law on towing 8ft wide 'vans has become very relaxed since most people who do so use large towing vehicles. I now know a fair few people (including two policemen) who tow Hobbys and have never been questioned. If it really worries you buy a car originally registered in Eire.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Buying a car originally registered in Eire is not going to get you out of a potential problem. It's where the car is currently registered that counts.

However, I have heard rumours that the law is being reviewed and maybe it will be possible to tow up to 2.5m wide legally in the not-too-distant future. The UK is the only country in the EU with a 2.3m limit so it would help if requirements were brought into line.

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
Knowing how insurance companies will use any excuse to avoid paying out on a claim, I hope anyone towing an illegal van has cleared it with their motor insurers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts