House De-Valuation

Mar 29, 2006
Visit site
My boss has just told me of a couple on his estate who were told that the three nearby houses with caravans on the drive would knock, wait for it.............£10.000 or the value of their house !!

Has anyone come across this before ?

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, it's estate agent speak.

My neighbours' son was told the same, so moved his caravan to Dad's drive, one year later and house still unsold, caravan still on Dad,s drive.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
To some extent "billshut". A builder has just built two new house on the outskirts of our village, on one side a large lunar the other side the house has a large horse trailer and accros the road there is a swift. The two house were sold before the house were half built fo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depends on who you have got living in it!

More seriously, Insurance companies are now aware that having a caravan stored on your drive is a dead giveaway for when you are away using it!

Best to store it on a site in most cases.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Can someone explain how the caravan being gone means the house is empty.

And for many it will be indication that the Flat sreen TV the Sat Box and the DVD will not be at home to nick and now will the credit cards ;-)

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I agree ,just because van has gone will not always mean the house is empty,for example my grown up daughter doesnt come with us do she is at home equally my van has just been away for around a week being serviced but I was at home.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I don't think it matters van at houses if there is suffient space for it.

Just had our mortgage offer so its's only signing of contracts now.

Hubby wants to put van at the side of the house, I don't, I like to say goodbye and say hello and get all excited seeing it arrive again.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
The house next door to us has had three occupants in the twenty three years we have lived here, all that time we have had a caravan, admittedly not on the drive. It certainly did not knock any value off or deter anybody from purchasing the place.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We must be the 'Odd Couple' - when relocating it is essential that we have space for a caravan/2 cars on our land. I don't believe the devaluation. I would have thought it would have put

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Being simplistic, or is it Norfolk speak?

The lower the price (within reason) the faster the sale.

But then I have always considered estate agents as the A Level brackets (failed) type.

ttfn

Norfolk Mike

May 21, 2008
Visit site
What bull.

I have two caravans on my front garden and also two cars. No body has either complained or spoken to me about this de-valuing their property. There has been house sales in the vacinity, not because of the caravans I might add. Prices have been in keeping with any property on the estate.

If you like a property you'll buy it warts and all.

I think a tidy clean caravan is just as pleasant to look at as a car.

Steve.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I guess with this it's a case of being objective and thinking "as the man in the street" not as caravanerers. I think you could de-value a house in one way because of prejudice. It would be so easy for some to be flicking through the books or on the web and see a van and say "Oh I don't fancy living next to that it will block my light" etc therefore one house next door that remains unsold.

A little bit of anecdotal evidence of this was when we moved just over two years ago and one house had remained unsold for a long-time when we looked at it; the agent was adamant that the reason was the caravan in the front garden. I agreed with him to a point because you eye wasn't drawn to the front of the house in its truest sense but to a 10 year old van and not everyone has vision to imagine.

Regards Monkeys Husband

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peeps

It has taken me 3 years to buy a house, why?

People have been to greedy, a couple of houses have come on the market identical to the one we are buying their price

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
We keep our 'van at home on the front drive.

We have an end terrace with our large drive adjacent to our neighbours. So before we parked the 'van up, I went and had a chat with her and asked if it was going to cause her any problems and if so we would get it put in storage. She was more than happy and asked if she could take a look inside!

I think if you are considerate towards your neighbours and keep the van clean and tidy, then it shouldn't be a problem or de-value the surrounding houses. Also the 2 houses almost directly opposite us have just sold - so it obviously didn't deter the buyers!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Mine is on the drive, close to the bungalow. I've had no problems with neighbours. The caravan isn't obscuring anyones view and it's kept clean and all owners park their cars on their drives, theres none left on the road. As well as my van I can park 2 more cars. Around the corner its a different matter. Five owners have transit vans for their businesses, as well as their cars, which are all parked on the road. I know which I would prefer to look at between 5 caravans parked on drives and 5 transit vans parked on the road. Saying that I'm probably fortunate to live in a quiet road where everyone seems to live and let live and get on together, I'm sure all it would take is one miserable old git to move here and upset the apple cart ;O)

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Mine is on the drive, close to the bungalow. I've had no problems with neighbours. The caravan isn't obscuring anyones view and it's kept clean and all owners park their cars on their drives, theres none left on the road. As well as my van I can park 2 more cars. Around the corner its a different matter. Five owners have transit vans for their businesses, as well as their cars, which are all parked on the road. I know which I would prefer to look at between 5 caravans parked on drives and 5 transit vans parked on the road. Saying that I'm probably fortunate to live in a quiet road where everyone seems to live and let live and get on together, I'm sure all it would take is one miserable old git to move here and upset the apple cart ;O)
Your van is parked by the ' bungalow ' I presume you means the one belonging to one of your servants !

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
It's a pseudonym for my hunting lodge tony ;O) her Ladyship hunts while I hide.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Actually,

His Lordship has obviously hit hard times :0(

He's already admitted that his coat of arms has fallen off his car........standards are beginning to slip......bet he's not paid his staff for ages.... redunduncies will be announced shortly :0(

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Actually,

His Lordship has obviously hit hard times :0(

He's already admitted that his coat of arms has fallen off his car........standards are beginning to slip......bet he's not paid his staff for ages.... redunduncies will be announced shortly :0(
........ Maureen if only you realised how hard times are. It already looks as if we have got to cut the times away in our van this year from 19 to 18 :O( if you feel inclined to have a whip round for me please don't let me stop you. Mentioning whip I can hear my maid calling for me :O)

TRENDING THREADS