House Insurance - Decent Unoccupied Period

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We would like to tour for a decent period of time next year. This year, we were constrained by our house insurance that restricted us to 60 days unoccupied only. Ideally we would like to be away for 4 months although I realise that may be asking too much from an insurance company. We have family that could come and stay for a weekend from time to time. Can anyone recommend a company that allows you to travel for a reasonable amount of time.
Thanks.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
We have this problem, but are fortunate in having my son only a mile away, and he and his wife live in their own house during the week, and our house at weekends. Solves the problem, as the insurance doesn't say that YOU have to live in the house, just that it must not be unoccupied.
Be aware also that some health insurance only covers for 31 days, and to add extra days is very expensive.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Generally the insurer will require the house to be checked at regular intervals set out by them but the conditions vary from company to company so the best bet is to ask them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Long time unattended properties are a thieves / squatters delight.
As Ray says ask your Insurer but be prepared for a no deal or a hefty premium hike.
Have you thought about a professional house sitter?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks - not worried about squatters etc as we live in a very small close with at least 5 houses keeping an eye out for us at the front and an almost unassailable 14ft fence & hedge at the rear. Unfortunately my current insurance company will not go above 60 days. However we met several people whilst we were touring this year who had been away for longer. I will have to trawl through the internet and insurance companies to see if any of them will do it for longer, accepting that there will be conditions. The post was really a shortcut to what will be a lengthy procedure in the hope that someone had been there before me and could recommend a company offline. Hadn't thought about professional house sitters - thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The house insurance offered through Caravan Club offers 90 days unoccupied cover subject to conditions about the type of locks fitted etc. I think there are some variations depending perhaps on your post code - our renewal dropped dramatically when we moved from L for Liverpool to BA for rural Somerset ( as did the car insurance).
No offence Liverpudlians - the same would probably have happened if we'd been WN Wigan instead.

They will probably require a weekly visit over 60 days , and having a monitored alarm and/or being a member of a registered neighbourhood watch scheme does not harm either.

I think Caravan and Camping Club may have a similar scheme.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bob - ask the Mods for my email address. I think I may be able to help you a bit more but don't really want to put it all on the forum for obvious security reasons. Ray S

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
The January issue of the camping & caravan club magazine are showing 180 days, its an advert so dont know the conditions that come with it, worth a phone call?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
RayS said:
Bob - ask the Mods for my email address. I think I may be able to help you a bit more but don't really want to put it all on the forum for obvious security reasons. Ray S

Consider it done :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts