Hook ups in France

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello there. posted this before but must have done it wrong so here goes again. While perusing details of French camp sites I have noticed they offer a variety of amps (6/10/16) in their hook ups. Can anyone explain this bewildering variety and, more importantly, what difference it makes? Thanks!

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Put the kettle on and I'll tell you - no, on second thoughts, don't do that unless you're plugged into one of the higher-rated hookups!
Because it's all about the total current drawn by the appliances you're using. If your hookup is mainly for keeping your leisure battery charged, and maybe running the fridge to save a bit of gas, then the lower rate ones will be fine, but TVs etc draw more, and as soon as you start heating anything (water, people, etc) you're really into the heavy duty stuff.
So depending how much electricity you want to use, you may or may not need the higher rated pitches - which will probably cost a bit more than the lower ones where a choice is offered on the same site.
No doubt someone will be along in a minute to give you chapter and verse on how many amps you need for different appliances, but I hope this gives you a general idea of what's going on.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
once upon a time there was an excellent motor home site as run by Neill King, over time it underwent several changes and upgrades but unfortunately the Forum element was attacked by plonkers and cretins
the info part is still available however , also the online shop,

see http://www.motorcaravanning.com/vehicles/electrics.htm

I do not understand electricty, but since we only use the very basic equipment, battery charger, fridge, lights and v occasionally kettle or heater we simply operate on the basis that we only run one item with a heating element at a time, and make sure only on 1kw setting at that
so far so good

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts